Playing Through on The Golf Channel

Parshooter36

Reaction score
Handicap
So I turned on TGC this morning, and European golf is on. When it goes to commercial, it goes to a split screen view continuing to show golf while the commercials are playing.
I haven't watched a lot of golf lately. How long have they been doing this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I just noticed it yesterday for the first time.

I like the idea of this!

It certainly is an interesting idea. Unfortunately it will probably become the trend for a lot of tv as the networks have found that viewers simply do not have the attention span (combined with the vast availability of other things to watch) to stay on a single channel during a commercial break. And seeing that commercials are the only thing keeping any tv on the air, naturally the advertisers do not like the current state of human mental capacity.

This all began in very recent years when (if you've noticed) networks like TNT and USA began rolling into the next slated show on the schedule during the time that the current shows credits were running - making a barely visible split screen.

All that has now been followed up by some networks not running credits all together, and topped off by, earlier this year, MTV going to a format where they will no longer even show the production companies vanity card (think "sit ubu sit, or Chuck Lorre's various rants,) instead just going immediately from show to show.

I'm not going to start a discussion on how rude and unprofessional I think all of the latter is, but as a film industry professional, I think it is incredibly disrespectful for the networks to omit the names of the incredibly talented and hard working people who give 80++++ hours of their weeks to make these shows happen (for nowhere near the pay of the actors.) But I digress.

Sadly, what we're more than likely to begin seeing in the near future is no more conventional commercials, but pop ups (think annoying you tube style) clouding our television screens when all we want to do is watch golf!

I'm terrified.

I've never seen this before but I like it cuz I hate commercials

It's interesting for sure, I'm not sure how necessary it is though. I suppose golf is one of the few if not the only televised sports where the action doesn't stop when they go to commercial. That being said, even as an avid golf fan, I rarely find myself hanging on every shot to the point where commercials are interrupting the flow of the round.

NBC have been doing it all year on their F1 coverage. Even with the action still going on next to the commercials, I still find it pretty difficult to watch. You guys have far too many commercial breaks out here!!!

That is the only way that soccer can make any impact at all on TV. When you have a sport that has no time outs or any breaks other than halftime, it doesn't work well for TV.

I seem to remember NASCAR doing this when I watched it all the time 5 years ago.

I noticed it today as well. I'll like it a lot when we get in to the majors.

I guess the networks are trying to get the advertising in still with the modern DVRs. I rarely watch anything live as it's happening, because I'll DVR it and watch it later just so I can skip through the commercials.

I seem to remember NASCAR doing this when I watched it all the time 5 years ago.

Yes. NASCAR had been doing this for quite awhile

tappin from my big as note2

They've been doing this for a while with auto racing. Kinda like it.

That is the only way that soccer can make any impact at all on TV. When you have a sport that has no time outs or any breaks other than halftime, it doesn't work well for TV.

They start doing that with football, I'm moving back to the UK LOL

They've been doing this for a while with auto racing. Kinda like it.

Yup. I'm a formula one fan and watch most events, albeit they are recorded. They've been doing this for a couple seasons now and it's great.

Most popular sport in the world has done just fine with advertising without commercials (soccer)

Most popular sport in the world has done just fine with advertising without commercials (soccer)

In the eyes of TV and viewership, F1 is technically the most popular (or at least the most watched) sport in the world with over 2.5 billion viewers PER RACE. Soccer only beats those numbers during World Cup matches.

Than said, soccer is still vastly more popular in terms of fandom, and participation.

They start doing that with football, I'm moving back to the UK LOL

I would almost guarantee it is a lot of the reason TV never embraced the sport here. The other reason is the low scoring and the ties, but when you can't get a sport on TV in the U.S., it's not going to grow much.

Not in the United States. Not on the big networks. It's why it hasn't grown very much here.

Not every having seen it, does the in game commercial use a split screen or some kind of picture in picture? Obviously you're losing the game audio, but what else? Is it annoying to watch?

In the eyes of TV and viewership, F1 is technically the most popular (or at least the most watched) sport in the world with over 2.5 billion viewers PER RACE. Soccer only beats those numbers during World Cup matches.

Than said, soccer is still vastly more popular in terms of fandom, and participation.

I considered that before I typed it, but I was trying to make a comparison to a vastly popular sport that is successful without the use of commercials. But you are 100% correct and those drivers get PAID and LAID lol.

Not every having seen it, does the in game commercial use a split screen or some kind of picture in picture? Obviously you're losing the game audio, but what else? Is it annoying to watch?

It's a picture in picture and yes you loose the sound of the sport cast. It's less annoying that the commercial break...

I'm not going to start a discussion on how rude and unprofessional I think all of the latter is, but as a film industry professional, I think it is incredibly disrespectful for the networks to omit the names of the incredibly talented and hard working people who give 80++++ hours of their weeks to make these shows happen (for nowhere near the pay of the actors.) But I digress.

Sadly, what we're more than likely to begin seeing in the near future is no more conventional commercials, but pop ups (think annoying you tube style) clouding our television screens when all we want to do is watch golf!

I'm terrified.

I'm one of those weird people that sits through the credits in the movie theater. Not just to see if there's a surprise scene at the end; I consider it respectful to pay attention to who all was in the crew.

I'm one of those weird people that sits through the credits in the movie theater. Not just to see if there's a surprise scene at the end; I consider it respectful to pay attention to who all was in the crew.

Well, believe me when I say, it is appreciated.

Well, believe me when I say, it is appreciated.

One of my friends moved to LA last year to try and be an actor. I'll buy you a round of golf + beer if you get him a job lol

One of my friends moved to LA last year to try and be an actor. I'll buy you a round of golf + beer if you get him a job lol

That's a nice offer, but I doubt its gonna happen. Sadly, there are 10s of thousands of people who move out here hoping to make it big every year, and the percentage of those who find a way to make a living (key there) is somewhere like .02%

I'd say its a lot harder than making the PGA tour.

Back