Rory Loses Cool on Twitter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Twitter gives a direct connection to athletes and athletes a direct connection to media and fans. However things such as these should not happen in my opinion. Rory needs to let this stuff go. Its the reporters job to comment on what he sees. It was bad course management and most said the same thing. Does that mean, according to Rory, outside of those that have achieved huge tour success, media should not comment on his play?

Yes, athletes have the right to respond to criticism and frankly I like to see it once in a while as the media has had it too easy in the past. However do it properly and in my opinion this is another sign of a maturity issue that this gentleman is going through right now.

McIlroy double-bogeyed the 18th hole at the Irish Open, then was criticized on Twitter by Jay Townsend, a Golf Channel analyst and former European Tour player.

"Some of the worst course management I have ever seen beyond under 10's boys golf competition," Townsend posted after McIlory hit his approach shot into the water at 18.

Picture%2025-thumb-470x475-39642.png

McIlroy did not take the criticism in stride.

"@JayATownsend shut up.... You're a commentator and a failed golfer, your opinion means nothing!" he wrote.

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...your-opinion-means-nothing.html#ixzz1TPutETc8

This isn't good but I don't think he will get to much heat for the comments. The guy was being a jerk, even though I didn't really understand the top part of the conversation.

Fiery little US Open Champion.

I agree with Rory.

lol he'll regret that one tomorrow. He was certainly out of line with the childish "shut up" followed by even more childish insult. I'm sure this will be the last time he goofs on twitter.

*edit: I do agree he is allowed to let the reporter know he disapproves, but just needed to do it in a more mature way.

• Admin
This isn't good but I don't think he will get to much heat for the comments. The guy was being a jerk, even though I didn't really understand the top part of the conversation.

He wrote about the horrible course management and the response was shut up you failed golfer. I think he does get some heat for it.

Rory believes that if he acts like TW then he will win more majors. :D

Edit: oh wait...forgot that TW would never interact on Twitter without it going through his people. Nevermind.

Well all that shows is that today, Jay Townsend is better at his current job than Rory is at his. Jay got his reaction and story, but Rory didn't get his score.

He really needs someone like Darren Clarke, Paddy, Paul McGinley or even GMac to take him aside and give him some tips on how to handle the attention best.

It seems Rors is still a bit of a child. Grow up, kid.

He really needs someone like Darren Clarke, Paddy, Paul McGinley or even GMac to take him aside and give him some tips on how to handle the attention best.

Definitely and well said.
He is struggling with the maturity growth and the attention he is getting at the moment and hopefully one of the elder guys can assist.

He wrote about the horrible course management and the response was shut up you failed golfer. I think he does get some heat for it.

He will get some heat, but he's a kid that must seem like he's at the top of the world and getting criticized for one hole. I just don't think there's a reason for the Jay guy to be doing that. He didn't have to include the part about the 10 year old boys. Also JB, what was the caddie talk about? Was it the caddy's decision or something?

I'm waiting for the weak retraction from Rory.

Got to love Twitter.

Though I do think Rory was a little harsh with his comments and out of line, Jay Townsand was far from professional himself. As a former player I would expect him to know what really ticks players off and when you say anything about playing like a 10 year old, an pro athlete is going to be ticked off.

Basically, shame on both of them for their comments in my opinion.

He will get heat and then his handlers will stop his candid Twitter usage, which I actually enjoy. He's 22 and just doubled 18 in a tournament so I'm not surprised by it. He has just as much right to say what he wants as the "journalist" has the right to criticize. He obviously intended that to be a pretty sharp insult to Rory by using the boys under 10 line. It always looks bad when athletes say people that didn't play or couldn't make it in the pros should shutup, but that's how most of them feel and I can understand them having that feeling (not saying I agree or disagree with it). Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well said guys. I don't like Rory sometimes but when you take away the golf he is just someone growing up. He will get heat and I see nothing wrong with getting it. See how he handles it.

Definitely and well said.
He is struggling with the maturity growth and the attention he is getting at the moment and hopefully one of the elder guys can assist.

Well all that shows is that today, Jay Townsend is better at his current job than Rory is at his. Jay got his reaction and story, but Rory didn't get his score.

Thing is, I'm sure the same or worse has happened in the past in press calls and interviews, but again the Twitter visibility means that everyone sees it. It has to be a quicker learning process for these young guys nowadays.

You can't blame him when someone is speculating about your caddy with no proof. I would've done the same thing. STICK UP FOR YOUR CADDY RORY!!!

WOW, Rory was pretty blunt....that "failed golfer" part had to hurt.

Perfect reason why I do not understand why high profile people keep a Twitter account.

The guy is needling Rory, baiting him with some insults, and Rory, as a young twenty-something will tend to do, took the bait and lashed out.

I am glad I am not a touring pro. If you lash out at someone off the cuff, you will get ripped apart, but that is also a part of being a big name touring pro. I think he needs to learn media management as well as course management.

I agree he needs a better way to deal with all this attention not turn to twitter in a rash decision. Glad he stood up for his caddy but the rest was unnecessary

haha I love it.. He should have never said it, but it's awesome.

lol i totally agree. i think it's awesome, but uncalled for.

I think social media avenues like Twitter can really help or hurt a celebrity (whether that be a movie star or athlete). I also think it must be a PR nightmare!

I'm kinda wondering why it's awesome to some people. I have to think if this was other golfers, maybe someone like Vijay Singh it would just be an example of them being an @ss.

Back