It sucks that to get Fox Soccer you have to get the most expensive package on DirecTV ($83, when the next price down is $39), plus and extra $15 for Fox Soccer Plus. On Dish, you can get it in the $45 package (the 2nd most expensive; the highest is $79), plus $15 for Soccer Plus. We have to wait until May to do anything, but it looks like Dish will get a look from us.

And those prices are only for the first 12 months; after that they go up $25 or $30 a month.

Also, by May, hopefully, Google internet will be in place so we'll check those rates too.

I'm still a much bigger fan of cable than satellite but we don't have as many options as you do in the states. Our cable company uses true fiber to all the nodes and the internet is blazing fast, the cable is great and the phone is good too. I like having it all on one bill, and the satellite companies around here don't have the HD options that cable does and really never can based on my understanding of the current satellite technology.

I'm still a much bigger fan of cable than satellite but we don't have as many options as you do in the states. Our cable company uses true fiber to all the nodes and the internet is blazing fast, the cable is great and the phone is good too. I like having it all on one bill, and the satellite companies around here don't have the HD options that cable does and really never can based on my understanding of the current satellite technology.
Out of curiosity, where do you think cable get their signal from?

Out of curiosity, where do you think cable get their signal from?

They all get their signals from satellites smalls and then distribute them from there. But, with my (granted limited) understanding of how satellite tv gets there signals at your house works, vs house digital cable does means that cable should in theory always be able to offer you more HD options than satellite because of the way LNBF's are able to get HD signals.
I would have to look more into it and am not all that interested. I just know that I don't want any part of the satellite companies in my area.

I'm just more tired of the cable company in my area! I think I am going to start rotating on a two year basis with all of them from now on to get the better "introductory" prices.

Especially since we are going to drop our land line soon.

I'm just more tired of the cable company in my area! I think I am going to start rotating on a two year basis with all of them from now on to get the better "introductory" prices.

Thats a great idea. I've been with my cable company now for 12 years now, and I've been happy for 99% of that time but I'm tired of seeing new clients get better rates than I am.

Here's a question for the satellite people. With cable, if there is an outage, it affects a huge area. If you have an outage is it limited to your house (such as snow on your receiver, etc.) or do all of your neighbors lose their satellite too?

Thats a great idea. I've been with my cable company now for 12 years now, and I've been happy for 99% of that time but I'm tired of seeing new clients get better rates than I am.

Exactly. Time Warner has an $89 (plus taxes) rate for new members for cable (additional for premium channels), phone and internet. I have the exact same thing (but also have an extra HD box for $10) that I am paying $143 (plus taxes) for.

I've been with TWC for a long time now 5+ years, and are seriously considering DirecTV totally based on price and service. TWC is a joke, For you DirecTV users, which is the lowest package I can get and still have Golf in HD?

When Uverse became available I switched the first week it was available in my neighborhood and haven't regretted it. The only single thing I liked better about the satellite service was the DVR itself. I have not had a single service or hardware issue with Uverse except for a very rare reboot issue with the DVR.

Back