Riding or Walking Question

TheCrest4

#UrbanLumberJack
Reaction score
Handicap
After my last round I got to thinking about how I feel like I play better when I walk. I rode my last round and while the weather was less than ideal I played what I consider to be a really poor round, shot a 99. My previous round I walked 18 with a push cart and shot an 81. They were different courses but at the same location.

Any other THPers feel the same way? Or am I reading too much into this after a miserable round

After my last round I got to thinking about how I feel like I play better when I walk. I rode my last round and while the weather was less than ideal I played what I consider to be a really poor round, shot a 99. My previous round I walked 18 with a push cart and shot an 81. They were different courses but at the same location.

Any other THPers feel the same way? Or am I reading too much into this after a miserable round

Walking allows me to take my time and really think about my next shot while walking to my ball. When I'm riding, that "thinking" process is done a lot faster and at times does feel rushed.

I definitely play better when walking on average. When I play real well I don't think it matters but if it's just an average round, walking allows me to clear my head easier from bad shots and focus on what's in front of me.

I wish I could chalk up discrepancies to walking and riding. I just need to remember to forget the shot before I get to the ball and with a cart that becomes hard as you get there quick especially if playing solo

I think, on average, I do play better when I walk a round.

I prefer walking. Especially if I'm not rushing. Like most it allows me time to clear my head between shots and think about my next play, and why I tried that last boneheaded move that put me over there in the woods behind the tree, OF COURSE it's behind the tree..........

I wish I could chalk up discrepancies to walking and riding. I just need to remember to forget the shot before I get to the ball and with a cart that becomes hard as you get there quick especially if playing solo

This is what happens to me as well. I get a little quick in the cart and don't leave the last shot where it happened.

I really am not a fan of riding and avoid it whenever possible. Play better and enjoy the game more when walking.

Something I just thought of also, when I walk you walk on a mostly straight line to your ball. That gives me the visual and time to process the next shot. I can see what to avoid such as bunkers or any other trouble

I prefer walking and do seem to play better when I do although I'm not sure why.

I prefer to walk than ride but shot my PB score walking and riding so take that for what it's worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea because golf carts were invented for a reason

I feel I play better when I walk. Not as rushed, you have time to think of the next shot as you approach or forget a bad shot as you get to the ball.
I don't mind riding in a cart when it is really hot or I need to get thru a round quicker, but I will walk most times.

This is what happens to me as well. I get a little quick in the cart and don't leave the last shot where it happened.

It's hard to do sometimes so I try to think of something non golf related as soon as I put my club back in the bag

I believe I play better when walking, so of course this year I paid for membership that includes a cart LOL.

Really though. If I play anywhere other than my home course, I ride, mainly due to elevation changes and distance between holes. I think at those courses I probably play exactly the same as I would while walking, as my difficulties probably stem more from not knowing the course.

It will be an interesting experiment this year. I will be on a cart for the majority of my home course rounds (or hope to be). Actually hoping it helps lower scores by conserving energy over the course of the round.

I think I play better walking also. It lets me clear my head between shots but also gives me more time to think about my next shot as I walk up to the ball. I think it also helps keep my lower back loose throughout the round.

I feel the same. Play and feel better about playing when walking. I like not having to deal with another player while not playing so called "good cart golf". Imo too many riders do not know how to go about golf business in an efficient manor when both players are not playing well but perhaps a bit errant. I always feel more rushed vs when I walk and then I do not feel rushed. Plus it saves me money ($20 bucks) per round. I bring my umbrella for shade, my cart seat should I be waiting so I can sit, my little cooler bag, etc, etc.. Id rather walk. Its questionable on the hottest of days but still I do it.

I've had good rounds riding and good rounds walking, and vice versa. But I do think when I'm walking it gives me more time alone to ponder my upcoming shot. Also, I seem to pay more attention to the green when I'm waking up to it, looking at slope and thinking about my putting line.

I walk about 75% of the time, and I prefer it. It gives me time to think about the shot I want to take instead of rushing it. Plus, it's good exercise.

The problem most people have when they ride is that they don't know how to "forget" about the last bad shot. You jump in the cart, ride to the ball & hit it again. Doesn't give you time to relax & enjoy the round as much. When you walk, it gives you more time to "digest" what you did right or wrong, think about the next shot as your walking up to it, visualize the shot from afar in the fairway (or rough in your case! LOL) Nice to be young to be able to walk ... if I could, I would. But I enjoy the round much better when I know I can make it through without much pain. If I were to walk, I would be done by about hole 4. HA! Especially on these longer courses they are designing nowadays.

I like Playing with a push cart. I don't know if I play any better or worse but when the course is walkable it's nice to walk. When it is cart path only walking is preferred.

Once summer hits and the temps are high I usually take a cart.

I much prefer walking and thought I played better but looking at my scores there is no difference I can play good and bad doing both.

I much prefer to walk but not sure the scores are much different between walking or riding. I like the time to think about shots or clear the head if need be between shots.

I play better when I walk, but if I'm playing with someone else and riding can do alright then also. I'm able to clear my head either way and just focus on the next shot by the time I get to my ball. Riding solo can be tough, by the time I've processed my previous shot I'm at my ball ready to make the next shot.

I prefer walking. But thinking on the few times I rode I shot a pretty good score. I hardly take a cart unless it's included in the price

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Last edited:
Back