Regular Grip On Putter

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever experimented with a regular iron or driver grip on a putter? Have you ever even thought about it? I put a regular grip on a putter today and kind of liked the way it felt in making sure my hands stayed still.

I used an old Odyssey zing shape with a standard round cord grip. I hardly noticed the shape until thought about it. I like the putter grip for keeping the back of my left hand down the target line.

I have never tried it, but it's an interesting concept. I personally like flat front paddle style putter grips though...I think the flat front really helps in squarely aligning the putter.

Also, :seemore: doesn't have a round grip.

That's weird. I'd have to give it a few test putts to see but it seems rather weird to me.

I need that flat top. Where would I put my thumbs?
I do have this putter I found for $1.99 which I mess around the practice greens sometimes with my friends. Its an old blade putter with a very small round grip. And frankly I enjoy beating my friends at putting games with something with "princess" stamped on it. The funny thing is I do notice how well the putter swings in my hands with it's round grip.I putt with an arc stroke instead of the straigh back straight through and the round grip helps. I tended to get too wristy with it however. I think that's more to do with the lack of a pistol grip bottom rather than the flat top missing.
IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

I've not tried a regular grip, but then I utilize my thumbs to control the paddle feel. Guess I need to try this.

The only time I use a round grip on a putter is during miniature-golf with the kids. Even then when it's just for fun, I notice that I'm not too comfortable with the grip's shape. Pistol-grip with the flat front is probably the only way for me. I'd worry that without the grip's flat indicator, I may manipulate the hands too much.

But... as you said, about keeping the hands quiet, I like the thought of it as a training aid.

I putted most of last year with a regular round grip on my putter but switched back to a regular putter grip late in the season. I liked it at first but can't say it made me putt better or worse for that matter. I like the idea of experimenting a little.

I tried a putter at dicks yesterday that had an oversize round grip. I liked the grip but thought it should be a bit smaller. I might try this with three layers of tape underneath. Cool idea JB

Have you ever experimented with a regular iron or driver grip on a putter? Have you ever even thought about it? I put a regular grip on a putter today and kind of liked the way it felt in making sure my hands stayed still.

What do you mean by this? Just a little confused. Your hands stay in place better or it keeps your wrists from breaking during the stroke?

Prefer the flat sided grip on my Odyssey. I've tried oversize putter grips like the shark, but never a true round grip. Did you attempt to even out the taper towards the end of the grip?

What do you mean by this? Just a little confused. Your hands stay in place better or it keeps your wrists from breaking during the stroke?

Just a term to say that I am all arms with it rather than hands and wrists moving.

Never really thought about this before but I'd definitely try it

Curious to know what brand of grip you used?

Curious to know what brand of grip you used?

I have a few putters (slightly), so I use a lot of different grips. My favorite is usually a Winn, because I like it soft.

This sounds interesting. Just looking at the UST grips thread and thinking about regripping my putter. Might as well try it right? Not sure if I'd do standard or get a midsize or larger on it.

I have done this and have liked it in the past. I havent gripped my newest putter and just have some oldschool wraps on it. Some of my older putters have round cord grips too.

JB, if you get a chance, have you ever tried to put the grip on so the paddle is in your fingers, not your thumbs? I have heard great things and would try it myself, but I dont have an airgun and dont feel like cutting grips for a possible experiment.

I have done this and have liked it in the past. I havent gripped my newest putter and just have some oldschool wraps on it. Some of my older putters have round cord grips too.

JB, if you get a chance, have you ever tried to put the grip on so the paddle is in your fingers, not your thumbs? I have heard great things and would try it myself, but I dont have an airgun and dont feel like cutting grips for a possible experiment.

I have not. I might try that though.

I have an old ping putter sitting in the garage. I might have to play around with it and throw a regular grip on it. Its seems very interesing to try out

Just a term to say that I am all arms with it rather than hands and wrists moving.

Ok. Do you know why this is? Just a mental thing? One would think that is wouldn't really be an issue. Your hands are still on the grip no matter what the grip is.

I have heard good things. I would think it allows the fingers to be anchored while having the control of your thumbs for pressure and optimum stroke stabilty.
I have not. I might try that though.

Ok. Do you know why this is? Just a mental thing? One would think that is wouldn't really be an issue. Your hands are still on the grip no matter what the grip is.

Of course they are. But in reality why do we all choose different grips? Because they feel different and react different for every golfer. This is no difference for me.

Of course they are. But in reality why do we all choose different grips? Because they feel different and react different for every golfer. This is no difference for me.

Very true, didn't think of that. The majority of putter grips out there all follow the same sort of design more or less. There must be a reason for that, but like you say, every golfer is different and has difference preferences. As I'm relatively new to the game still, my putters have always just had the standard type grip. Just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Sorry, lack of experience shining through once more.

I think some of the success that people, myself included see from a regular grip is that it isnt possible to misalign the grip when putting it on. Since they are round you can put it on however you want and dont have to worry about the grip being out of line. Also you do not have to manipulate your grip, more natural to use the grip that you do on the rest of your clubs.

Back