Question about toe down chipping

Hearing from 2 old tour players doesn't get much better, secrets from inside the ropes. Of course, some will say tour players don't necessarily make the best resource for information or instruction. Balderdash!

Yeah, toe down is great for Bermuda.
Hit several of these at the range today during lunch. I'm a fan of this chipping method

I just keep my weight on my lead foot, and use very little face manipulation, just a tad of cut or run. But I do have 5 wedges to choose from for the perfect loft, but will chip all the way down to the 7I if I have very little rough to fly and lots of green to roll out on. With a 64* in the bag there is not much softer I can hit something and still accelerate through it.

Don’t know if i would try this with a lob wedge but I’ve used it a fair amount with a hybrid or utility iron, 7-iron, and PW.

Don’t know if i would try this with a lob wedge but I’ve used it a fair amount with a hybrid or utility iron, 7-iron, and PW.
It works with an LW too, especially short sided.

I have started using this method as well in the past 6 to 9 months, and it is definitely my preferred chipping method now for anything inside about 20 yards, and can even go out to 30 or so if you have room to run it. Pretty much ensures good contact. The biggest variable is if you're changing from a more traditional chipping method, the ball will tend to come out softer since the shaft is vertical with no lean so there's more loft at impact. Once I got used to that, it's been much more consistent than other methods for me.

I change the club depending on how much release I want - I'll go all the way down to a high lofted wedge if I'm short sided or need to carry something, or up to a mid iron if I need something to roll out a good bit.

The toe down vertical i use with a bit of shaft lean and more of a putting stroke rather than mini swing. I find it great for Greenside 5- 20 foot when pin it cut really close to the edge of the green and I can’t putt like( the Mickelson example is great) I do that or belly wedge.
The toe cut I use more often and can swing the toe with make contact with the ground. Using the toe bounce I can get more height and land soft. This is more for over 10 paces the 30 foot range or longer chip. With higher trajectory and soft landing
Very different techniques even though both utilize the toe. And either handle forward or shaft lean

Been favoriting 6 iron for most short uncomplicated chips around the green
The wedger toe down vertical shaft has been very good later in the season when there is heavy grass around the green and ball get in there and I can get the toe with it easier to chip with
Also downhill short chips it more gentler to use the wedge than 6 iron
Both are essential putting motion
Never player bermuda. Did practice once in Florida and remember the grass was very coarse so likely gives same resistance as long not mowed bentgrass around green later in the season

Last edited:
If you think about the club face and the ball, hooding the face and lowering the toe makes the face area that can contact the ball bigger. Opposite is true for a flop shot. The face available for the ball gets smaller and smaller so much more difficult .

Back