Pondering Graphite Shafts

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Begining to think about moving to graphite shafts in the coming year. Really for two reasons - I'm interested to see what they're like. And... Been told that they're easier on the body and swing.

Issue at hand is I'm not sure what to look at or even where to start.

Current setup: DGX100 at 132g 4-PW. Need a low ball flight as well.
I've tried other shafts and they just seem so light that I feel like I can't feel the head of the club. so have used lead tape to help out as well.

So - all you tech heads and shaft wizards - Any insight or suggested direction? Thanks all.

If I were to go to a fitting that would be the first shaft the fitter would want to put me in. Myself with arthritis in my hands and elbow issues I went to graphite. I found a great deal on some LA L-Series 120 6TX shafts and put them in my JPX 923 tours. The swing weight was definitely off, like a heavy C I think. I added lead tape to get them to D2 and I think they are fine coming from D3-4 range with steel. At the Grandaddy, I got the MMT 105TX, which actually weighs 113 according to their website. Callaway built them to D3 with the weight on the back of CBs and they feel great.

The LA shafts I could get the flight really high or keep it kinda low without loss of distance. The MMTs might have a lower flight compared to them, but wasn't really paying attention. I never really had an issue of not being able to feel the head after I got SW to D2.

I know the Club Champion by me has a lot of graphite iron options and would suggest if you have near you to maybe setup a fitting to try them out. The only thing is they might not have X like the one near me.

Hope this helps and once you get graphite installed you'll be so happy, I know I'll never put steel in another iron or wedge again.

If you want to feel the head I think Steelfibre’s really excel there. I think Recoils and MMT are going to feel a little bit head light compared to Steelfibre in my experience.

i spent some time trying to get into graphite, but ultimately went back to steel. one of the biggest things i learned is i would never recommend someone go into graphite blindly. think of it like a wood shaft; the material gives the manufacturer a ton of options in weight distribution, kick point, etc whereas steel is much more limiting. the differences in feel among various graphite options is significant, so you really need to try them first.

some of my favorites have been la golf, steelfiber private reserve, and og recoil.

Begining to think about moving to graphite shafts in the coming year. Really for two reasons - I'm interested to see what they're like. And... Been told that they're easier on the body and swing.

Issue at hand is I'm not sure what to look at or even where to start.

Current setup: DGX100 at 132g 4-PW. Need a low ball flight as well.
I've tried other shafts and they just seem so light that I feel like I can't feel the head of the club. so have used lead tape to help out as well.

So - all you tech heads and shaft wizards - Any insight or suggested direction? Thanks all.
I am going through this process right now as we speak. Couple of things I have found as I do this search as I have talked to some fitters. I am a little bit different as I already have my iron heads that I want to keep and just fit the graphite shaft.
I have swung some of the lighter graphite and it just doesnt seem to work for me. I know I need heavier. The problem that I have found around here is that many of the fitters do not have the heavier graphite in their fitting shafts. As soon as it got over 75-85 no one had it.
I ended up just purchasing a 7iron recoil dart shaft and am having it built out to test. After talking to a couple fitters it ends up being the best course of action around here. I don’t build my own clubs though so it have to outsource that piece 😞
It may be a little spendier than I would like but I think it is worth doing.

I am going through this process right now as we speak. Couple of things I have found as I do this search as I have talked to some fitters. I am a little bit different as I already have my iron heads that I want to keep and just fit the graphite shaft.
I have swung some of the lighter graphite and it just doesnt seem to work for me. I know I need heavier. The problem that I have found around here is that many of the fitters do not have the heavier graphite in their fitting shafts. As soon as it got over 75-85 no one had it.
I ended up just purchasing a 7iron recoil dart shaft and am having it built out to test. After talking to a couple fitters it ends up being the best course of action around here. I don’t build my own clubs though so it have to outsource that piece 😞
It may be a little spendier than I would like but I think it is worth doing.
That might be the key. Purchase a 7 iron shaft and change it out. I can swap shafts and have an extra set of clubs I'd use - would allow me to grab a couple of other club building items I've been looking at for the last few months.

Steel fiber?

Calling @OldandStiff. He has done a lengthy analysis of graphite options that will probably help you.

I feel the graphite shafts are easier on my hands and elbows. I don’t have nearly your clubhead speed so my options won’t help you.

I could bounce between those full blood X100 and Steelfiber i125X in a blink of eye. Really natural swap for me on some things. I like the i125X more than the i110X I play honestly. Profile changes a bit. L-Series is another I could play from those. Just expensive. MMT125TX was a little different but I could play that as well. There's a few others that are similar weight but maybe less likely to fit the things you mentioned. Most tend to fly a little higher for most. Lots of options in things a little lighter too though.

*Edited because part of it got deleted somehow

Last edited:
I really liked the MMTs and TZI’s. If you have a smooth swing you’d really like the Dart V’s

UST Mamiya DART V and LINQ. You’re welcome.

I've played a few different graphite shafts previously, really loved the recoils and recoil dart shafts, but was just fit in to the MMT and love what I saw out of them during the fitting.

Honestly I'd see about getting fit someplace and be open and honest with the fitter about what you're looking for or at

Recoil proto from a few years ago

I’m in the same boat for the same reasons. Also I’m just curious because from what I’m seeing other than price tour weight graphite seems to be superior to steel in every other possible way.

Also played x100 for a long time. I never needed an iron shaft to help with getting the ball high in the air. I’ve gone with the MMT 125tx. They are supposed to be inspired by the flex pattern of the X100. I’m trying to do this experiment on the cheap so I bought a set of used shafts from eBay and have a set of heads on the way to put them in to see how I like them. If I hate them after playing them for a few months I’m not going to feel like I have to keep them in the bag because I spent $2500 on them.

A couple of months ago Ian on club champion’s YouTube channel did a head to head comparison of I think 4 different tour weight graphite iron shafts. It was interesting to see the subtle differences in the way the shafts performed and hear his perceptions of how the different shafts felt to him.

I have played Recoils, MMT’s & Steelfibres in multiple different flexes and all I can say is find somewhere that carries all the options and using your preferred head, do a fitting.

Each one is slightly different and I found you need to find one that matches your swing. I have a tendency to add a little extra at impact which for me a stiffer tip worked best. I could have saved a lot of time and money from the onset if I had a fitting from the onset. Good luck.

Recoil Darts are really good. If you want to play something stout, could also take a look at Steelfibers. But I’d definitely start with Recoils

Was coming to say this, though they’re not low low like the X100’s imo, more low-mid/low.

The other thing to remember is swing weight them. So many just slap in graphite with no true prep work and then can’t feel the head which leads to them scrapping the experiment. However, swing weight them and you can make even 105-110g shafts feel in swing like the 132g ones.

I also think the MMT’s in TX are a good place to look.

Was coming to say this, though they’re not low low like the X100’s imo, more low-mid/low.

The other thing to remember is swing weight them. So many just slap in graphite with no true prep work and then can’t feel the head which leads to them scrapping the experiment. However, swing weight them and you can make even 105-110g shafts feel in swing like the 132g ones.
Thanks @Jman.

The swing weight is interesting to me on this topic. I think I need to start there first as I don't know what mine is. I just know that I like to feel the head/face of the club - that's all I know. new clubs that I've either recieved or purchase just haven't done it for me probably because the swing weight is off.

Went down a rabbit hole last night looking at swing weight and how to find it and adjust it at home. The rabbit hole will probably continue throughout this process.

This right here, Make sure you get a constant Swing Weight, There are Less expensive ways of figuring SW if you don't want to but your own scale. Using Balance point and shaft length and calculating them out manually or websites calculators.

Thanks @Jman.

The swing weight is interesting to me on this topic. I think I need to start there first as I don't know what mine is. I just know that I like to feel the head/face of the club - that's all I know. new clubs that I've either recieved or purchase just haven't done it for me probably because the swing weight is off.

Went down a rabbit hole last night looking at swing weight and how to find it and adjust it at home. The rabbit hole will probably continue throughout this process.
Some really good videos on THPTV on YouTube breaking it down for what it’s worth.

I can swing weight a 100g shaft to D5 and when you pick it up you’d never guess it was that light as it would feel like hoisting mjolnir. 🤣

I really enjoyed playing the MMTs for a season. Currently I'm in the axioms 125x. Absolutely enjoy them, and highly recommend them. My best season of Golf was last year and that has lead me to being a firm believer of the Velocore.

My flight window is right where I like it - low/mid. The feel of the shaft, to me, seems like what swing I give it is the swing I'm going to get. And I also feel that shots off the center aren't punished off the irons as much as steel shafts. Shot scope really showed my back to front dispersion really tightened up this year.

Back