Scotty Phantom x 5.5 ('22 model)

Golfmasta69

Reaction score
Handicap
Curious if there are any fellow tinkerers out there that have messed around with the weights in their putters and what results they had.

I did my "own putter fitting" by tinkering with my '22 Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5, by trying different head weights. Took out the two stock 10 gram weights and replaced them with 45 grams. My thinking was the heavier weights would help with my stroke.. whether faster or slower greens by making the face more stable..results however have been mixed.. at times I like the heaviness of the putter but wonder if Im struggling with speed control due to the added weight.. Bottom line I feel I have tinkered my way down a rabbit hole and now not sure where to get back to.. are weight issues a real vs feel thing...or in my head...

But lately when I play slower greens "I feel" the putter being so heavy is making my stroke not so smooth. This weeks tinker is probably going to be going back to lighter weights in the putter head.. maybe 25 grams...

I know practice, setup fundamentals etc are critical to putting success, but just feel a well fitted putter that also fits one's eye is also a plus..

I've messed with the weights in every putter that's had that option, also done it with lead tape.
Find your happy place.
My current putter has a head weight of 360g, and a 93g grip, playing at 33.25 inches. No changeable weights.
I left the Carmeron farm about 10 years ago.
If I want to adjust weight on my putters for feel, I might change grips or use lead tape on the lighter heads.
Don't be afraid to play around and find the weight and feel you like.

Back