Pros/Cons Golftec

GolferDad66

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys - Seriously considering buying a package of these for the holiday season for me and one of my sons. let me hear your guys experiences with Golftec- recognizing it may be instructor specific sometimes.

I found a teacher that was a local course and move to Golftec - Did the evaluation and bought a 10 lesson package.
Had one lesson so far but I like tec and I like that I can see all of my lessons on the app.
Plus I can schedule lessons on the app.

My guy has upload some GolfTec Videos in IG -
rati_golf

@Iceman! - how did you find the swing evaluation with all the tech?

@Iceman! - how did you find the swing evaluation with all the tech?
I had a terrible golf year and I knew my setup and swing was off.
The Tech confirmed what exactly was wrong, the numbers showed it.
My Guy used Zach Johnson as an example, which I was ok with.
I'd tell you not to let all the numbers freak you out.
You do somethings better than you think, others maybe not so well, however that's why you are there.
Question is, can you connect with the guy that is doing the evaluation.

Even my guy tried to sell me a years worth of packages costing over $3,200 in the beginning.
I told him, "In April, I'm out of here and on the course whether we get this straightened out or not. If we can't get it better in 10 lessons, then the chemistry wasn't right"

The season before Covid hit I purchased a package from Golftec.

I really like their technology and all the computer systems to break down your swing, however, the problem I had was the instructor wanted to completely reconstruct my swing to be more like a picture of a pga professional. While I would love to have my swing look professional, I don't think changing one person's swing to match a pga player is the best way to go. This is where the instructor really comes into play. My instructor followed Golftec system like it was a book written by someone else. I mean I could have done the exact same thing if I spent a couple of hours learning the Golftec system. I didn't care for the instructor, but I felt he was the expert and I should follow his advice.

Over the course of the year, I had some of my worst rounds and some of my best. It was really a hit or miss as I tried to copy what I was being taught. After the 10 sessions were complete, I would not recommend Golftec unless you get a better instructor. The areas of concern that I kept speaking on to him were just never attempted to be fixed. My biggest issue is consistent contact with my irons and my release is way too early. We never got to that point and also never got to have a short game section. Each lesson was getting strapped into the belt and swinging my 7 or 6 iron. We never did the driver, wedges, or anything else in all 10 lessons.

I think Golftech has some advantages and with the right instructor could really help a person swing better, but my instructor just wasn't that person.

Mixed bag with Golftec. I had one instructor I really liked, as I went to them as I was starting to pick up the game. He knew it would be as much unlearning what my hack swing was as learning. We just clicked style wise. He left the Golftec and moved to another city and the other guy that came in - we didn't click at all.

In terms of instruction, I'll echo the comments about trying to become a pga tour professional swing. It wasn't really for me but certainly something they emphasized. The other thing I didn't like is it felt like the sessions were 10 mins of warmup, 5-10 mins of instruction based on a swing, then 30 mins of practice with minimal feedback then a video comparing my first cold swing of the session in the warmup with the last swing at the end. It just didn't feel like I was getting my full time worth of instruction.

I did like the data and the gear they used to measure things, I think that helps show you what you are doing and something I miss.

I basically agree with the other comments. I like the data and gear. I all depends on getting a decent instructor. One other thing - and this goes for all golf lessons, not just Golf Tec - you have to practice what is being taught. You can't take one lesson and go to the course and think everything will be fine. It takes a long time and a lot of practice to make swing changes.

I was struggling with consistency big time and knew I was capable of playing better when I first visited Golftec. The packages are costly, but I'm glad I stuck with it. There were all kinds of things wrong with my original swing including swaying to my back foot, rolling the forearm and thus relying on timing to have the face pointing in the right direction, and just coming over the top. We did reconstruct my swing, and it took a while to really implement the changes because it's way too easy to revert back to bad habits. Let's just say my scores last season were inconsistent.

Now I'm working with a different instructor at a local range, but there's no technology. However, he has a way of explaining things that has helped with consistency. However, I'm not sure it would be so effective if I hadn't done so much work previously.

In short, make sure you're putting time into practice. You need repetition to work on what you're learning, and attempting to work at it on the course can be difficult and sometimes incredibly frustrating.

...I really like their technology and all the computer systems to break down your swing, however, the problem I had was the instructor wanted to completely reconstruct my swing to be more like a picture of a pga professional. While I would love to have my swing look professional, I don't think changing one person's swing to match a pga player is the best way to go. This is where the instructor really comes into play. My instructor followed Golftec system like it was a book written by someone else. I mean I could have done the exact same thing if I spent a couple of hours learning the Golftec system. I didn't care for the instructor, but I felt he was the expert and I should follow his advice...
That's what I've heard over and over about Golftec, and it's the biggest thing that steers me away from them.

i think places like golftec are two sided...they want to help you get better...but they want you to get better in a way that makes them money as well. the same can be said for any instructor, i guess but i heard a similar story from a guy i've played a couple of tourneys with and the package he was quoted was $5K...i didn't ask anything more after i heard the price...my mind immediately went into "fuuck that" mode.

I did a 10 lesson package with them and would never do it again. Their bays were small. They had so many wires, angles, and degrees that they wanted me to hit, and not really helping me with my swing and what I was physically able to do. I understand pros are good to look at, but most folks can't do what they can do. I also didn't like that so much time was spent hooked up to that computer system. I like someone to show me what I need to do and make me feel it. Looking at a bunch of degrees, off screen, and not really explaining what and why I'm doing it, was not for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think it really depends on the instructor. I took lessons two different times with 2 different instructors and overall I would say it was a positive experience. I was typically shooting around 88 to 95 and after the 2 seasons, I was shooting 80 to 86 pretty regularly. The 2nd instructor wasn't as experienced as the first one, who moved out of town and would contradict himself every lesson which made me frustrated and confused.

One thing I didn't like is they basically teach a single plain swing and their training is pretty much cookie-cutter, one size fits all from my experience.

I found I had to keep going back to them every couple of weeks as I would start to slide back into bad habits and had little understanding of the actual swing mechanics as they would just tell you what to do and assign you drills with video instructions.

By the end of the 2nd year, I was ready to move on to a different instructor where I had more back and forth which allowed me to understand the swing a lot better which gave me more confidence and allowed me to take my game to the next level. Took me 3 tries to find the right instructor but doing so was worth the trial and error.

Anyone here have some difficulty in going from an indoor simulator environment like Golftec to the golf course?

Back