playing the old course, requirements?

MPlefty

Reaction score
Handicap
so I will be traveling to Scotland next May and would love to play the old course with my FIL, one thing though, we do not have an official handicap as we are not member anywhere, can we just buy an handicap service somewhere and enter our last few rounds?

Yes. Find an online service that gets you a GHIN. Enter your last 20 rounds. Print your handicap card before you travel.

You need an official handicap to play there?

I think that's for the Old Course. I played the New Course back in 2001 when I didn't have a handicap since we couldn't get on the Old Course without one.

so I will be traveling to Scotland next May and would love to play the old course with my FIL, one thing though, we do not have an official handicap as we are not member anywhere, can we just buy an handicap service somewhere and enter our last few rounds?

Need a 3rd?!? I"ll make you a deal. You pay for my plane ticket and lodging...and I'll grace you with my presence! :-D

But I use ushandicap.com. They don't use GHIN. They use Golfnet, but are USGA compliant.

Need a 3rd?!? I"ll make you a deal. You pay for my plane ticket and lodging...and I'll grace you with my presence! :-D

But I use ushandicap.com. They don't use GHIN. They use Golfnet, but are USGA compliant.

i also use ushandicap.com, and printed my card from that site to present to the starter at the old course. they accepted it.

and i've posted in other similar threads, but when i went i saw somebody get turned away because they didn't have a card to present. i've heard stories of them not asking for a card, but why chance it?

i also use ushandicap.com, and printed my card from that site to present to the starter at the old course. they accepted it.

and i've posted in other similar threads, but when i went i saw somebody get turned away because they didn't have a card to present. i've heard stories of them not asking for a card, but why chance it?
Thanks, I'll try to find the Canadian equivalent to ushandicap, they won't let me use a Canadian home course.

Yes. Men have to have a handicap of 24 or lower, women are 32 I think.

Thanks, I'll try to find the Canadian equivalent to ushandicap, they won't let me use a Canadian home course.

Ah yes....how could I forget. You’re from “up there”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also use The Grint

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes. Its USGA compliant and official

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep, I can confirm that The Grint works at the Old Course. They allow you to print out your card, so not a bad idea in case the app's not working that day.

We printed our GHIN cards but they never asked to see it, the starter just asked what our handicaps were. You don't need one the other courses at St. Andrews but it's required for The Old.

I'd love for you to join us but you'll have to get there yourself ;)

Having been to Ireland I'll just say, it is an awfully long trip to not be 100% sure you can get on. I'd use GHIN

Congrats Marty. Have fun man. Take lots of pics for us!!!!!!!!

I use the grint app, super easy just enter scores and good to go

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A friend of mine went this summer and had to show handicap at every course they played. Including the Old Course and Carnoustie.

Having been to Ireland I'll just say, it is an awfully long trip to not be 100% sure you can get on. I'd use GHIN

Ain’t the truth. I printed cards, made sure the app was working & had a letter from my pro. I was covered. They never asked for proof.

Just walk up to the first tee and tell the starter, "Hey man, watch this!"

On second thought, there are some good options in the thread for handicap services. :act-up:

Just walk up to the first tee and tell the starter, "Hey man, watch this!"

On second thought, there are some good options in the thread for handicap services. :act-up:

Helpful Brian is fun.

I hope you enjoy your trip OP, we’re going to need lots of pictures!

I had some friends in Scotland get me a handicap card saying I was playing out of Ladybank. Enjoy the experience. Walk and get a caddy.

I had some friends in Scotland get me a handicap card saying I was playing out of Ladybank. Enjoy the experience. Walk and get a caddy.

Is not walking an option?

I did find out though, once the caddies figured out we carried every round here @ home that we played proper golf. Our reads & lines got way better. Apparently, Americans are notorious for rising carts & they just assume we can’t put one foot in front of the other.

Helpful Brian is fun.

I hope you enjoy your trip OP, we’re going to need lots of pictures!

I'll do what I can. golf will not be the focus of this trip as it will be a family vacation, but I have to make this happen while I'm there.

Back