ProV1 & ProV1x launch data versus other balls

Frank Bullitt

Reaction score
Handicap
After reading the indepth review of the 2013 ProV1 models on this site I noticed that the new ProV1x has a little more side spin versus the new ProV1. So I did some poking around on the web and found this amazing review, complete with lots of launch data:

http://www.golfballtest.org/?cat=18

The review concluded that the ProV1 "appears to be better for the low ball speed player". In the launch data they compare the ProV1 and ProV1x to a few other balls, specifically the RXS 300, which is a ball for slow swingers. Without giving my opinion yet, I love feedback from experts here on this comparison.

FB

Lol @ A.I.M. Like it's something special or revolutionary.

I know from what I have seen with the 2013 Pro-v balls is poor durability, too much trade off between balls, and very little benefit over balls that cost >$15 less. But that is just me I guess.

I know from what I have seen with the 2013 Pro-v balls is poor durability, too much trade off between balls, and very little benefit over balls that cost >$15 less. But that is just me I guess.

Exactly. I played ProV1's for years but I can't get more than a couple full wedge shots off of the 2013 versions without major shredding of the cover. Many other better options out there.

What ball are you playing now?

What ball are you playing now?

The e5. Lots of green side spin. High flight. Big core so it's long. And the Bridgestone cover is super durable.

I will also add, the other ball I play with is a Nike RZN One X. And that ball has been better than the pro-vs for me.

The e5. Lots of green side spin. High flight. Big core so it's long. And the Bridgestone cover is super durable.

I will also add, the other ball I play with is a Nike RZN One X. And that ball has been better than the pro-vs for me.

You didn't find the RZN to be inconsistent?

Well this is certainly one source to use to benchmark performance. Not sure how useful it actually is, however. I have the same feelings about the 2013 Titleist ProV durability. It's better than past years, however, still poor compared to competitors. For the price of the ball, which is hardly ever on sale, you can find comparable performing golfballs.

I find it difficult to judge launch/spin on balls outside of wedges so I usually select balls on greenside characteristics. So one thing I do agree with the results is the spin on the Hex Black. You can include the Hex Chrome+ as well. I don't see the same spin as I would using the RXS, Prov, Z-Star, and it's other counterparts. Probably one of the lower/lowest spinning urethane balls I've gamed around the green.

I realize that durability is different for everybody, but from my experience the new Pro V1's have been one of the most durable balls for me this year.

I realize that durability is different for everybody, but from my experience the new Pro V1's have been one of the most durable balls for me this year.

They shred so much off my wedges that I need about 3 per round. The Maxfli U4x gives me equal performance but lasts about 36 holes. As a bonus the Maxfli's are about $24 per vs. $47 for ProV1's. If the U4x's were $47, I would be happy to pay that for their performance & durability.

The ProV durability has certainly improved from the past 2 or 3 cycles. Although if I'm not chewing the ball I'm stripping the paint off the cover. It's one or the other and it just leads to one ugly ball after a couple holes.

No I don't. But I do find the One RZN to be very clicky, not very durable, and expensive compared to other balls. But it is one of the best performing balls I've played this year.

I think I would find this more interesting if they used numbers rather than arrows, dot's and circles. This doesn't do anything for me.

No I don't. But I do find the One RZN to be very clicky, not very durable, and expensive compared to other balls. But it is one of the best performing balls I've played this year.

So it's not durable and expensive like the prov1

So it's not durable and expensive like the prov1

It's less expensive than the prov1. The One RZN is ~$30. But it's longer than the Prov1 and it spins better than the v1x for me at least.

Last edited:
I've really enjoyed the Pro V1x from the last couple years. Terrific off the tee, and I certainly don't have the fabled durability issues that many seem to have.

Ive heard some nightmare distance variances depending on conditions with that RZN core.

It's less expensive than the prov1. The One RZN is ~$30. But it's longer than the Prov1 and it spins better than the v1x for me at least.

So $30 is expensive? What do you consider affordable?

I love the 2013 ProV1x but I'm just not paying $55 for 12 golf balls. Durability isn't a huge factor for me because I usually lose 1 ball/round anyways and I have no problem playing a ball with some wedge slices in it.

2012 Z-Star XV for $25/doz is huge bang for the buck and all the golf ball I need.

So $30 is expensive? What do you consider affordable?

For a non urethane covered ball, yeah it's expensive to me. The E5 is very affordable for a 2-piece urethane, $30 seems to be a good start.

For a non urethane covered ball, yeah it's expensive to me. The E5 is very affordable for a 3-piece urethane, $30 seems to be a good start.

Check those tech specs again on e5.

They shred so much off my wedges that I need about 3 per round. The Maxfli U4x gives me equal performance but lasts about 36 holes. As a bonus the Maxfli's are about $24 per vs. $47 for ProV1's. If the U4x's were $47, I would be happy to pay that for their performance & durability.

I hear ya, as I mentioned it's different for everyone. The newer Pro V1's, B-330, and the new Srixon XV perform the best for me as far as durability this year. They honestly all play so similar for me that it doesn't really matter what ball I play.

Price wise this year, the Chrome+ has been the best bang for the buck, but that ball shreds a lot worse than the before mentioned balls.

I don't understand the test results. In the comparisons, there are different values for the competitor balls with the same test criteria...?

Driver launch angle for different speeds are all med for the b330rxs in the V1 comparison but low, med, med in the V1x.
Inconsistencies like that render the comparisons moot imho (unless I'm missing something)

I never did like any of the ProV1's, they tore up very easy usually only two or three holes and I was grabbing a new one. I got hooked on the Penta's and never looked back. I do like the e6's thought I wont have to purchase another ball for a long time after visting LGB and buying 4 of their buckets for cheap.

It is amazing the differences people are reporting on durability...

I am not a low spin player, and see lots of check up and spin back on wedges, generally I am stopping the ball one hops on all my irons without exception.... At least with the 2013 Prov1...having a bunch of pro shop credits, a few weeks ago i decided to burn the credits and try the new Prov1's and grabbed 4 boxes of them...I have played TaylorMade Pentas (Penta TP, TP5, and Lethal) for the last few years...Have generally liked them...

I find the new Prov1's to be as if not more durable than the Taylormades, and have really liked the greenside control even more than the Taylormades...

I have played 20+ holes with one of my Prov1's, however, have found that cart paths are just as desctructive as with all balls :)

For me and my game, they are doing very well, and I have had no issues with durability...

Back