Restrained swing?

ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
What Does ”restrained swing” mean?

in This context

Prichard said he was analyzing the swings of some of golf’s greatest ball-strikers for his book, “The Efficient Golfer,” when he noticed that Snead, Hogan and Trevino all restrained their driver swing in order to return the club at impact to its original position. A friend, Prichard said, pointed out that they had one other thing in common: the yips.

When we see golfers, over and over again, highly skilled golfers who restrain the driver and end up getting the yips, and we know what accounts for it, it makes a pretty good case for changing the way we do it,” he said.

Prichard, who does not play golf, argues that Woods has recently struggled with the yips in part because of his new driver swing.
“Tiger has gone to restraining his driver,” he said. “Back when he wasn’t doing this, he was winning majors by 12 strokes and putting out of this world. He is not doing that now, and I feel it’s a combination of his neck problems and his new driver swing.”

42 views and Not even a guess? ^^

I want to know as well. I have no idea what they are talking about or why it might lead to the yips.

All four gentleman mentioned swing/swung the club differently. Nothing restrained about their swings.

The yips wouldn’t be generated from what ever this person thinks is a ‘restrained’ swing.

All four gentleman mentioned swing/swung the club differently. Nothing restrained about their swings.

The yips wouldn’t be generated from what ever this person thinks is a ‘restrained’ swing.

What do u base This on?

What Does ”restrained swing” mean?

Not sure, but to me the term "restrained swing" could possibly refer to someone who holds back on his potential swing speed. In other words, a golfer might potentially have the ability to produce a 120 mph swing speed but prefers to utilize a 105 mph swing speed because he notices more favorable results. I know in my own personal game, I restrain my potential swing speed and slow it down because less things go wrong when I use only part of my potential swing speed. If I try to produce a 100 mph swing speed it's hard to tell where my ball will end up. But if I slow my swing speed down to 85 mph I get much better shots off and hit more FW's which in most cases make it possible to get better scores

So then why did you post?!

That he is wrong? Have u had yips? Ive had putting and chipping yips for a long time. This year even fullswing yips. Seems like alot of hardhitters develop when restraining. Im a 1.4 hcp and swing a driver 116. And What he explains is everything im doing. So looking for proof that hes wrong. Not just opinion.

That he is wrong? Have u had yips? Ive had putting and chipping yips for a long time. This year even fullswing yips. Seems like alot of hardhitters develop when restraining. Im a 1.4 hcp and swing a driver 116. And What he explains is everything im doing. So looking for proof that hes wrong. Not just opinion.

You posted a quote, what context is he speaking in? Is there an article?

Yips are a product of nerves. Full swing yips are a product of mental breakdown in the golf swing.

There are physical elements that could explain the yips, tremors, shakes and others. These are nerve related.

You posted a quote, what context is he speaking in? Is there an article?

Yips are a product of nerves. Full swing yips are a product of mental breakdown in the golf swing.

There are physical elements that could explain the yips, tremors, shakes and others. These are nerve related.

Yes its a article. No one knows for sure What develops yips. So u cant know ur right. Since i Have it his explanation seems correct to me.

article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/06/...bane-of-golfers-may-be-muscular.html?referer=

Yes its a article. No one knows for sure What develops yips. So u cant know ur right. Since i Have it his explanation seems correct to me.

article: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/06/...bane-of-golfers-may-be-muscular.html?referer=

Ok there are two studies confirming what I said and a hypothesis aka educated guess for what you’re saying. Believe what you want and I’ll continue to teach what I know and have for 20 plus years.

Oh and my father has the yips due to uncontrollable shakes and tremors. Brought on by nerves and age. Els had the yips due to
Psychological issues. Tiger didn’t have the yips but poor mechanics.

Ok there are two studies confirming what I said and a hypothesis aka educated guess for what you’re saying. Believe what you want and I’ll continue to teach what I know and have for 20 plus years.

Oh and my father has the yips due to uncontrollable shakes and tremors. Brought on by nerves and age. Els had the yips due to
Psychological issues. Tiger didn’t have the yips but poor mechanics.

okay, so you ofcourse knows more then "Robert Anthony Prichard, a San Francisco sports biomechanics expert" cause you have teached golf for 20 years

okay, so you ofcourse knows more then "Robert Anthony Prichard, a San Francisco sports biomechanics expert" cause you have teached golf for 20 years

Never made that claim.

Why post an article asking for the communities opinions on something, then dismiss those opinions because they do not match your own? I've never quite grasped that idea...

Why post an article asking for the communities opinions on something, then dismiss those opinions because they so not match your own? I've never quite grasped that idea...

Not only that, but to say this forum wouldn't give him a good answer.

There are LOTS and LOTS of "experts" who couldn't teach, diagnose, or correct a golf swing if their life depended on it. Don't bow down to a title. Tadashi can - period, end of story.

The golf swing is a natural motion, not a science equation. Some people have physical reasons for the yips. Some people have introduced a flaw into their swing and the yips have become mental. A LOT of people yip because they're trying too hard to control the club.

But I'm sure you knew all that...

Why post an article asking for the communities opinions on something, then dismiss those opinions because they do not match your own? I've never quite grasped that idea...

exactly, asking for an opinion, he stated that its flat out wrong, and tadashi is right. Since a golfpro is not an expert on biomechanics nor mental, i would for sure think that this Prichard is right more often then tadashi.

Not only that, but to say this forum wouldn't give him a good answer.

i didnt get an answer before i wrote just that, on wrx i got 10 answers right away. Have been like that alot of times before.

i didnt get an answer before i wrote just that, on wrx i got 10 answers right away. Have been like that alot of times before.

I’m just glad you found what you were looking for. All the best to you.

Well aren't you precious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So someone who teaches golf doesn't know what causes the yips, but a biomechanics expert (who doesn't play golf) does?

I may be wrong, but the way I understood the yips is that it has always been a mental issue - if it was a physical issue then why did the top players who suffered from them have no issues hitting a putt from 30ft but couldn't then sink a 2ft putt because of the yips?

To a degree, I also attribute the downward spiral of hitting shank after shank as a mental issue - you hit one, then because it is in your mind you start making conscious efforts to ensure you don't hit another one but still manage to do it

So someone who teaches golf doesn't know what causes the yips, but a biomechanics expert (who doesn't play golf) does?

I may be wrong, but the way I understood the yips is that it has always been a mental issue - if it was a physical issue then why did the top players who suffered from them have no issues hitting a putt from 30ft but couldn't then sink a 2ft putt because of the yips?

To a degree, I also attribute the downward spiral of hitting shank after shank as a mental issue - you hit one, then because it is in your mind you start making conscious efforts to ensure you don't hit another one but still manage to do it

There is research to suggest that "the yips" may not always be just mental, and there is physical degradation involved

Back