tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
So at what age and/or point is it considered OK to move up to the senior tees?

I'm about to turn 56, but can still hit my drives 250-275 yds. on avg. and currently play gold tees at 6300, and occasionally the whites at 5900.

Also, what is considered "senior tee yardage" on average? 5400 yds or less??

My playing partner says I still drive it too long to be moving up, but how long am I supposed to wait??

Just curious on other people's opinions.

I sure wish we could get past the "Senior Tees", "Women's Tees", etc mentality. Unless you are playing in a league or structured event where tees are selected based on age (which is another one). Play the distance that gives you the most enjoyment.

Technically, the slope/rating adjustment should make the argument of where you should play obsolete. That's assuming you're playing net. If not, then play from wherever you want/have the most fun.

where do you have the most fun?
Whites are the most fun for sure, since I can usually get on the par 5's in 2 well struck shots on my home course. But then I get grief for "hitting it too long" from those tees.

I’m 42, 5’8” 165lb and lift weights. I hit from the senior tees and I enjoy it. This is my second year and I hit my driver around 200y.

There are formulas based on how far you hit your driver - that suggest where you should play from. Back years ago, when I turned 50, I jumped at getting to go up to the “senior” tees. I’ve never been a really long driver (I’ve had moments)... but, the senior’s have made the game more fun!

I'm about to turn 56, but can still hit my drives 250-275 yds. on avg. and currently play gold tees at 6300, and occasionally the whites at 5900.

My playing partner says I still drive it too long to be moving up, but how long am I supposed to wait??

Basically what others said - play where you have the most fun. I sometimes move around different tees because it changes the way course plays and the angles and club selection which makes it fun for me

Age has nothing to do with tee box selection.

At 70 years old, I recently moved to the senior tees when my drives lowered into the 210-220 yard range.

If my drives were in the 230+ range, I'd play from the middle tees.

250+ yards I'd play from the back tees.

I'm 69, my brother in law is 71 and the two others I play with are in their late fifties. We play from whatever tees are around 6000 yards.

F199D749-90D0-4E40-877A-241D0451E6BE.jpeg

At what age? I think age only matters in tournaments - so one takes advantage of the rules as to seniors.

Otherwise, it's what you want to be your challenge of the day.

Sometimes I play 6600, other times 6200, sometimes a mix of the two ... depends on the course.

First of all, there is no standard for this and most places have abandoned using the labels senior, ladies, or junior tees.

There have been some attempts to create guidelines for tee selection. Most of those use the distance you hit a specific club then give you a course yardage number to use to find the ‘correct’ tee. At best these are gross approximations as they don’t take into account course layout, difficulty, elevation, or any other factors.

Some pretty good answers. I’m driving the ball 180-190 and playing around 5,000 yards. Moving up allowed me to focus on shot making rather hitting as far as I can. The game is much more enjoyable.

I don't think either method we use is correct but I guess they have to draw defined lines for completions.
Tees are based on age in or large skins group. Blues under 50. Whites 50-64. Gold's 65-79. Reds 80 and up.
Tees are based on association handicap in our regional traveling senior Association.
One size fits all doesn't work well in either situation imo.
Distance potential should be the primary factor.

I’m 52 and will play from the whites unless I play with my neighbor he’s 65 then I’ll play from the senior tees just to speed up the round. I don’t see much of a difference in scoring between the 2

No one wants to pull a long iron or hybrid on every approach shot, so find a good yardage mix, if that's what you want.

I agree with most of the other responders. It's not so much about age as it is about how far one hits the ball. I'm 73 and tore my rotator cuff a couple of years ago. My drives now average between 180 and 200 depending on conditions. I recently started playing tees set at 6000 yds instead of 6250 on occasion. Unquestionably I'm scoring better and having more fun when I play the shorter course. There are guys my age that can still get it out there in the 240 yard range. However, I can still frequently beat them from 6250 if I chip and putt well.

My main two guys I play with are 65 and 70 years old, I turn 61 this year. We normally play the whites (around 5900 yards), but occasionally move up a tee or play combos if somebody is nursing an injury/dealing with more aches and pains than usual.

I don't think age should be the primary factor in determining what tees you should be playing. I know some 70+ guys who can still move the ball pretty good and have no problem playing from the whites, or even the blues. I also know some younger (relatively speaking) guys who are short knockers and struggle from back there, and should realistically be playing further forward. Play the tees that suit your game best, regardless of how old you are.

275 for real u need to be at 6700 min

If you legit average 260ish with Driver I think the 6300 tees are right for you; move to 6000 or less when your avg drops to 230ish.

In Denmark, our bookingsystem “GolfBox.dk” suggest which tee you should Play from, on any course, based on your handicap. OfF course the suggestions is based on the local clubs “knowledge”. We use GolfBox for all courses.
Some clubs only have 2 or 3 tees, some have more.
I Think it is a good idea for any club, to recommend a tee, based on handicap.

I Will turn 61 in a Month, and currently have a handicap off 11. Still Working to get to a single handicap.

I almost played from the 4700 yard red tees the other day but played 5500 yards instead and regretted it. I was playing an iron-only bag and my maximum distance was only 170 yards. I was not able to reach most of the par 4s in regulation. It was fun but could have been more enjoyable.

Back