Regarding Spikes on Shoes

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
When is it time to change out the spikes on the bottoms of your golf shoes? Is it just easier to buy a new pair of golf shoes? :confused2:

When is it time to change out the spikes on the bottoms of your golf shoes? Is it just easier to buy a new pair of golf shoes? :confused2:

New spikes are rather cheap and the golf shop can replace as needed. If missing or any that are getting a bit flat, change out at most shops for a couple bucks. (each)

It really depends on how often you play. I change out every pair I have once per year. But I do rotate my shoes out quite often.

New spikes are rather cheap and the golf shop can replace as needed. If missing or any that are getting a bit flat, change out at most shops for a couple bucks. (each)

wow you actually have to pay someone to change out the spikes? Not being a smart A$$ because I don't have golf shoes (yet) but i didn't know you couldn't change them out by yourself.

Can you even find golf shoes with metal spikes? A lot of the courses around here are soft spikes only and I was just wondering because when we went to the Chevron World Challenge, the players had metal spikes because you can hear them clanging against the cement. Is there any benefit to having one over the other? Does having metal spikes ruin the courses?

wow you actually have to pay someone to change out the spikes? Not being a smart A$$ because I don't have golf shoes (yet) but i didn't know you couldn't change them out by yourself.

I could, but no more than it costs to do it's like why? I end up doing it myself at their shop and still pay them. No biggie

I kind of miss the sound of spikes, but these really do well. I don't know of anywhere that allows steel on their greens.

You can change them yourself no problem.

I could, but no more than it costs to do it's like why? I end up doing it myself at their shop and still pay them. No biggie

Our shop is the same way. The proshop changes them for you if you buy the spikes there.

You can change them yourself no problem.

Our shop is the same way. The proshop changes them for you if you buy the spikes there.

Do they sell a special tool even for the plastic ones?

Golf Chick I don't know that you can find shoes with metal spikes in golf stores anymore. Most courses no longer allow metal spikes. It is not that they "damage" the course...due to heavy foot traffic on the greens as the day goes on the greens get spike marks and difficult to putt. It can be a bit of a maintenance issue. The down side to the old metal spikes...if you had spike marks you had to putt through you couldn't fix them so it was a bit unfair.

Good question. I'm sure you can, I just chose to do it at the shop because it's cheap.

There is a tool to do it yourself, a couple bucks. Otherwise almost every pro shop will change them out for about $10 and that includes the spikes.

I can't remember now if the tool is a separate purchase or not, but it's not expensive if it is. They key is that there are different types of spikes and you have to buy the kind that matches your shoe. But overall, it's easy to do yourself.

You sure about that Claire? No boo boos involved?

Well, if you change your spikes regularly, you probably don't have to pry them off with an awl. And stab yourself in the process. I'll be changing mine yearly from now on.

I forgot about that Claire! And Diane, she did say "overall"! :D

Diane wasn't even here when I did that--she's good!

You're a legend on golf forums far and wide. Everyone talks about you and your adventures in golf.

You're a legend on golf forums far and wide. Everyone talks about you and your adventures in golf.

I'm a legend in my own mind. Yours too, apparently.

I'm a legend in my own mind. Yours too, apparently.

Nah - I'm just trying to get a grammar badge and I know I won't get it based on my grammatical skills so I thought sucking up might work.

Nah - I'm just trying to get a grammar badge and I know I won't get it based on my grammatical skills so I thought sucking up might work.

There's one in my profile. Cut & paste.

Well I wanted to be deputized with a ceremony. I bet you did that for Smallie.

Nah, I just poked him with the awl (note how I'm sort of getting this back on track).

Yes they do. A decent one, like the one shown, costs less than $10.- and makes the job a whole lot easier. It will change all types of soft spikes (that I have come across).

51nTWwllFhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I change them myself. On my Nike pair I lose a spike once and a while. On my Footjoys I break some spikes prematurely quite often. I can't go to the pro-shop or store every time that happens!

Back