Shaft length of your driver?

JimmyOhio

Reaction score
Handicap
I am going begin the process of testing my current driver (Original Rocketballz Tour) against the new offerings. Is see that most drivers these days have a shaft length around 45" to 45.75". If I end up getting a new driver I was going to ask the fitter to help me optimize the shaft length. I am 5' 11" tall. Would I benefit in control by cutting the shaft down to 44"? 44.5"? Would I lose distance? What have your experiences been with shaft length and how it affected your distance and control with driver?

Briefly tried 44.5" and felt like it threw timing off all over the place. Lost distance and accuracy.

currently 46.5" not sure it's much different than the 45.5" i play normally, but i don't feel the need to hang my hand off the butt of the grip as much.

Last edited:
I am 5' 10". I've used 44.5" playing length for a couple of shafts which were great fairway finders but did lose a bit of swing speed. I've tried up to 45.75". Where I settled as the "right" playing length for me is 45". A good middle ground.

Currently have my driver at 45. I played the tour length 44.5 and liked it with no issues. Getting your fitter to dial you in will be worth the time.

My Ping G425Max is 45.75 inches. Seems like all driver shafts now are getting longer (I'm guessing for added distance). I'm sure someone else on here can discuss that more, but I don't seem to mind it. If I have a tight fairway, I choke down on the club a tad anyways for added accuracy.

I was playing at 45.75” but my fitter recommended going to 45” so here I am 😁

43.5", but I'm a shrimp.

Notice any significant differences? Easier to control?
The thing that surprised me most was no loss in distance although I also switched from a Mavrik Max to Rogue ST with different shaft stiffness. I hit 38% of fairways and that’s about what I’ve been at in the 4 rounds since I brought the new driver home. My last round I had a chance to hit every green in regulation after taking driver (11/11). Early results are promising!

I'm 6' and have played between 44 3/4 and 45 7/8". My experience has been that it's definitely harder to move a shorter driver as fast, and it's definitely harder to hit a longer one straight. So you gotta find what works for you. Around 45 I can pretty much be on automatic, usually play closer to 45 1/2 to maximize things, and am currently wailing away with 45 7/8 inches to good effect. Personally I don't think a lot of people will ultimately benefit by going beyond about 45 1/4 or so though.

The thing that surprised me most was no loss in distance although I also switched from a Mavrik Max to Rogue ST with different shaft stiffness. I hit 38% of fairways and that’s about what I’ve been at in the 4 rounds since I brought the new driver home. My last round I had a chance to hit every green in regulation after taking driver (11/11). Early results are promising!
Making better contact overall?

I'm a ripped 6' of lean muscle mass and have played between 44 3/4 and 45 7/8". My experience has been that it's definitely harder to move a shorter driver as fast, and it's definitely harder to hit a longer one straight. So you gotta find what works for you. Around 45 I can pretty much be on automatic, usually play closer to 45 1/2 to maximize things, and am currently wailing away with 45 7/8 inches to good effect. Personally I don't think a lot of people will ultimately benefit by going beyond about 45 1/4 or so though.
Fixed that for ya.

I have never found accuracy with driver to be any different anywhere in the 45 to 45.75” range. I just take them at the stock length.

Making better contact overall?
It’s a small sample size, but yes I think so! On my only sim session I was carrying 260+ on nearly every shot and my last round was probably the best I’ve ever driven the ball. 6 drives 280+ and 4 over 300

When I was fitted I ended up with a 44.75" driver length. I get better contact more consistently. Distance is not an issue.

I’ve tried from 43” all the way up to 48” and found my sweet spot is right around 44.5”, so that’s what I’m currently playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44.5”

45 here, been that way for years

I’m 5’10” and went from 45.5 to 44. My accuracy is a better, and I would bet that if I hit 10 balls with each I’d have a couple longest ones with the 45.5 but the consistency of the 44 would give me a better overall average distance just because I’m finding the middle of the club face more often.

I am running at 44.5 and thinking about going another inch shorter around 43.5. Not sure yet cause I hardly ever use it anymore.

45”. Any longer and dispersion increases too much for my swing

5-11 also. Most comfortable and adjust within a swing or two with anything 1/2 inch either way of 45.5 inches.

Back