Practice putting LEFTHANDED! (What in the <expletive>?) Ha ha ha....

butchammon

Keeping it "old school"
Reaction score
Handicap
what?
So funny... My sister stopped over earlier this afternoon around lunchtime (drop off a gift and birthday card for my wife). Beforehand, I had told my sister to grab her putter and bring it with her, as I wanted to show her my putting mat and my new Putt-Out training device too.

She had a ball with her ladies lefthanded mallet putter, making putt after putt on the mat. She liked the Putt-Out too and wants to get one as well. I got out my Odyssey White Hot XG 1 from my bag and was also making putt after putt. Sooooo... as hilarious as this sounds, we switched:

Sister: A natural lefty, using my righty Odyssey White Hot. Absolute confusion and hilariousness... :LOL:
Me: Kind of ambidextrous, lefty this, righty that, but GOLF RIGHTY - using a ladies lefthanded mallet putter. Total chaos and confusion.... :LOL:

My sister took a quick photo of me trying to figure out how to putt lefty. LOL... Never again... :LOL:
Resized_20230713_123228[1].jpg

I feel like putting is the easy part. Would have been interesting to see you guys take full swings the opposite direction lol

she should’ve blackmailed you with that pic!

i’ve actually been tempted to try putting lefty. i’m lefty in everything except baseball hitting and golf so maybe it would work? lord knows I can’t putt righty.

That's too funny. I've definitely had times I've thought about putting right handed instead of left handed. I've never gone through with it, but every time I pick up a rh putter and make a few I think about it again. :LOL:

Before you putt lefty, try the left hand low technique. It is actually interesting to do. It creates less flip of the right wrist. I have begun to see a fair number on the LPGA tour use this method, not so much on the PGA tour. But the technique does seem to produce a more solid straight forward strike.

I tried it with my wife’s putter, but still held it like normal.

Ha! Sounds like a fun time!

Thanks everyone.... Yeah, it was crazy fun! Neither of us could putt worth a damn with the opposite stance. :LOL:

It reminded me of back a number of years ago with my (late) brother-in-law, my sister (same sister as mentioned above), and myself all at the local driving range, practicing a bit before a simple 9-hole round. My bro-in-law and I decided to get a little goofy, and we switched 7-irons. I had his lefty 7-iron and he had my righty 7-iron, and we switched tee boxes as well. We looked like a couple of clowns out there, whiffing and whiffing and flailing away the ball, trying to figure out how to swing in the opposite direction! :LOL:

One of the guys I play with, 80 years old, plays right-handed but has a bulls eye putter that he uses to putt left-handed, and he is good at it! I've got an old bulls eye in the garage that I've been tempted to try using left-handed, and as bad as my "make percentage" has been, I may just have to do that! I suspect I'll struggle like you @butchammon!

Back