Scents and or tastes that trigger vivid memories?

El Rayo X

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I used to ride my bike to the beach before dawn when I was a kid to go surfing.
It was often foggy and damp, the bike path/trail was lined with licorice/anise plants.
The salt air and licorice mix is like a time machine……instantly back on the bike, surfboard under my arm, hoping for some good waves….

Then there is Dewar’s peppermint taffy chews. I hadn’t had one in about 30 years when someone brought some to our OR break room. One bite and I was transported back to around 1965 at Christmas in my grandparent’s living room.
Very vivid in my mind, to the point I could see my long dead Great grandparents, great uncles and distant cousins faces and almost hear their voices chattering in conversation.
Anyone have similar stories?
Let’s hear ’em

Southern Comfort still reminds me of the time I drank most of a bottle and then puked it all up in high school.

Tequila is a massive NO for me even after 35 years. I cant do it and wont even try.

Chlorine brings me back to my diving days. I wore that cologne for 5 years straight 😆

Grilled cheese with Colby cheese instead of American or cheddar instantly transports me back to my youth sitting at my grandma's table. Grandpa liked Colby so that's the kind of cheese they used.

Southern Comfort still reminds me of the time I drank most of a bottle and then puked it all up in high school.

That sounds like Wild Turkey to me!

Cool Blue Gatorade for me. I can't smell or taste it without thinking of it and Everclear back in high school. Not a good memory.

Burnt JetA fuel reminds me of my days working on the ramp when I first got into aviation.

Some years back I was driving down a street... when seemingly out of nowhere... I sensed the strongest smell of yeast rolls like we used to get in elementary school. Don’t know where the smell was coming from... but, in my mind, I was immediately transferred back to those days nearly 60 years earlier. I hadn’t even thought of that aroma in years! It was strangely amazing!

Pleasant memories:
- The scent of honeysuckle, reminds me of numerous childhood occasions
- The smell and taste of a fine cigar brings some great golf memories to mind

NOT pleasant memories:
- The smell or sight of Sno-Caps candies (almost gagged typing that 🤮)
- The smell or sight of lime-scented shave cream (fraternity initiation nightmare)

When I was about 19, I got blitzed beyond belief on Scotch. I puked so much I think I saw some toenail come up. To this day the smell of it turns my stomach.

Popcorn, like really good smelling popcorn (not burnt popcorn). Anytime I smell it, it reminds me of my Dad. Popcorn was always our treat at home. Making it on the stove, from a very early age is one of my favorite memories.

Certain women’s fragrances are just tied to certain people. I catch scent of it, and I immediately start looking for that person.

The scent of Jager. Freakin nope. Helped a few people one night after they got after it on a jager night. That’s a smell I won’t ever forget, and just haven’t wanted anything to do with that since 🤮

The smell of a two-stroke outboard makes me smile. Lots of early mornings ripping across the lake at 65+ mph in the pre-dawn light with Dad.

Bacardi Limon...bad bad bad bad night in 1995.

The smell of the Pirates of the Caribbean. Takes me back to the first time I visited Disneyland when I was four. My memory has never forgotten that smell.

Weed. Smelled it for the first time as a toddler and I never forgot it (even though I had no idea what it was back then).

I used to do a few fly-in fishing trips to Canada every year with 5-7 other guys. Normal breakfast at the camp was bacon and eggs. Every morning now, I cook bacon and the smell of the bacon causes a flash back to those fishing trips.

Oh my lord…I remember back in Microbiology in College and the professor opened up a vial of Clostridium difficile.

Immediate gagging pursued.

Fresh cut grass. Puts me right back on the football field in high school (WAY too many years ago).

Burnt race gas and castor oil reminds me of countless desert trips riding two-stroke dirt bikes and quads with old friends.

My great aunt planted lilac bushes in my parents yard when they bought their first house. I spent my whole life in that house, my parents still live in it, and the lilac bush is now a lilac tree. So lilacs, immediately brings thoughts of home.

Couple things come to mind.

Captain Morgan's 🤢

Two stroke motors - reminds me of my younger years when I craved cold and snow for snowmobiling.

Grilled cheese with Colby cheese instead of American or cheddar instantly transports me back to my youth sitting at my grandma's table. Grandpa liked Colby so that's the kind of cheese they used.
Colby longhorn at my Nana's.....now I'm drooling a little bit. May got to the store for some today.
Thanks!

Only time I've gotten so drunk that I have no memory of half the evening....Drank about 1/2 a fifth in a hurry. Left the party with a girl named Bambi, don't remember going to her place, though. Last memory was going down some stairs with her.
Never again

Back