Ryan Braun Wins Appeal

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/ne...23&content_id=26813960&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

[h=3]Braun exonerated, won't be suspended[/h]By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com | 02/23/12 5:19 PM ES

PHOENIX -- The verdict is in for National League MVP Ryan Braun: Not guilty.

The Brewers outfielder is the first Major Leaguer known to successfully appeal an apparent violation of MLB's Drug Treatment and Prevention Program. The 2-1 ruling, from a three-member special panel that first convened last month in New York, spares Braun a suspension that might have covered as many as 50 games, preserves his reputation and positions him to man left field for the Brewers on Opening Day as the team begins its defense of the NL Central crown.
"As a part of our drug testing program, the Commissioner's Office and the Players Association agreed to a neutral third party review for instances that are under dispute," MLB executive vice president for labor relations Rob Manfred said in a statement. "While we have always respected that process, Major League Baseball vehemently disagrees with the decision rendered today by arbitrator Shyam Das."

This day had been looming since October, when Braun was required to submit a urine test during the playoffs that reportedly contained a very high level of testosterone. Typically, such findings remain secret while a player exhausts his appellate rights, but in Braun's case the result was leaked in a Dec. 10 report by ESPN's "Outside the Lines."
In the meantime, Braun had become the Brewers' first league MVP in 22 years, edging the Dodgers' Matt Kemp and former Brewers teammate Prince Fielder in balloting by members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America.
Braun batted .332 with 33 home runs, 111 RBIs and 33 stolen bases in a charmed 2011 season. He signed a club-record-shattering contract extension in April that made him Brewers property through at least 2020, was voted an All-Star Game starter for the fourth straight season -- though he was forced to withdraw because of a leg injury -- and led Milwaukee to a club-record 96 regular-season wins and its first division crown in nearly three decades. He then became the Brewers' first league MVP since Robin Yount won the American League award for a second time in 1989, a triumph that seemed to promise a dream winter for Braun, who was sitting on the balcony of his oceanside home in Malibu, Calif., when a BBWAA official called with the news.
What no one other than Braun, his closest advisors and a handful of MLB officials knew at that time was that the specter of a suspension loomed. Two weeks later, the rest of the world knew.
The original ESPN report cited two sources who said Braun had tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone, and that a subsequent test found it was synthetic in nature. According to the report, Braun immediately asked to be tested again and the results were negative, though it was unclear how much time had passed between tests.
The night the news broke, a Braun spokesperson released a statement saying, "There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan's complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately because of the process we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated."
Brewers principal owner Mark Attanasio also issued a statement that night, praising Braun as "a model citizen in every sense of the word" while also expressing the club's support for MLB's stringent testing policies. Attanasio urged fans to practice patience while Braun's appeal played out.
Braun replied in a text to MLB.com that night saying he was eager to state his case, but more than a month would pass before he got his chance.
An appeal began Jan. 19, the New York Daily News was first to report, before MLB Players Association executive director Michael Weiner, Manfred and Das.
Two days later, with the panel's ruling pending, Braun accepted his NL MVP Award from the BBWAA at a dinner event in New York.
"Sometimes in life, we all deal with challenges we never expected to endure," Braun told an audience at the Hilton New York. "We have an opportunity to look at those challenges and view them either as obstacles or as opportunities. I've chosen to view every challenge I've ever faced as an opportunity, and this will be no different. I've always believed that a person's character is revealed through the way they deal with those moments of adversity.
"I've always loved and had so much respect for the game of baseball. Everything I've done in my career has been done with that respect and appreciation in mind. And that is why I'm so grateful and humbled to accept this award tonight." Now he'll get a chance to defend it.

I didn't think he'd win it. Congrats to him, but I think he should've been suspended.

Good news for the Brewers and their fans. With no Prince, and the possibility of no Braun, they were sunk from the first pitch.

I didn't think he'd win it. Congrats to him, but I think he should've been suspended.

How can you say that without knowledge of the facts in the case?

I can say whatever I want. I personally think he did steroids, but he very easily may not have. I'm entitled to my opinion though. I think.

I can say whatever I want. I personally think he did steroids, but he very easily may not have. I'm entitled to my opinion though. I think.

My opinion is you did steroids. We can both make baseless claims.

No think, you are entitled to it.

Innocent until proven guilty. But I believe MLB is walking a very dangerous line here. What's good for Braun and MLB, will be good enough for the next guy, and the next guy, so on, right? If Braun wasn't the NL MVP, would this decision have been any different? We will never know, but I think MLB is setting itself up to basically marginalize its testing and disciplinary actions.

I know. But I won't get into this. Opinions is opinions.

And that's your opinion, why is it so hard to understand people can indeed formulate their own opinions and no matter how much you like or dislike that its their prerogative?

If it was clear he was not guilty, it wouldnt have been 2 to 1 only in favor. I would like to know what the guilty vote saw that the other didnt.

Innocent until proven guilty. But I believe MLB is walking a very dangerous line here. What's good for Braun and MLB, will be good enough for the next guy, and the next guy, so on, right? If Braun wasn't the NL MVP, would this decision have been any different? We will never know, but I think MLB is setting itself up to basically marginalize its testing and disciplinary actions.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The MLB has made themselves look like jackwagon's with this in my opinion. Don't declare something like this unless you have iron-clad proof and there's no way something like this could happen, now you look like idiots and have done damage to your testing procedures.

Eh, either way I'd like to hear what all will come out about the arbitration.

And that's your opinion, why is it so hard to understand people can indeed formulate their own opinions and no matter how much you like or dislike that its their prerogative?

he is entitled to his opinion. Maybe Braun did do steroids and got away with it. But according to the test he tested positive for, he did not have steroids or performance enhancers in his system.

he is entitled to his opinion. Maybe Braun did do steroids and got away with it. But according to the test he tested positive for, he did not have steroids or performance enhancers in his system.

Agreed, but, he can still have his opinion and there's is no need to be-little him for that.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. The MLB has made themselves look like jackwagon's with this in my opinion. Don't declare something like this unless you have iron-clad proof and there's no way something like this could happen, now you look like idiots and have done damage to your testing procedures.

Eh, either way I'd like to hear what all will come out about the arbitration.

the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal reported back in December that it was actually Braun's people who leaked the positive result, not MLB.

I think the fact he won his appeal, should have probably cleared the way for a LESSER suspension, not let him off the hook in its entirety. I mean, the positive test was the guilty verdict. And face it, high levels of testosterone don't just show up in anyone and everyone, overnight. And I don't buy these guys excuses that they "didn't know what was in the product they are taking". These guys are world class athletes, make millions and entertain millions with their physical ability. You mean to tell me that are that naive to put just anything in their body? I don't buy it.

Like I said, I think MLB is marginalizing its testing and discipline guidelines, by letting certain players slide by. I hope for his sake and his fans sake, that he is indeed innocent.

Retweet from Buster Olney: Appears Braun's team won because a courier didnt take the positive test to Fedex building thought it was closed Saturday night... protocol?
If this is true, how sad that a cheater won.

Retweet from Buster Olney: Appears Braun's team won because a courier didnt take the positive test to Fedex building thought it was closed Saturday night... protocol?
If this is true, how sad that a cheater won.

That would be a definite wow.

The courier thing seems to be picking up steam. RT: Bruan test sample collector thought FedEx/Kinkos was closed because it was late on a Saturday. MLB is livid and considering options.
Maybe its not over yet.

This thing wreaks entirely!
The idea of how it was won and on the merits is shady at best and MLB is NOT happy at all.
Be a fan, dont support, whatever works for you, but dont belittle anybody for the opinion that he did do steroids when the appeal was won on a technicality.

Official statement from MLB:

Major League Baseball considers the obligations of the Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program essential to the integrity of our game, our Clubs and all of the players who take the field. It has always been Major League Baseball’s position that no matter who tests positive, we will exhaust all avenues in pursuit of the appropriate discipline. We have been true to that position in every instance, because baseball fans deserve nothing less.
As a part of our drug testing program, the Commissioner’s Office and the Players Association agreed to a neutral third party review for instances that are under dispute. While we have always respected that process, Major League Baseball vehemently disagrees with the decision rendered today by arbitrator Shyam Das.

JB, do you know if the courier thing is real? It seems almost made up.

JB, do you know if the courier thing is real? It seems almost made up.

All I have is a quote from a media friend in the midwest.

"This courier thing seems off base, but it is making the rounds as if it is fact. I will shoot you a call tomorrow and let you know what I found out."

I just read the ESPN report, which stated that Braun's case was a chain of custody issue. If that's the case, then Braun may have gotten away with it. But at the sametime, procedures are in place for a reason. I said in an earlier thread on the issue, I may get rid of my #8 jersey. I am not happy about this. But if the courier screwed up, then MLB knows where to fix the problem.

I just read the ESPN report, which stated that Braun's case was a chain of custody issue. If that's the case, then Braun may have gotten away with it. But at the sametime, procedures are in place for a reason. I said in an earlier thread on the issue, I may get rid of my #8 jersey. I am not happy about this. But if the courier screwed up, then MLB knows where to fix the problem.

Guess that makes these posts look slightly ridiculous.

Back