Shaft Fitting Now or Later?

76Driver

Reaction score
Getting back into the game and found a deal on a nice set of used irons with Nippon NS 950 GH neo stiff shafts. Have been doing a lot of research on them and now am a bit worried I may need a bit stiffer shaft. Would it make sense to get fit for shafts before starting lessons or should I get mechanics worked out prior to a shaft fit?

Thanks in advance!

When I got back into the game, I found a used set of irons that roughly matched what I used to play and started with them. They were good enough for me to start to relearn the game and then I updated (part exchanging on CPO so they didn't cost me much for 18 months use) them about 18 months later after lessons and some shaft testing etc.

YMMV.

A

You're going to get varying thoughts on this. Personally, I think it's not worth overthinking and will likely have little impact on your path forward in the short term, but that's just me. Flip a coin and whatever you hope it lands on - just do that.

Personally, I think it's not worth overthinking and will likely have little impact on your path forward in the short term, but that's just me.
Think this is some solid advice!

You're going to get varying thoughts on this. Personally, I think it's not worth overthinking and will likely have little impact on your path forward in the short term, but that's just me. Flip a coin and whatever you hope it lands on - just do
I think this makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

That’s a good shaft. Just play them and see what your results look like, then honestly evaluate whether any issues are the result of swing faults or the clubs. Yeah, I know, that’s the hard part. Thats where professional opinions from a qualified teacher come in.

My suggestion, take the lessons first, talk to the instructor about his thoughts about shafts for you. It's spring, major manufactures run demo days at courses, go to one, have them fit your swing with a shaft that fits your swing. They know best. Doesn't cost anything. Since your fitted right, you won't wonder if it's the shafts or your swing. You'll know

Back