Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

I love my I20's so much that believe it or not if they made a 2 iron I would probably pull my 3 wood out of my bag.

just ordered a 3 iron...am finding at the new course we joined that I need a club that is around 10-15 yards longer than my 4Iron, and my 3 hybrid is too long...my 4 Iron is just money to land about 215...and flight is true, can hit a knock down with it, or go for a higher launch...LOVE LOVE LOVE the 4 iron, and cannot wait to hit the 3 iron...I too would probably grab a 2 Iron if they made it...

Has anyone made the switch to these from G15's ? Im pondering the switch but havent had a chance to hit these yet.

I want to make the switch from my AP1s. Everyone says they feel great, but does that mean they punish you on mishits like a forged iron? I need some forgiveness and don't my hands to take a beating.

I switched from forged irons to the I20's. Feel is almost as good and misshits are sooo much more forgiving. Plus they are
much longer. At least one club for me.

Nothing like the feeling of stepping up to an 8 iron shot and wondering "how close?" rather than "can I get on?"
This...

I'm still in love with mine. Playing well with them right now.
And this...

Pretty much sums up how I feel about my clubs right there.

I switched from forged irons to the I20's. Feel is almost as good and misshits are sooo much more forgiving. Plus they are
much longer. At least one club for me.

I went from blades and the feel is great on the i20s. The forgiveness is huge in the i20s--saved my skin many times.

I want to make the switch from my AP1s. Everyone says they feel great, but does that mean they punish you on mishits like a forged iron? I need some forgiveness and don't my hands to take a beating.

If you mishit WAY out on the toe, and I mean WAY out on the toe, you will feel it but not harsh, just know where you hit it, and you will see less distance, but will not be that far off...

these are a very forgiving club for a "players" club...I did not switch from AP1's but hit them side by side in my selection process...as I was convinced I wanted AP1's...these felt better, on pure hits and on off center hits both toe and heel...

if you have a good fitter with a Ping cart, have them make one up for you to hit for a few days...our golf shop (mitchell golf) will make the club up for you, and let you check it out to go play it on course or range...

I went to St. Andrews in West Chicago today and I demoed the i20s at the driving range, as well as the G25, AP1 and AP2 today and the i20 killed. How great to be able to try clubs out on grass tees!! The feel on well struck shots was as good (at least to me) as the forged AP2 and felt better than the G25 and AP1. To tell the truth, I didn't care much for the G25 in comparison. The i20 and G25 had the CFS stiff shaft and the flight was a bit on the high side ( I hit the ball high with my R9s anyways) I think if like to try them with other shafts to see if I could get the flight down a bit.
The Pings were a club to a club and a half longer than the Titleist clubs. Dispersion with the Pings and the AP1s were comparable. I thought I had come to a decision. Then the club pro says, "our Ping rep was in today with the i25s. Wait!" Dang!!!!!

... "our Ping rep was in today with the i25s. Wait!" Dang!!!!!

I think I would have demanded to, at the very lease, see them...

He was gone by the time I got there. All I got was a report on the looks.

He was gone by the time I got there. All I got was a report on the looks.

Then that is a Dang!!!!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Months ago I hit a buddies I 20'S , even though they were plus 1 inch and about a good half inch longer than my preferred playing length spec I knew it would just be a matter of time before joined the I 20 club. Finally a couple of days ago I purchased a mini set of I 20'S (6-PW) , PROJECT X 5.5, yellow dot 1.5 upright, for okay price of $269 on ebay. At age 68 the 5.5 flex is a good choice for me. My backup set was callaway fusion irons, sold those and got the I 20'S. I don't really need them but I am hooked on ping irons and will enjoy having 2 sets of their great irons. Should get those kick ass pings in a couple days, anxious to try them. My #1 set is the original ping raptures, they don't have the best look to some but give me really great performance. I don't envision the I20's performing significantly better than my raptures but time will tell on that. Thinking worst case is they will perform as well as my raptures, and I like options. Even if the I 20'S become my #1 gamers still will have my rapture 5 iron and at times 4 iron in the bag.

I have a bending machine, the only complaint I have about ping irons is they are difficult to bend and breaking the hosel is always a possibility. I typically strengthen the lofts a degree or so on the PW thru 7 IRON, but on the I 20'S will tweak those lofts a little less. Have not refreshed my memory but fairly certain Ping went with 17-4 steel in the I 20 irons.

I have hit the G15's on multiple occasions. Never owned them though. I'd say that forgiveness wise they are on fairly even ground. The i20's "feel" softer to me and they do a bit better job flighting and moving the ball.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Hit my I 20'S first time yesterday. Grips were to small but removed them last nite, 41/2 wraps masking tape build up applied, and the black widow grips put back on. The irons were in like new condition, was strange to me that prior owner must have removed the ping labeled grips and put on the cheaper black widow grips.
The irons felt great, my mishit is just slightly to the toe side of center so for me all irons seem forgiving enough. For me these irons are as forgiving as my original ping raptures. One thing that was really impressive was their accuracy and how easy it was to flight the ball on a lower trajectory on command. For me the yardages are a little shorter than my gamer ping raptures but nothing major. The nice high trajectory is about the same as the raptures. The I 20 PW is about 8 plus yards shorter than the rapture pw, this was a concern. At the end of my 110 ball session I went back to the PW same yardages, then I hit a few balls with my PING G5 GAP WEDGE and it is worst case same yardage as I20 pw but usually 4 yards longer than I 20 PW.

The I 20 PING IS A GREAT CLUB, I am not really surprised that the yardages are a little less than my rapture irons but was thinking the distances would be the same. It is early, nothing negative about these irons. I will tweak the loft on the pw if deemed necessary, but for now when gaming the I 20'S, bagging my G 5 gap wedge would be a useless duplication of the PW.

Uman I lost a little distance at first with the i20s compared to my old CG16s but I'm now playing to the same yardages.

Love these clubs still. Gonna try and get some range time in with the long irons this week.

Uman I lost a little distance at first with the i20s compared to my old CG16s but I'm now playing to the same yardages.

Love these clubs still. Gonna try and get some range time in with the long irons this week.

Same for me, the first time I hit them the grips had no build up whatsoever, I hit them well but immediately re installed those grips with my usual 41/2 wraps 2 inch masking tape. After Session 2 at the range with the I 20's once again hit them really well. Today was the 3rd time I hit them , these irons are excellent.
The distances are the same maybe even a couple of yards longer than my beloved Ping raptures. The PW is still a few shorter but only about 5 yards, but the accuracy is excellent.

Today since I was hitting these super, at the end I decided to try and hit intentional fades with the 6 and 7 iron. I have kind of lost my way on that shot and do not trust it with my raptures and the fade action with the raptures is not a power fade. Not so with the I 20'S, nice distance, easy to hit intentional fades, really impressed by that.

Any one who likes a iron that can deliver very high and deep shots, or easily control the trajectory a little lower when needed, or hit a nice controlled draw or even a fade with a nice amount of distance will be impressed with the I 20'S. For some time I have believed Ping to have the best irons, the I20's re enforce that opinion.

I went to the local golf shop today to hit as many irons as possible. I set out to hit every game improvement iron I could think of.

Ping G15/20, Cally X Hot, Cleveland 588 MT, Amp Cells, etc.. Etc.. Didn't love any of them, so was disappointed. Took a look at a set of i20s but didn't wanna spend quite that much.

Oh heck, go hit them... Grabbed the 7 iron and taped it up.. First ball.. Smack right down the middle with a great feel. Second ball, nice little baby fade, 170 yards and felt great. Thought it was just great swings..

Grabbed the 4 iron... Lined up and smack down the middle.. 195 yards. I am thinking, this game is TOO easy but the shaft feels a little stiff. They didn't have any regular flex shafts on the shelf.

Walked to the used rack and there they were... Ping i20s with regular flex shafts.. I am in heaven. Look at the clubs and they couldn't have even saw a course. They were beyond mint. Grabbed the 3,4,6 and 7 iron and off to the launch monitor. To make a long story short, this is my holy grail of clubs. These things feel amazing.

My iron search is over and I honestly think I found the perfect club.

Last edited:
Really considering picking up the "U" wedge. People seem to rave about that thing.

If anyone wants to trade their U wedge for a 3 iron... Feel free to PM Me.

Last edited:
I went to the local golf shop today to hit as many irons as possible. I set out to hit every game improvement iron I could think of.

Ping G15/20, Cally X Hot, Cleveland 588 MT, Amp Cells, etc.. Etc.. Didn't love any of them, so was disappointed. Took a look at a set of i20s but didn't wanna spend quite that much.

Oh heck, go hit them... Grabbed the 7 iron and taped it up.. First ball.. Smack right down the middle with a great feel. Second ball, nice little baby fade, 170 yards and felt great. Thought it was just great swings..

Grabbed the 4 iron... Lined up and smack down the middle.. 195 yards. I am thinking, this game is TOO easy but the shaft feels a little stiff. They didn't have any regular flex shafts on the shelf.

Walked to the used rack and there they were... Ping i20s with regular flex shafts.. I am in heaven. Look at the clubs and they couldn't have even saw a course. They were beyond mint. Grabbed the 3,4,6 and 7 iron and off to the launch monitor. To make a long story short, this is my holy grail of clubs. These things feel amazing.

My iron search is over and I honestly think I found the perfect club.

Very cool bro. This iron is on my short list too for next year. I need to hit them

Really considering picking up the "U" wedge. People seem to rave about that thing.

If anyone wants to trade their U wedge for a 3 iron... Feel free to PM Me.
I have 3-sw in I-20's. Did not get the u wedge and sw to begin with. Loved my irons from the get go so went ahead and got the u wedge with the same specs. Love the uwedge so much decided to get the sw with matching specs as well. Love them. I am not going to get matching lob wedge. I do hit flops and such with my my lob and dont think I would be able to do that with the I-20 lob wedge like I can my current ping pro style lob wedge. Just my two cents worth. They are great irons. Took me forever to do, but went and got fit last summer and liked the pings better than anything else. Very happy with them.

I love the UW. It's my 105-115 club, and I am so comfortable with it chipping to. I'm thinking about the SW, but my 58 ATV is staying as the lob.

Back