baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Yay or nay?

Any horror stories?

I once bought a used high end driver shaft that I did not know had a 1” extension in it until I went to re-grip it. I never knew or felt it performed sub par. I ended up pulling the extension and playing the shaft at the shorter length which I believe was 44” and honestly didn’t see any drop in performance.

You can get away with an inch.

I have a 2" extension on my driver. Had it about 2 months with no issues.

I put a 1/2" on.

will report back if it explodes. :LOL:

Are you adding to one of the shorter shafts in your driver?

I'm against them on multiple levels, but tough choices have to be made with expensive shafts sometimes.

What was the actual length and weight of that 1/2" extension??

Are you adding to one of the shorter shafts in your driver?

yeah, I've played my Linq gunmetal 3w shaft in the driver on and off for awhile. it had the arccos grip on it so already had a 1/4". but changing grips to std I added 1/2" extender.

also trying a ventus blue 3w shaft soon. :LOL:

I'm against them on multiple levels, but tough choices have to be made with expensive shafts sometimes.

What was the actual length and weight of that 1/2" extension??

one of the plastic ones from golfworks i had lying around. 🤷‍♂️

cut it to length, might have been 1" now that i think about it. :unsure:

one of the plastic ones from golfworks i had lying around. 🤷‍♂️

cut it to length, might have been 1" now that i think about it. :unsure:
I meant total length. 3 inches inside the existing shaft, 1/2" outside? That kind of thing. And the weight of it.

"One of the plastic ones from golf works" though... :unsure:

Yep.

I'm out. :LOL:

I meant total length. 3 inches inside the existing shaft, 1/2" outside? That kind of thing. And the weight of it.

"One of the plastic ones from golf works" though... :unsure:

Yep.

I'm out. :LOL:

shaftex.jpg

I have extended many shafts - for myself and for several friends. No problems or issues. But - I dont use off the shelf extenders -- they are not good and will fail. What I use is a old graphite shaft , scrape all the paint off - find the exact section that fits the inside of the Good Shaft. let it go in about 4" - cut it right there. Next cut the remaining part of the old shaft that is sticking out to the length you want to extend. This is now your newly made Extension SPUD. This will be epoxied into the Good Shaft. Find another section of an old Graphite Shaft the will slip onto the Spud that is sticking out or external so you can match the outside diameter of the good shaft. Epoxy that guy in place . you now have a light weight Shaft extension that is just as strong as the original shaft. And exactly the same outside diameter and material of the Good Shaft. Done it many times, even 2 inch extension to get a full 48" driver.(y):love::eek::eek:

I have extended some clubs with no issues. Just make sure you get the right sized extension that fits snug. If it is loose and there is play it will fail. I personally would never go more than an inch.

Anything an inch or less should be fine.

If done correctly with right sized extensions and properly prepped shaft and extension possibly no issue so as long as it’s typically not longer than a inch max.

Back