Play Safe or Go For It? Hybrid Delima!

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I've seen this several times, but not really seeing it today. On the course I'm playing a lot now, I find myself in that 190 to 200 yard range quite a bit. I feel like I can generally get up and down, but there's the occasional miscue that costs me several shots per round.

Do most of you go for it from that range or lay up? I can hit the 19* around 210, but accuracy is not the best.

190-200 yards i'll go at it duey.

This should come as no surprise to you but 95% of the time I go for it. Mainly because I have more fun when I am being more aggressive ;) That being said if it is in a tournament where every shot does count I'll think twice about it, then go for it anyway.

This really came up yesterday because I was working hard at smoothing out the swing and not swinging as hard. The swing change helped the irons and driver, but my hybrids are now all over the place. Once I started just punching a 6 or 7 iron out there looking for the 90 yard shot my game improved a bit, but no great birds either.

This should come as no surprise to you but 95% of the time I go for it. Mainly because I have more fun when I am being more aggressive ;) That being said if it is in a tournament where every shot does count I'll think twice about it, then go for it anyway.

The two of you can hit a hybrid like I hit my 9 iron though, lol. 200 19* for me is swinging out of the shoes, so not real accurate.

+1 but depending on the lie and green that's a 4h for me which will come in high and soft if hit right

duey, if that yardage is stretching your 19* hybrid, have you given any thought to a lower lofter hybrid or perhaps a 5w?

+1 but depending on the lie and green that's a 4h for me which will come in high and soft if hit right

Sounds like I'm not alone going for it. I guess you might have hit it with the lie and what trouble is around the green.

duey, if that yardage is stretching your 19* hybrid, have you given any thought to a lower lofter hybrid or perhaps a 5w?

That might just be the answer. I'm considering trying a different hybrid, but the 5 wood might be a better choice.

If there is any trouble around the green that is definitely a lay-up for me. In fact it was making that decision and sticking with it every round that dropped me under 100. If it's wide open without water or sand I will use a nice easy 5 wood and see if I can roll it up there- but that is pretty unusual. I have not had much luck with hybrids less than 21* in loft.

For me, it depends on pin placement and hazards around the green. I'd rather save my score and layup a majority of the time.

Actually, pin placement for me from 200 isn't even a consideration, lol. From that far out I'm just hoping to hit the green, anywhere. I feel really solid from 80 yards with a full 60* or 95 yards with a sw, I may give that a try tonight and see if my scores improve. Although TC has me thinking on a 5w, lol.

Actually, pin placement for me from 200 isn't even a consideration, lol. From that far out I'm just hoping to hit the green, anywhere. I feel really solid from 80 yards with a full 60* or 95 yards with a sw, I may give that a try tonight and see if my scores improve. Although TC has me thinking on a 5w, lol.

there's nothing wrong with laying up to a number, believe me, but it would be nice to have a club in your bag that you can put a nice, easy smooth swing on, and count on it giving you that 190-200 yard distance.

there's nothing wrong with laying up to a number, believe me, but it would be nice to have a club in your bag that you can put a nice, easy smooth swing on, and count on it giving you that 190-200 yard distance.

Yes it would. The only problem is someting on the lower end would have to go. Not real sure I like that idea as my short game is were I make up a lot of shots, when its on.

I feel what you are saying here Duey. That said, I will always go for it at 200, unless there is big trouble in the spot that I normally miss. I can get a 4h to roll out to about 200, depending on the course conditions. If I am not on the green, I'm usually within an area that I feel comfortable to pitch/chip.

I feel what you are saying here Duey. That said, I will always go for it at 200, unless there is big trouble in the spot that I normally miss. I can get a 4h to roll out to about 200, depending on the course conditions. If I am not on the green, I'm usually within an area that I feel comfortable to pitch/chip.

Yep, there in lies my dilima. I go for it 99% of the time and this course has a lot of raised humps around the greens with tall grass, but no sand. If I could count on being in front I'b be all over it, but right and left into that grass sucks.

Kinda depends on what you are comfortable with, too. I prefer a 1/2 swing pitch to a full wedge a lot of times, so if I lay up, I'm still looking to get within 50 yards or so.

Kinda depends on what you are comfortable with, too. I prefer a 1/2 swing pitch to a full wedge a lot of times, so if I lay up, I'm still looking to get within 50 yards or so.

Good point. My 60* lately has gone anywhere from 70 to 80 yards. I can't dial it in right now, so I've been hitting a lot of bump and runs, or lob shots.

From a 190-200 hundred, I´d Go for it with a 3 hybrid unless its in a competition. My problem is I don´t like distances between 90-50 yards - never can seem to get those quite right.

I will go at it from that distance. Depending on the setup I can hit anywhere from a 5i to a 3h. Not all of us can Belbin it and hit a 7 irons haha

I will go at it from that distance. Depending on the setup I can hit anywhere from a 5i to a 3h. Not all of us can Belbin it and hit a 7 irons haha

No joke! I am happy with a 6 at 190. That guy can kill the ball though

I had that distance a lot when we played in florida. Especially on the Palmer Course. I think I hit more 3 and 4 hybrid shots that day than I do in a month.

me too bro. the wind was brutal

I would go for it with my 5 wood. I just got a Cleveland Launcher 19 degree 5W and it is so easy to hit. I really want the one coming out next year but I'm impatient. My coach shortened my backswing to make me have better accuracy and it is working well. When I take too big a swing, I always go left. I prefer my 5W & 7W for my longer shots. I took my 3W out of the bag for now.

If you have a club you hit that distance, Duey, you have to go for it. We older fellows can only hit 200 yard approach shots for a limited time. Take 'em when you can get 'em.

Kevin

Same dilema here DUey. I don't have a solid 200 yard club. My hybrid goes beyond that and it really makes this yardage tough. I have one hole at a local course that plays 200 (so it says) and there are days when I can get a 5i there but with a out of shoe type swing. 4i isnt money for me all the time haha. Hopefully you find something. Does choking up on the hybrid mess with your swing at all?

Back