Return of the Mini Driver?

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
This one hit the USGA conforming list today:

TMOMD-1300-Wall-960x540.jpg

From golf.com:

Three years have elapsed since TaylorMade released the AeroBurner Mini Driver, a course-specific club designed for players that primarily hit 3-wood off the tee while seeking additional distance, workability and control.

The taller-faced club came in at 260cc — roughly 100cc larger than the standard SLDR 3-wood — and enjoyed a brief run on tour before it was eventually phased out of most bags.

With the spike in popularity of utility irons and strong-lofted fairway woods with larger profiles, there hasn’t been much of a need for the mini driver.

But with TaylorMade celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, the equipment manufacturer appears set to roll out an updated version of the club called the “Original One Mini Driver.” The club officially landed on the USGA’s conforming list on Monday.

According to a TaylorMade representative, “the club is a product to celebrate our 40th anniversary this year, more to follow.”

As someone that barely ever uses a fairway wood off of the deck, I'm interested.

Still have a Bertha Mini 1.5 and still game it sometimes. I have the 14° model since I am one to hit FWs off the deck a good bit.

What do they mean by original one? Is this a retro throwback club or something packed with modern tech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has my FULL interest and attention.

I will be interested

I was never a fan of the mini drivers personally.

I still play the SLDR Mini.. Have it in 16 degrees, and it gets a good deal of use off the tee. Made a complete equipment change, and the mini and my driver were the only ones to make the cut

So will I, as I still have your last one in my bag.

I could adjust my bag setup easily to all this. Go from heavenwood to 5 wood, ditch 3 wood, add mini driver.

I have both the SLDR and AeroBurner Mini Drivers in 14*, the latter of which just came out of the plastic last week. Despite just investing in the Exotics EXS full size driver, I would most definitely consider another TM Mini. I could do without the adjustability, however. Keeping it simple (and affordable) was part of the appeal.

I just don’t think i would personally use one, I use my 3W off the deck quite a bit and wouldn’t want to give up that versatility. It is a great option for a lot of people that don’t or might struggle with driver though.

I still don't fully understand these clubs, as they seem to be sort of the chipper of tee clubs.

it does look like it is potentially fun to try out at least.

Where I rarely hit 3 wood off the deck I would definitely consider something like this if it came in a higher loft.

They have my interest piqued.

I never had a mini driver, but always had a 3W as a secondary tee option. This year I’m putting a strong 3w (3+) in play hoping to eek out some extra yards off the tee when I use it.

Return of the Mini Driver?

Hmm, my initial thought was no but considering how little I use 3 wood off the deck it could be a good second tee option. I'm just not sure I give up much using a 3 wood off the tee vs. a mini driver though.

Thank GOD I haven’t purchased a driver yet, this one is now top of my list!!!!!!

for me and my needs, i can't imagine how this could work for me. i need help with launch and spin. i have always thought the mini driver isn't built for that.

Literally the only TM club that has my attention right now. I’m not saying that Taylormade makes bad clubs but I just haven’t been a fan of their design since the 2017 drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure we'll hear all about how the Mini is suddenly no longer obsolete

I want to hit one of these NOW! Can't wait to hear more about it and what shafts will be available.

as someone with an aeroburner mini and SLDR mini in my bag I definitely want this

mini driver so half the price of a regular driver right guys???????????????????????

Last edited:
I like the looks of that but my driver woes are subsiding at the moment... But I would love to try it out always a sucker for a mini driver still play a Cobra long tom 2 wood every once and while.

Back