Senior Golfers…how do you identify?

I’m 69. Body is holding up pretty well. And, I’m playing my best golf of my life. Got down to 8.6 last summer and will be chasing that this year. Scores are what they are. But the competitiveness is still there. Compete in senior amateur tour events With two wins in the last year. Shorter tees? Yes. dont let my easier demeanor fool you. Inside, I’m out there to stomp you. And most all my senior friends have the exact same attitude. We may be older, but we don’t know that. We still think we can win. And sometimes do.

I turned 73 this year. I identify as a senior mainly because it gets me discounts :), otherwise I don't really think about my age much. I'm in the gym 3-4 times/week. Do cardio. Yard work in the summertime, shoveling snow in the wintertime. Other than my eyesight and hearing not being what they once were, I don't have much in the way of disabilities or limitations.

Have no idea where my game is. Plan to find out this year.

Dude, AARP is desperate for people.
I'll have nothing to do with those people.

I am 79. The last time that I played was May 2,2023. At 77, I was still breaking 80 and won the first flight in our club championship. My back went out and I had surgery in January. I hope to get back in May but I am not sure. I miss the game and my friends. Enjoy the game and be thankful to be out there.

I'm 76, and the youngster in my golf group. Arthritic knees and back are a constant reminder that I'm "old." We play twice a week weather permitting, and we all have fun. Maybe we give each other putts that other people might think extreme, we play "winter rules" year round, and we don't take golf, or each other too seriously any more. We were all pretty good golfers a few years ago, but now BSing, smoking a couple of good cigars, and solving the world's problems are almost as enjoyable as the golf!

In many ways I’ve embraced the aging process. Getting old doesn’t mean getting more crotchety - although that’s what some seem to think. While there are some who reinforce the stereotype, they were probably every bit as crotchety in their youth as they are now. All anyone has to do is to read a few pages of the Over 60 thread to realize most of us appreciate life and the ability to play this great game - even if at a slightly diminished level. Most of us know the advancements made in equipment have turned back the clock. And most of us embrace technology. We’re a lot more accepting of changes in the game because we've been around, and we know change is nothing new. Like the saying goes… the more things change, the more they stay the same.

We laugh at ourselves as we start seeing the telltale signs and it becomes more and more evident that Father Time is undefeated. Mostly, I laugh at some of the younger folks both within and beyond the game of golf who have a disdain for us because - as was the case with us at their age - they’ve yet to realize they will 100% become us in the eyes of their children. The ones who b*tch the loudest about old golfers are themselves destined to become the crotchetiest of old f**ks.

Those of us in our 50s and 60s can learn about this game from golfers in their 70s, 80s and 90s. If nothing else, they played this game well with equipment we wouldn't even consider playing today. For several years now, I've envied those who have lost distance and can still kick ass at this game by advancing the ball in straight line and finishing up every hole with a very good short game and putting. While it may not be in the stars, that's the game I'm working towards with every practice and every round of golf.

Each generation is luckier than the previous in that there's more information available in regard to the aging process, longevity and quality of life. By the time we reach the age of a senior golfer, we’ve lost a lot of loved ones and are coming to grips with our mortality. More than ever, I realize how important it is to take advantage of that information and make lifestyle changes if for no other reason, to continue getting out on the course.

Soon to be 74. Happy now with 175 drives in the middle. I've tried to improve scoring by practicing about 70% of the time from 100 yds in. Hope to limit the doubles. We shall see.

58 and a little beat up physically after a lot of sports growing up and a 40+ year job that involves a fair amount of very physical work. That said… I don’t think I feel my age… if that makes any sense.

I can ignore most of the aches and pains at this time but am going to begin a program that involves a lot of work on maintaining flexibility.

Once I’m not working, I’ll add some light to moderate weight training to the mix and see how it all goes.

I never feel like a senior golfer as long as that old fart @robrandalgz is playing with me.

Back