Rory considering skipping Olympics

mrmcgovs

Reaction score
Handicap
It's sad to see that any athlete could miss playing in the Olympics over something like this.

He might consider it, but I'd wager a pretty penny that he'll be there. It's much to big of a stage for him not to attend.

Actually sounds very smart to me. Very good scrutiny and thinking from the young man.

To me it is no different than who they represent at the presidents cup

He might consider it, but I'd wager a pretty penny that he'll be there. It's much to big of a stage for him not to attend.

And it is in three and a half years...

That would be sad if he didn't play.

You guys would never understand the predicament he is in -

If he plays for Ireland he rules out one of Clarke, McDowell or Harrington. All who are dear friends of his. Clarke most importantly as he has said it would be a dream come true to represent Ireland in the Olympics.

If he plays for GB. He may not actually make the team with the likes of Poults, Westwood, Donald and Rose. All who would have a stronger vote then Rory.

I think this would be a huge event for him to miss. Especially if he remains at the level he's playing at, you might have the #1 player in the world for the past 4 years skipping one of the biggest events in golf. I know I'll catch some flak for that last part of my statement, but really golf in the olympics has to be one of the biggest things in golf.

I would be very sad to think these political influences would keep him from playing.

To me it is no different than who they represent at the presidents cup

Are you for real. Men and women have been killed over religion in this country. Irish soccer players who have declared themselves for England have had death threats put in their kids school bags

If he plays for Ireland he rules out one of Clarke, McDowell or Harrington. All who are dear friends of his. Clarke most importantly as he has said it would be a dream come true to represent Ireland in the Olympics.

If he plays for GB. He may not actually make the team with the likes of Poults, Westwood, Donald and Rose. All who would have a stronger vote then Rory.

He is number 1 in the world... I would bet he would make either team.

That being said.. this is OVER 3 years away! Who knows hoe many of those guys will even be at the top of their game. Just think if the Olympics were 2 years ago and they had golf; how many would have guessed 3 years prior that Tiger wouldn't be playing for America?

He is number 1 in the world... I would bet he would make either team.

That being said.. this is OVER 3 years away! Who knows hoe many of those guys will even be at the top of their game. Just think if the Olympics were 2 years ago and they had golf; how many would have guessed 3 years prior that Tiger wouldn't be playing for America?

Players would also have to go through an Olympic panel and qualify, judges will always favor there ow . It's to much hassle for him and his family to go through with it

Ya i saw this too. We are a long way away from 2016, I'd be surprised if something doesn't change by the time the trials roll around.

Help me out here David. I'm sad I don't know this. Do Northern Irelanders have dual citizenship?

It would be a shame for him not to be there competing for his country. I hope that it gets worked out in the years to come.

Sent from my stock TF101

Help me out here David. I'm sad I don't know this. Do Northern Irelanders have dual citizenship?

Dual citizenship
Ireland does not require foreign citizenship to be dropped in order to get an Irish passport. In other words, Ireland allows you to be simultaneously a citizen of Ireland and of another country. This dual citizenenship has, of course, many advantages, in that you can readily enter and exit both nations.
However, as a word of warning, many non-Irish governments do not allow dual citizenship, so you might have to give up your native citizenship to become an Irish citizen. Check with your native country's foreign affairs department for the rules that apply to you. Most notably, you can be a dual citizen of the United States and Ireland.

If the Olympic games where in 2013, I think he'd skip. But 2016 is so far off that his answer has to be considered as an emotional choice based on today's climate.

It would be a shame for him not to be there competing for his country. I hope that it gets worked out in the years to come.

Sent from my stock TF101

But that's the thing. There isn't a "Northern Ireland" team at the Olympics.

Anyone willing to skip the title "Olympian" better have one awfully good reason.

I think death threats against your family because you picked the wrong island nation to represent, is a good one.

I think death threats against your family because you picked the wrong island nation to represent, is a good one.

I agree, but its sad that people take sports decisions too far.

Back