R11 vs R9 Supertri: performance?

I have a ST and a regular R9 head. I didn't think it would be so apparent, but 16 extra grams is hefty!

I have a ST and a regular R9 head. I didn't think it would be so apparent, but 16 extra grams is hefty!

I still want to try hitting the club w/o any weights...or just like a 1g in the middle. Have you tried that?

I was actually going to do that, but after the 32 gram fiasco I gave up.

I was actually going to do that, but after the 32 gram fiasco I gave up.

Haha well when I get my shaft tomorrow or if I go to the range tonight I will try it.

Hope the shaft change works out for you. I'll be interested to hear what happens with the weights.

Hope the shaft change works out for you. I'll be interested to hear what happens with the weights.

My drives were going 220 today because of the backspin :/ I ended up pulling my 3w out and was teeing off with that which put me 30 yards farther lol

Ill PM you as soon as I get a chance to test things.

Wait, Im confused. Obviously not the right thread, but I thought your arm was in a sling and you could not golf.
DIdnt you just tell us that in the testing thread yesterday?

Wait, Im confused. Obviously not the right thread, but I thought your arm was in a sling and you could not golf.
DIdnt you just tell us that in the testing thread yesterday?

My mom is in town so I am playing with her this weekend. My last round is tomorrow but I have been wearing it while I played.

My #1 gamer had been the 8.5 supertri with a Miyazaki C KUA. It has a nice somewhat muted sound, very forgiving, and the 8.5 head for me negates the high spin design with nice high trajectory, very good carry, and adequate roll out. Virtually all who hit it find it a very strong performer, some even wanted to buy it, jokingly I would tell them it is a million dollar driver. Since that was a no go I made 2 of those guys the exact same setup, they are very happy with their Supertri.
Some months ago since I always liked the performance OF THE TM R11 I got A 9.0 on ebay, experimented with it and was impressed with the performance. Then I swapped THE C KUA shaft from the supertri and tested it in the TM 9.0 R11. I have read some negative views on the R11 ranging from hate the sound, not forgiving etc and that is fine, everyone is different. After numerous range sessions with the R11 C KUA set up I was very surprised to find that it was even better than the Supertri. Not a stronger performer by a huge amount but clearly a little better in every category. Sound is not important to me, the R11 IS A LITTLE LOUDER than the SUPERTRI but nothing like some of the Nike or Cobra Speed drivers from years ago. The impact feels so solid the sound just has a way of confirming that, love that sound. The carry and roll are each a little farther in the R11, the trajectory is plenty high with no ballooning, the accuracy is amazing and like the Supertri there are no issues whatsoever with forgiveness. In my case it is rare that any given driver does not seem forgiving to me (as long as the shaft specs are in my preferred zone) contact is normally on or at least very close to the sweet spot.
The Supertri is also a very strong performer, nothing negative about it, but in my experience the TM 9.0 R11 was the better of 2 very good drivers. The R11 proved to me that "never say never " since it is in the bag with the trusty supertri in backup status.
I am pretty patient when I find clubs that perform very well for me, not easily tempted to gravitate to the new stuff. Have hit the R1, X HOT, Extreme, Ping and Clevelands , none of them performed as well as my R11 or my trusty Supertri backup. Since I did not find any of those to be bad clubs (maybe the R1 raised some red flags) perhaps it may be possible that if I put a C kua in any of those they would meet the performance of my R11 OR MY Supertri but at my age no need to try and fix something that performs great and is not broke.

Last edited:
They are very different drivers. People look at the R11 as an upgrade to the SuperTri but in reality that is not the case. The R11 is an upgrade over the R9.

The R9 SuperTri is a high spin 460cc driver that is great for many players
The R11 is a low spin smaller head driver that is great for many players

Not to bring this back from the dead, but wouldn't the shaft have a lot more to do with the spin on a ball than the clubhead? Soft-high torque = high/spinny, and vice-versa.

I still want to try hitting the club w/o any weights...or just like a 1g in the middle. Have you tried that?

I've tried that, and though it's "illegal" to do, you can swing the club lightning-fast. It almost feels like there is no club head attached.

I'm in the market for a new driver and I love TM. I currently play a Tour Burner 9.5, but want to upgrade to either the Supertri or r11. Which is the overall favorite in performance?

I much preferred the performance, feel, and look of the R11. The SuperTri ballooned on me a bit too much even with multiple shaft adjustments and head adjustments. I recently switched over to the R11S and am glad I did. It is the best driver I have ever played.

Back