Private Course Dues

GrantD

Formerly Known as DMB012
Reaction score
Handicap
I had the chance to play a very nice private course near me yesterday. I was really impressed with the course shape at the hardest time of the summer in my area, the pace of play and the practice areas. It really has sparked my interest in joining a private course. I asked for a dues sheet from them and it was a little bit more than I can afford right now. It is $255 a month for a Junior membership. It is about $275 for a full membership.

I wanted to see if this was about the norm for most or higher?

I really don't mind paying this kind of price for the conditions they had at a private course, but just can't afford it now. I really wish I could. This really makes me want to try and go private to get away from the crowds of public courses.

I really hope to join one myself sometime.

Does that money get you any other perks? Pool tennis anything? Depending on the course that may be about standard especially if it is very nice

Grant, I'm not a member at a private course, but I can tell you that you're going to get answers that are all over the map in terms of pricing based on what area of the country people live in as well as how nice the course is. One thing that I can tell you to look into if you want to go the private route is whether there is a food/beverage minimum at a club on top of the monthly dues, because that adds to your budget.

I had the chance to play a very nice private course near me yesterday. I was really impressed with the course shape at the hardest time of the summer in my area, the pace of play and the practice areas. It really has sparked my interest in joining a private course. I asked for a dues sheet from them and it was a little bit more than I can afford right now. It is $255 a month for a Junior membership. It is about $275 for a full membership.

I wanted to see if this was about the norm for most or higher?

I really don't mind paying this kind of price for the conditions they had at a private course, but just can't afford it now. I really wish I could. This really makes me want to try and go private to get away from the crowds of public courses.

i would be all over a nice course at $275 if included everything .. most around here try to get you with cart fees being extra. also does it include access to like a gym or anything else or golf only?

That is about the norm for the fairly nice private clubs within 15 miles of me. Average about $300/month and most do not have any food/beverage minimums.

I bet if you look around you will find some that are lower. I pay a bit lowe r down here

Tapin for bird

Grant, I'm not a member at a private course, but I can tell you that you're going to get answers that are all over the map in terms of pricing based on what area of the country people live in as well as how nice the course is. One thing that I can tell you to look into if you want to go the private route is whether there is a food/beverage minimum at a club on top of the monthly dues, because that adds to your budget.

There is a $40 minimum on the food budget.

i would be all over a nice course at $275 if included everything .. most around here try to get you with cart fees being extra. also does it include access to like a gym or anything else or golf only?

The cart fees are $16 for 18. I don't think there is a gym, but there is a pool. (I don't think my family would use it, since we have a neighborhood pool now)

Compared to my home course, those rates are pretty high... but I am in a pretty inexpensive area. I know on Long Island where I grew up, the rates tended to be much higher than what you've quoted. A junior membership here is only $700 per year all inclusive--$300 without the cart plan. Membership page linked for reference:

http://www.maplehurstcountryclub.com/Membership.html

If I could join a private club in my area for $275 month I would of done so the minute I found out about it. Like some others have said I would see if there are any extra fees that would be added. However, if that is the flat price with no extra fees I think that's an amazing deal.

Mine are dirt cheap, but really more than I want to spend if I'm being honest.

I got a first year discount:

$1,350 dues, which comes out to 135/month because I'm paying it over the course of 10 months
$75 minimum in food and beverage per month.
$110 range fee (one time charge)
$$$ for anything else that I happen to buy like a cart, balls, tournament fees, handicapping, etc

The thing is, I figured it would be right at $200/month total (dues + food), but it's been anywhere from $40 to $175 more than that depending on the month. At this point, I don't enter any events, I don't get a cart, and I pay cash for everything to avoid a big bill, so a lot of the perks aren't really there for me.

If I had to do it again in my current financial situation I wouldn't do it. After the kids are older or I'm making more money, maybe I'll feel differently, but it's a lot of money for me to pay with the amount of time I have available these days.

I think that's pretty cheap.

You will likely never actually pay $275 a month. My guess is you see bills close to the $400 range if you are riding very often.

Only a 20 dollar gap between junior and full? That seems weird..

My course is a Palmer, private. It's 380 per month for full and 300 for junior members.

They charging initiation?

Whoa............ you guys live around come cheap clubs. The one I live at (not a member) is $4500 a year dues (technically a ten grand activation fee but it's always waived cause nobody wants to pay that) with $250 per 3 months dining minimum, $7per 9 for a cart, outrageous prices in the pro shop.

The other one by me is three clubs in one for $10,000 a year, not sure about dining, carts, anything else...

Mine are dirt cheap, but really more than I want to spend if I'm being honest.

I got a first year discount:

$1,350 dues, which comes out to 135/month because I'm paying it over the course of 10 months
$75 minimum in food and beverage per month.
$110 range fee (one time charge)
$$$ for anything else that I happen to buy like a cart, balls, tournament fees, handicapping, etc

The thing is, I figured it would be right at $200/month total (dues + food), but it's been anywhere from $40 to $175 more than that depending on the month. At this point, I don't enter any events, I don't get a cart, and I pay cash for everything to avoid a big bill, so a lot of the perks aren't really there for me.

If I had to do it again in my current financial situation I wouldn't do it. After the kids are older or I'm making more money, maybe I'll feel differently, but it's a lot of money for me to pay with the amount of time I have available these days.

This is sorta where I am at right now. I really want to join one, but it would be really tight for me to afford it. I think later in life it will be easier to afford and I will have more time to play. One thing I really want out of it is getting away from public courses and wait times. I think the private sector is the way to go for this.

This is sorta where I am at right now. I really want to join one, but it would be really tight for me to afford it. I think later in life it will be easier to afford and I will have more time to play. One thing I really want out of it is getting away from public courses and wait times. I think the private sector is the way to go for this.

I hear you there dude. I guess my experience has been that peak times, which are usually when I play, are still busy. Yes, I can get on the course on a weekend morning without callling ahead, but I'm still looking at a four hour or 4.5 hour round, if that makes sense. It is nice during off-times in that I can literally just drive there, hop on the course and go.

It's a toss up dude. If I had more time to be social I think I'd get more out of it, but in all honesty, I don't have time for that.

As many have noted, the monthly fees aren't usually where they get you.. it's the cart fees, food bills, etc..

I'd avoid any food/beverage minimums, and if you do go somewhere, never ever pay on your account, pay with card/cash. That way you avoid bills at the end of the month that surprise you.

Whoa............ you guys live around come cheap clubs. The one I live at (not a member) is $4500 a year dues (technically a ten grand activation fee but it's always waived cause nobody wants to pay that) with $250 per 3 months dining minimum, $7per 9 for a cart, outrageous prices in the pro shop.

The other one by me is three clubs in one for $10,000 a year, not sure about dining, carts, anything else...
Man that's expensive! I like playing different courses so I'm not sure joining one would be for me. Although the pace of play seems to be faster at the private courses I have played, that's a big plus to me.

Man that's expensive! I like playing different courses so I'm not sure joining one would be for me. Although the pace of play seems to be faster at the private courses I have played, that's a big plus to me.

I'd agree with the faster pace of play comment. My average round time for 18 this year has been under 3 hours. Even at peak times it's rarely pushed over 4.

Don't take anything I say as me trying to talk you out of it, Grant. They are just things I wish I'd considered prior to jumping in. Lots of people talk about the events being great, and they are, but in may case they are close to $40 extra when you pay the entry fee and the cart fee. I'd rather pay nothing and go walk after the event is over to save a few bucks.

I very very rarely play a found over 4 hours at my private course. Look around grant, you might find one in your price range.

Tapin for bird

Don't take anything I say as me trying to talk you out of it, Grant. They are just things I wish I'd considered prior to jumping in. Lots of people talk about the events being great, and they are, but in may case they are close to $40 extra when you pay the entry fee and the cart fee. I'd rather pay nothing and go walk after the event is over to save a few bucks.

I'm going to second this as well.. I think it's great that clubs try to create events for their members, but they definitely get in the way.. Mens league and womens league will take up at least half the course two nights out of the week.. Tournaments close the course down for weekends... It can get pretty frustrating.

That's pretty reasonable I'd say. We've got 2 private courses right here in Sioux Falls and one of them is right around $250 a month for a silver membership. Silver membership basically has full access to everything but you have to tee off before noon on weekdays and after 3pm on weekends I think. You can get a gold membership for around $400 a month. The other private club is much more expensive and seems to be a little more on the stuffy side but basically they're around $5k a year more than the one I mentioned.

We've really looked closely at it and have gone as far as taking the wife and kids out there for a day at the pool while I played golf with a buddy who's a member. Ultimately we did not sign up....yet.

I am putting a good thinking on doing this too. I am a member of a local public course, but their greens are always painfully slow and the bunkers are complete crap. The place is just getting worse as time goes on. I only paid a grand for membership, but I am not getting my moneys worth I am afraid.

Thanks dude. This course is a walkable course. It is not to hilly and I think with a cart it would be easy. I don't know how much I would get in to the events either. I really don't have time for it. I play most of the time during the week after I get off work at 3. Sometimes on the weekend, when I am in town.

I very very rarely play a found over 4 hours at my private course. Look around grant, you might find one in your price range.

Tapin for bird

I am going to email another one that is close by and get their rates. I don't want to get to far, so I don't have to drive far to practice.

That's pretty reasonable I'd say. We've got 2 private courses right here in Sioux Falls and one of them is right around $250 a month for a silver membership. Silver membership basically has full access to everything but you have to tee off before noon on weekdays and after 3pm on weekends I think. You can get a gold membership for around $400 a month. The other private club is much more expensive and seems to be a little more on the stuffy side but basically they're around $5k a year more than the one I mentioned.

We've really looked closely at it and have gone as far as taking the wife and kids out there for a day at the pool while I played golf with a buddy who's a member. Ultimately we did not sign up....yet.

I really want to take the plunge but want to get my moneys worth. I really been wanting to move closer to a course I could join to get the most out of it I can. We have a pool in the neighborhood now, but if I moved closer to the course. The club's pool might be more interesting to me.

I'm going to second this as well.. I think it's great that clubs try to create events for their members, but they definitely get in the way.. Mens league and womens league will take up at least half the course two nights out of the week.. Tournaments close the course down for weekends... It can get pretty frustrating.

I would hope this wouldn't happen, but I am sure it stays busy on the weekends. I guess it would matter how many members they have.

Back