Pops - Do you take advantage?

Unless someone tells me I am getting a pop I really do not pay attention. Already way too much of a mental game as it is, no need for one more thought to clutter my knuckle dragger head.

What a “pop”….. j/k, I don’t get them often in league but definitely try to take advantage when I can. I’m really trying to get more in the mindset of course management and not trying to force anything, just approach the hole as if I was playing for my own score.

Looks like I’m giving up 3 the first week of league…. Hope I can shoot close to my handicap but doubtful all the winter rust is off yet.

I’ll let you know in two weeks. I’ll be getting a lot of pops.

I was able to take good advantage of them a couple holes this weekend for some dollar bills. Like anyone else I can put a couple good shots together, but when I do I’m going to win that hole most of the time. The reliance is on stringing together 3 good shots for me, which is not always the case.

disappointed standing in the rain GIF

I don’t let them influence me at all until, maybe near/on the green. In your case, blowing up the toughest holes is not unreasonable. Sort of makes sense. You get pops in the hardest holes makes it tough to use them to your advantage. I think you may be thinking too much? For so free strokes, in your good golf case.

Sometimes I try and force the issue too much with a pop. But sometimes it’s just fine.

I can tread half the time, and the other half I ruin it.

I haven’t for the longest time. But I think I could take advantage of them now. I’ve been calculating my course handicap before rounds and I’ve been scoring better. Something changed in how I think about my handicap strokes. Maybe it’s less about forcing a birdie or more about knowing I have strokes to work with. Too much of how I approach golf has changed to pinpoint it. Of course that’s just casual rounds. Who knows how I’ll fare in competition.

I'm going to find out in a couple weeks, butt I've got a guess.

I’m aware if I’m against them. Don’t pay any mind to having them.

Oh yeah. If I get a pop I mediocre my way through a hole to just sneak out the win every time.

As soon as I get that first time, every time. 😉

I never want know what holes I get pops on. It doesn’t seem to help me.

Recency bias, but based on my game this weekend I'd have to say no. The only thing I took advantage of was net double bogey max, or it might have been even worse. :LOL:

Pretty sure I’ve sucked at taking advantage of pops in the two team experiences I’ve been in

If I'm hitting it particularly well off the tee, I'll just go with the flow and not change anything.

But, if not, I learned long ago that pops can disappear in an instant with just one swing of the club. Because they come on the hardest holes, that means it would most often be tough sledding for my opponent, too. Rather than surrender my advantage with a bad club choice at the start, I'll remind myself that a push isn't the end of the world, while losing the hole is out of the question.

Unfortunately I'm not good enough to take advantage of them. I just play the hole and whatever happens, happens.

Knowing I have one tends to lead to a bad hole for whatever reason. Maybe it's extra pressure to make sure I post a decent score, idk. But like you I struggle more it seems like on those holes. Would be interesting to play and not know about pops and see if the same thing happens

I would just like to get some pops to have the opportunity to take advantage with 🙃

I’ve was pretty good at taking advantage of them in my THP experience. The only other time I get them is in the AZ THP league matches and I’m 50/50 on using them well

I try not to even think about it and just let whatever happens happen. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

Back