Poll: Fan of Mr. Woods?

Poll: Fan of Mr. Woods?

• Yes - Always was

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • Yes - I wasn't before, but this whole womanizing thing showed me he's a pretty cool dude

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • No - I was before, or I didn't mind him, but now, I don't care for him

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • No - Never was

Votes: 24 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NikeGolf

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious to see how many are or aren't fans of Tiger.

Did his "infedelities" turn you off or have no bearing on whether you like him or not?

Fan or not?

EDIT - I think I should clarify what I would consider a "fan".

Example:

Tiger is tied for the lead w/ 4 other golfers going down the back nine on the final day. 6 others are one shot back. Do you want to see Tiger win the tournament?

IE - Do you root for Tiger to win? If yes, then you're a fan. If you do most of the time, I would still consider that being a fan.

If you don't want Tiger to win, or don't really care that he wins, then no, I wouldn't call that being a fan of his.

Last edited:
Was a fan, not anymore though & the infidelities weren't the cause of it. Combination of his poor on course behavior coupled with his hiding out after the affairs became public knowledge & hoping it would all just go away.

I voted Yes, Always Was but I definitely will say my perception of him has certainly changed recently. And when I say I always was a fan it's of his abilities on the golf course, not his behavior on or off the course. I've never liked the way he conducted himself- but the man is amazing to watch play golf and because of that I will always be a fan.

Never was a fan,but I admired what he did on the golf course.He is the best at this time.

I'm a fan... He makes golf exciting to watch (for me at least)... I was luck enough to be at Torrey Pines on Day 4 when he sunk the putt that put him in the playoff with Rocco... it was unreal how he battled through that round! I only wish I got to see him on day 3 when he sunk those unreal putts...

I'm a fan of his still, he's GREAT at the game of golf and that's why :)

I was never a fan, although I appreciated his special golfing talent. He may be remembered as the greatest golfer ever, but I never enjoyed his tantrums, fist pumps, his language, his ego, etc...

JMO, but I thought of him as a spoiled child who lived a VERY good life, and one who was blessed with unbelievable athletic talent. I give him credit for couplng that talent with a great work ethic.

Whatever other trouble he's gotten himself into recently, really has had no impact on my perception of him, positive or negative. Although maybe unparallelled in his profession, he is still a professional athlete, nothing more, nothing less. :confused2:

I voted #3. I just figure a person who has more respect for their job, income, handlers and others, than they do for their own family is not someone that should be appreciated. I won't mind watching him hit "golf shots" again, but I could take him, or leave him at this point.

He's a great golfer and to me that's all he'll ever be.

I find that I can't vote. I'm no longer a fan of Tiger, but a fan of what he can do. I can take what he does on the course, many others do the same things in all sports, as well as off course, I don't appreciate knowing about it. If you had a vote for his game I'd say yes, but voting yes or no to Tiger seem's to imply game and all and I can't go the whole package in a yes or no.

I find that I can't vote. I'm no longer a fan of Tiger, but a fan of what he can do. I can take what he does on the course, many others do the same things in all sports, as well as off course, I don't appreciate knowing about it. If you had a vote for his game I'd say yes, but voting yes or no to Tiger seem's to imply game and all and I can't go the whole package in a yes or no.

Fair. I edited my initial post on this thread. Maybe that will clear up what I would consider being a "fan" of someone or not.

I always enjoyed rooting against him. I like pulling for the under dog.

I was never a fan, although I appreciated his special golfing talent. He may be remembered as the greatest golfer ever, but I never enjoyed his tantrums, fist pumps, his language, his ego, etc...

JMO, but I thought of him as a spoiled child who lived a VERY good life, and one who was blessed with unbelievable athletic talent. I give him credit for couplng that talent with a great work ethic.

Whatever other trouble he's gotten himself into recently, really has had no impact on my perception of him, positive or negative. Although maybe unparallelled in his profession, he is still a professional athlete, nothing more, nothing less. :confused2:

You hear this now and then about Tiger, and it's a valid point in some aspects, but let's put it in perspective.

What great pro athlete DOESN'T show similar traits such as Tiger's?

Just about any great athlete I can think of has a big ego, shows their emotions, yells at teammates, etc etc. Of course you need God given talent, but to be really great, I believe you need that big ego to drive you ahead of all the rest. Anyone as competitive and fired up as Tiger gets is going to show emotion during the heat of the moment. At the same time, if he didn't have that high strung, highly competitive persona, he wouldn't be as good.

Look at Michael Jordan. He barked at teammates. Showed emotion on the court all the time. Got in the faces of competitors. He wanted to win, period. Kobe Bryant comes to mind when I think of someone else w/ this kind of persona as well.

Nobody calls those guys out and says they need to cut down the swearing, or try to be nicer to teammates and competitors.

"Hey Michael, I know you just dunked over Patrick Ewing in a big game in the Eastern Conference Finals, but did you have to yell and do a big fist pump after doing it? I mean, think of the children watching you." As rediculous as that sounds, it's similar to saying Tiger shouldn't fist pump after he makes a putt to win a tournament.

Yes, I realize golf isn't basketball but I'm correlating the kind of athlete we're talking about. You're not just going to tell Tiger to "tone" it down. It's who he is.

Last edited:
...Look at Michael Jordan. He barked at teammates. Showed emotion on the court all the time. Got in the faces of competitors. He wanted to win, period. Kobe Bryant comes to mind when I think of someone else w/ this kind of persona as well.

Nobody calls those guys out and says they need to cut down the swearing, or try to be nicer to teammates and competitors.

"Hey Michael, I know you just dunked over Patrick Ewing in a big game in the Eastern Conference Finals, but did you have to yell and do a big fist pump after doing it? I mean, think of the children watching you." As rediculous as that sounds, it's similar to saying Tiger shouldn't fist pump after he makes a putt to win a tournament.

Great points! But maybe its just me - I haven't watched pro basketball for 30+ years and one of the reasons is the "thug" attitude, or "in your face" personna many of these guys display.

Whatever happened to the philosophy of "acting like you've done it before?" The same goes for touchdown and "QB sack" dances in football, baseball players who stand at home plate to "pose and admire" after hitting a home run - act like you've done it before. If this is part of what makes them great, so be it, I just don't root for them. I know not all professional athletes act this way. Also, maybe I'm a "dinosaur," but I always believed golf was above these types of actions.

And I do think the athletes who display this personna have a negative impact on the kids who watch these sports. JMHO :confused2:

Last edited:
I guess I never really noticed the things that people talk about when they say tiger acts a certain way on the golf course. Perhaps I don't really notice the cussing and club throwing, but maybe because it doesn't seem to be a big deal to me.

But what Tiger brings to the game of golf is what I consider the Happy Gilmore factor. He made the game more appear more accessible and appealing to the masses. I would include myself in this category. As well... growing up in a "rougher" neighborhood, golf just simply wasn't a game that was of interest. It seemed boring and for either fat old balding men, or those born with a silver spoon. I could never understand why golf was always on TV because it was just sooooo boring.

Then Tiger appeared... he was young... he did not hold back... he looked like one of the neighborhood kids and he was awesome... this at least made it more interesting to watch over the years, and eventually when I started to actually play, I was always left in awe by his mental and physical ability.

So yes, I am a fan and will probably always be. What kills me is how everyone focuses on the morality issue, when so many guys would succumb to temptation if it were as easily and readily there as it is for Tiger.

First off, I wouldn't call him "Mister."

Second, I think he's an awesome golfer and enjoy watching him hit great golf shots. But I don't care so much if he wins or not. I did at first, when he first came out on Tour. But now I'd rather see people beat him, though admittedly it doesn't happen often enough.

I voted always a fan, even as an avid fan of golf I'm more apt to tune in and watch if he's lurking near the leaders on Sunday.

Love him or hate him, he's been good for the game.

I always will be, I cant turn my back on him for doing what we all dream about ( I am kidding Diane) :D

I never much liked Tiger and his recent behavior only made me dislike him even more. I would cheer for him during the Ryder Cup/President's Cup, but thats only because was representing the USA.
I definetly always respected his skill, talent and ability on the golf course; but never much liked him as a person or as a man.

i was a fan when he first burst onto the scene, but he became too pretentious, too alienated from his fans, plus i really get annoyed by hearing "in the hole" every single shot...

not a fan, prefer to see nicer people play.
prefer too that golf is about golf, and not about tiger.

You hear this now and then about Tiger, and it's a valid point in some aspects, but let's put it in perspective.

What great pro athlete DOESN'T show similar traits such as Tiger's?

Just about any great athlete I can think of has a big ego, shows their emotions, yells at teammates, etc etc. Of course you need God given talent, but to be really great, I believe you need that big ego to drive you ahead of all the rest. Anyone as competitive and fired up as Tiger gets is going to show emotion during the heat of the moment. At the same time, if he didn't have that high strung, highly competitive persona, he wouldn't be as good.

Look at Michael Jordan. He barked at teammates. Showed emotion on the court all the time. Got in the faces of competitors. He wanted to win, period. Kobe Bryant comes to mind when I think of someone else w/ this kind of persona as well.

Yes, I realize golf isn't basketball but I'm correlating the kind of athlete we're talking about. You're not just going to tell Tiger to "tone" it down. It's who he is.

while I agree that most of the real top level guys do have a passion for their sport, yell at teammates and whatnot

this is golf, not basketball, not football

if fans in the gallery at a golf tournament acted like fans at the black hole at a raiders game, they'd be tossed out in a second.

Better behavior is demanded to be a spectator of golf when compared to other sports, and better behavior should be expected of the athletes as well

the behavior tiger exhibits both after great shots and even more so after poor shots is over the line in many cases to me, which is why I've never been a tiger fan.

Just because Jordan or Kobe or T.O. or whoever act up on the field is irrelevant because behavior that's acceptable other places is not acceptable on a golf course.

Back