Rebuilding my swing using Ben Hogan's 5 Lessons

I’m looking at taking lessons at Loggerhead Golf. They just installed new teaching bays with the Swing Catalyst system. What level would you try? The $200 and $350 packages, they will create a dvd or thumb dive of your lesson and then add commentary on it and drills for you to practice.
ED1AF1DD-3142-4A70-910A-5121FE416F4F.jpeg

Five Lessons should have the subtitle of: How Not to Hook the Ball. If you are a left to right player, this book could make things worse.

Five Lessons should have the subtitle of: How Not to Hook the Ball. If you are a left to right player, this book could make things worse.
How? I hope you're not referring to his "weak grip". He clearly stated it was HIS PERSONAL ADJUSTMENT and not meant for everyone.

I’m looking at taking lessons at Loggerhead Golf. They just installed new teaching bays with the Swing Catalyst system. What level would you try? The $200 and $350 packages, they will create a dvd or thumb dive of your lesson and then add commentary on it and drills for you to practice.
View attachment 9151782
The $200 lesson is a lot of money for just focusing on one of the swing groups, and only 45 mins too.

The full $350 lesson looking at all of them and it being two hours seems to represent the best value to my eyes.

How? I hope you're not referring to his "weak grip". He clearly stated it was HIS PERSONAL ADJUSTMENT and not meant for everyone.
Good, as long as you read carefully and notice that admonition. But there are other things, because this book is, essentially, how not to hit a hook. See this article in GolfWRX for more.

Good, as long as you read carefully and notice that admonition. But there are other things, because this book is, essentially, how not to hit a hook. See this article in GolfWRX for more.
Can't understand why someone would by a book and NOT READ IT CAREFULLY.
It's like I always hear, " the hands do nothing" says Hogan. But read a bit further and it says "until belt high"..
Like say the brakes on my car don't work.....until I step on that pedal next to the accelerator.
And the book was about fundamentals....intended for everyone, not just people that didn't want to hit hooks.
No where in the book did I read "passive hands" as that writer stated. In fact, Hogan said he wished he had two right hands to add power with. That in and of itself, tells me HE didn't read the book too well.
Then he says that downswing starting with hips can lead to over the top. If he read carefully, he'd understand Hogan wanted the turn of the hips to create a tilt in the swing plane that would automatically drop the club into the swing plane, further illustrating his lack of reading comprehension of Hogan.

Last edited:
View attachment 9151782

I’d do the full meal deal. Looks to be a lot more comprehensive. Why not?

I read 5 lessons 40 years ago when I started playing. Loved it, but never really thought about it much after that. Then I reread it last year, and I was amazed that I clearly still base most of what I do in my swing on that book. My swing is, in essence, a product of Hogan's five lessons. I've read other books and used other instruction over the years, but clearly none have had anywhere near as big an impact. I'd say you could do way worse than building or rebuilding a swing using this all time classic book.

5 Lessons...... Was first published in 1957. In 1985 Golf Digest added it to their "Classics Book" publications.
The Golf Digest publication includes a Forward by Nick Seitz, Editorial Director of Golf Digest which includes his interview with Hogan (then in his 70s) which gives insight into Hogan's swing.
It gave me a whole different view about what Hogan actually did.

It doesn't work without the white linen flat cap.

I read 5 lessons 40 years ago when I started playing. Loved it, but never really thought about it much after that. Then I reread it last year, and I was amazed that I clearly still base most of what I do in my swing on that book. My swing is, in essence, a product of Hogan's five lessons. I've read other books and used other instruction over the years, but clearly none have had anywhere near as big an impact. I'd say you could do way worse than building or rebuilding a swing using this all time classic book.

Back when I started, late 60's it was THE BIBLE for the golf swing. I heard many times that EVERY pro had a copy and kept it close well into the 90's.
I would venture a guess that it might be consider essential reading by young golfers of today. Of course, with the newer technology such as the swing monitors and, radar, and bio kinetics and the knowledge that all of that brings, the book is probably just a stepping stone today...if that. People if they do read it, just skim over it and misinterpret most of it for lack of careful reading.

I learned via the Hogan method in the 70's. Still developed a nasty hook as I got better, then I learned the fade ala Jack and watching Trevino closely, and my golf got much, much better. My swing is still a ground up actionas taught by Hogan, albeit an ugly, choppy thing born of arthritis and injury these days.
People tend to not grip properly, the worn out pads on all those gloves in the trash prove it. The last three fingers of the top hand need to be closed pretty darn firmly to maintain control of the clubhead at the top. The grip moving around in your hand at the transition from back swing to down swing is never good.

Had my first lesson of 2023. It went well. Instructor was really pleased by how I was hitting the ball. Worked on dialing in the driver. Had a very consistent session. He asked me to weaken my grip slightly. So, was hitting a very small fade. He said take it to the course. Drove the ball well. Kind of ran out of steam on the back. Highlight was sticking a 6 iron to 5 feet from 192. Made the birdie.

Had my first lesson of 2023. It went well. Instructor was really pleased by how I was hitting the ball. Worked on dialing in the driver. Had a very consistent session. He asked me to weaken my grip slightly. So, was hitting a very small fade. He said take it to the course. Drove the ball well. Kind of ran out of steam on the back. Highlight was sticking a 6 iron to 5 feet from 192. Made the birdie.
192 yd 6I........... Never even at my peak. 6I carries 174 for me. 2 yards longer than it did 30 years ago when a 6I was todays 7I. LOL

I absolutely love this book, it proved invaluable when I got back into the game last year! I can’t say enough goods things about it, I bought a copy for my son after reading it! 👍

I feel like I’m at a crossroads. I just can’t put together a consistent round. I’m not sure how to remedy this besides playing more.

Yes, it may have had a bit of impact on me 30 or so years ago...
4bb2916637e7f1cd5c35cfc14d53bec7.jpg
5ff77d1006a9e58c8b8cc28eacafe169.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Since getting back into golf, my swing is awful. It ranges between a dumpster fire and unfolded lawn chair. After talking to the guys from the Ben Hogan Experience, I am starting again at square one and trying to implement the lessons from Mr. Hogan.
Chapter 1 focuses just on the grip. The grip is typically just a given...how much do you think about it? Do you even practice/work on your grip? Like Roy McAvoy says in Tin Cup, "I like to think of the grip like the opening of a poem.." After playing last week, I found my left hand all blistered up. I was holding the club handle too much in my palm and squeezing too hard! I am working on getting it up into my fingers (stop laughing) and maintaining a light grip pressure. One thing Ben Hogan mentions in the book is when a person grips the club tightly, this keeps the wrists from working. I have noticed that a lot lately.
I have attached some pictures from the book. Are you currently doing this? What does your grip look like? Would you like to change it? Have you read this book? As I go through the book, I will add more posts and ask more questions to further the discussion.

View attachment 8679937View attachment 8679938View attachment 8679939View attachment 8679940View attachment 8679941
I sort of do this with my grip. Both my "Vs" point directly at my sternum. Hogan's is pointed more towards his right shoulder iirc. .

I made this grip adjustment (per my instructor) in relation to my club face behind the ball. This allows my swing to return the club face back to the ball just like it was at my address position. Square to my aim line.

I don't carry my driver 192, lol.

I need to start practicing more and get back with my coach. Swing is out of sync. Short game is good, but I’ve been playing the Par 3 a lot lately. I thought I was changing my golf goal to having more fun, but playing bad is no fun.

Back