Senior Golfers…how do you identify?

I am 77 years old and still able to maintain a single digit handicap. When I started losing distance due to age, I decided to get better around the greens. I practice pitching, chipping and putting at least twice a week. Right now I am recovering from knee replacement surgery but hope to have my game back in shape in the near future.

“Roadworthiness “ plays a significant part in particular, participation an the ability to play “ as you were “

For me being a tradie , physical activity during the work day , subconsciously builds the body over many years ..
If you don’t have injury / accident
Or other medical condition .

Leaves you in really good shape to continue on , post work life .

Hmmm, deep question.
Honestly I've been getting my body ready for OLD age for some time. In my late 40s I went from 7 day workouts to 5. Mid 50s I stopped heavy Benches (275-315). And at 60 I reduced to 3 days a weekand 4 in Winter. It's all so I wouldn't have any long term injuries. Never thought I'd injure my BACK again with several Moves.
I embrace my age and gladly take Senior Discounts. 😀

63 and on SS. Three days a week lifting as much or more than ever. 6 days a week 12-17k steps. 2-3 times a week golf stretches and medicine ball work. I am hitting the ball longer now than 20 years ago.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

I'm 78, and last year I shot my age or better about 20 times (senior tees, of course!). As another poster mentioned, I've realized that I have to work on my chipping and putting in order to score. Finally, I STILL need to learn that I MUST invest in my body by exercising more, instead of trying to "buy a better game" by throwing money away on the "latest and greatest" clubs!!

Turned 69 last week. Never was long but worked to add @20mph CHS when I returned to golf following an 18 yr hiatus at 58. Peaked when I was 62/63 but have been steadily losing speed since, especially last 2 years. In my head I still think I'm much younger than my creaky old ass reminds me of whenever I over do it. I don't forsee that changing anytime soon.

69. I don't think about it. Just play golf.

Due to tech, I haven't lost distance but then I wasn't long in the first place. Have always worked on short game and putting.

I plan on getting longer with better technique and speed training, just like younger golfers.

I grow tired around Hole 15-16, so I must find a way around that ...

Last edited:
66 here. I’m solidly a senior when it comes to discounts. Everything else , NO.

64 I identify as a degenerating old dude with a lifetime of good memories and experiences.

Last edited:
Over 60 as well and I forget that… not that I care either. I still hit it a long way, haven’t seen any drop off in score either. I just keep doing what I’m doing.

There is a scramble I play in where they said I could play the senior tees. I might do it just to be a jerk.

i'm 54 Not yet considered a Senior (no aarp card) but I have accepted where I am physically in life and don't try to do things that younger people do.
There is still improvement to be had at my age. With age comes some wisdom!

i'm 54 Not yet considered a Senior (no aarp card) but I have accepted where I am physically in life and don't try to do things that younger people do.
There is still improvement to be had at my age. With age comes some wisdom!
Dude, AARP is desperate for people. They start you at age 50. I signed up back then because at Dunks if you bought a medium coffee you flash your aarp card and you get a free donut.

Dude, AARP is desperate for people. They start you at age 50. I signed up back then because at Dunks if you bought a medium coffee you flash your aarp card and you get a free donut.
They are desperate for people because the sell your personal information to anybody with money. Most people want nothing to do with those scoundrels.

They are desperate for people because the sell your personal information to anybody with money. Most people want nothing to do with those scoundrels.
I did it for a year and was too embarrassed to whip out my card for a free $1.00 donut. No more… screw them AND the free tote bag😂😂

I am technically a senior according to my club at 53. But I don’t think I am since I still beat guys a lot younger than me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm turning 67 in a month. My approach hasn't changed. I want to be as good as I can while having fun doing it. I'm willing to put in the work. But I don't sweat the limitations I can't do anything about. I'm a lifelong learner and have found it pretty amazing what is possible IF you are willing to apply yourself.

A couple of years ago a guy where I lived and played turned 99. They planned a birthday tournament for him and about 40 relatives and friends. He went out in the first group. He's my hero!

I am 76 and just plain "old"! I finally gave into my age and moved up to the senior tees two years ago. I am now struggling to maintain that single digit handicap that I have had for decades.

I’m 70 and enjoy the game. I have rounds where I’m pretty much as good as I was 10 years ago… and I have rounds where I realize that I’m 70 now, and not 60. I still get a kick out of a good shot… and am still dissappointed with a bad one (lightly). Just blessed to be able to be out there.

Like I said, I’m 70 now. If you are anywhere close to that… does it blow your mind to think that if you were a “senior tour” player - that your career there would be long gone!?!

I’m 59 and have some aches and pains but I don’t feel like a senior living in Naples as I’m surrounded mostly by people older than me wherever I go.

I also have time to exercise daily so my strength and cardio are in better shape than they were for much of my working years when life’s responsibilities allowed for little free time. I’ve lost a little speed with the driver but that is coming back now that my shoulder is on the mend. I know that Father Time is undefeated but I’m trying to hold him off for as long as possible. :)

Last edited:
I went to an old school course with some elder statesmen, I was the youngest by 10-19 years. We played the forward tees, 5300 some yards. I guess at 64 I am not ready yet. Hit most par 4's with a 4H and a wedge. most of the greens were well bunkered so I kept the driver in the bag. Played the 4H because its only been on real grass a few times so far,.

Will be 80 next month and partner is 73. Still don't have to play Ladies tees. We both love being seniors who usually beat much younger men because we can both shoot our age or better.

Back