Ping G700 VS Ping G425 IRONS

Brucem609

Rum Afficianado
Reaction score
Handicap
Good day all my fellow THP’ers.
I am in the middle of a quandary. I am tempted by some good pricing I have seen at my local store and I am fully interested.
I am contemplating some “newer” irons.

Current gamers are 2016 Ping G irons with Recoil Smacwrap F3 shafts. I do like my irons, but have lost a few yards in recent years. Haven’t we all

I am looking at 2 different sets and will move my shafts over so that’s not really an issue. I prefer the graphite due to arm injury and age.

Ping G700 which as you may know are the hollow body, what are considered the SGI irons. Great reviews, extra distance, stronger lofts than my current irons.

Ping G425 which are the newest in the Ping lineup “that I would be interested in” they also have stronger lofts than my current gamers.

asking the audience, thoughts and observations you may have on both.

obviously I want to go hit them both, and will try that in the next few days, but looking anything people may have on these irons
Thanks in advance!

425’s are rock solid as always, but, are they worth the jump from what you could save on 410’s? Debatable.

Im one who was thoroughly unimpressed with the 700’s though. They’re harsh, and didn’t do anything for me the 400-series don’t do.

425’s are rock solid as always, but, are they worth the jump from what you could save on 410’s? Debatable.

Im one who was thoroughly unimpressed with the 700’s though. They’re harsh, and didn’t do anything for me the 400-series don’t do.
@Jman Thanks so much for your opinion. It really helps. I have read about the sound and lack of feel. I do play the Glide 2.0 wedges and enjoy that feel and I would hate to miss that in the irons.
And quite frankly, the sets I am looking at, the 425 are a bit cheaper!
You are helping me ….
Any other thoughts?

@Jman Thanks so much for your opinion. It really helps. I have read about the sound and lack of feel. I do play the Glide 2.0 wedges and enjoy that feel and I would hate to miss that in the irons.
And quite frankly, the sets I am looking at, the 425 are a bit cheaper!
You are helping me ….
Any other thoughts?
Nah, other than the G series (400 series at least) is always a damn good iron that will last forever if you want them to!

I haven't played or tried G700, but I am gaming G425s now.
When I was fitted, they won hands down on dispersion. High ball trajectory too, which helped stopping power.
Now, the sound and feel are only ok. But they work very well for me.

Can't compare to earlier G.

Well I had the G700 Pings for a few months and for what it is worth they were okay but not that impressive. They had a feel that was on the harsh side . Distance for me was just okay . If you are looking at 425 410 or even the 400 I feel they would perform better for you than the 700

I had G700s for a while and couldn't get over the sound, feel and offset.

Equalised for loft, I didn't find them any longer than what I was playing, or am playing now.

So of the two I would go G425.

Thank you all
I have a fitting this Monday.
Am hoping the 425 are where I am heading

like @Jman said its tough to go wrong with any of the Ping G series irons.
When the G700s came out, I did a fitting. At the time I was playing the Cleveland Altitude irons. I carried that 7i 145 yds.
The G700 7i carried 150, G400 145 and the i200 140. The i200 was all over the center line but I dismissed it because at the time I didn't think I had the game for that size iron. Also didn't want to lose distance.
I got bit by the distance bug and went with the G700's. I gamed them for 1.5 seasons. To be fair, they were a nice set of irons but I had issues stopping the 6i (at the time was a very low spin, low ball hitter). I actually went back to my Altitude irons that year then sold those to go with the Cobra T-rail irons. Very nice set but the black finish started to wear and it began to bug me. I like my clubs to look nice, lol
I stumbled onto a used set of Power spec'd i200s and those kicked the Cobras out of the bag and have been playing them since. Had I just adopted them at my 2017 fitting I don't think I would have been on the iron carousel. :)

I do have a Ping G 2016 6i iron that I keep around to try. It's an ok iron..it goes about a 1/2 club longer than my i200 6i, but its all about what you need? I would give up 5yds for the stopping power of my i200s.
I think if one is a high spin player, the hollow body low spin nature of the G700/710 might help somebody gain a bit of yardage. I think the G4xx line has started to catch the G7xx line though especially in distance. Both are spec'd nearly the same (loft and length) so it all comes down to launch and spin needs and what fits you best.

One thing of note is, if you look at the Maltby info...not his MPF rating, but more his vertical center of gravity, with each iteration of G irons they keep moving the vcog higher and higher in the iron face. Not a bad or good thing, just depends on what each person needs.

I haven't played or tried G700, but I am gaming G425s now.
When I was fitted, they won hands down on dispersion. High ball trajectory too, which helped stopping power.
Now, the sound and feel are only ok. But they work very well for me.

Can't compare to earlier G.

Nice bag setup by the way.

Well just back from my fitting.
I am sore. Hit about 150 balls, 14 different iron combos. Different heads, different shafts.
I am a high ball hitter AVG 86 feet, spin between 5435-5642 Good smash factor, AVG 1.37, he said a great angle of descent 45*-47*.

The G425 just didn’t fit me well. Bad numbers and couldn’t find a shaft that could provide consistency.

The G410 I had the best numbers with. Had some ball speeds close to 110, and carry distances around 154.

The I210’s felt amazing! So smooth! The distance was shorter than any. My carry was 6-8 yards less. The fitter said he could bend them to a “power spec” loft which will help me attain the distance. I was still hitting it high enough, 86’ AVG. and spin was 5612. The most amazing was I was 1.2’ AVG off line. AND they felt amazing!
I like shiny and new, but the I210 are so amazing.

He did say, Ping had some clubs coming in January, something between the I59 (hit them-Nah nit my bag) and the I210. They should be Not as expensive as the I59, so, do I wait for them?????

thoughts???

Well just back from my fitting.
I am sore. Hit about 150 balls, 14 different iron combos. Different heads, different shafts.
I am a high ball hitter AVG 86 feet, spin between 5435-5642 Good smash factor, AVG 1.37, he said a great angle of descent 45*-47*.

The G425 just didn’t fit me well. Bad numbers and couldn’t find a shaft that could provide consistency.

The G410 I had the best numbers with. Had some ball speeds close to 110, and carry distances around 154.

The I210’s felt amazing! So smooth! The distance was shorter than any. My carry was 6-8 yards less. The fitter said he could bend them to a “power spec” loft which will help me attain the distance. I was still hitting it high enough, 86’ AVG. and spin was 5612. The most amazing was I was 1.2’ AVG off line. AND they felt amazing!
I like shiny and new, but the I210 are so amazing.

He did say, Ping had some clubs coming in January, something between the I59 (hit them-Nah nit my bag) and the I210. They should be Not as expensive as the I59, so, do I wait for them?????

thoughts???
Yeah I believe the i525’s are due out in Jan/Feb and the i230 later in the year. It’s a bummer ping won’t take more orders on the i210’s. Surprised your fitter still let you hit them. From what I’ve been told they were supposed to pull them from fitting carts.

I played G710s last two seasons. Liked them didn’t love them—Got a deal on a misordered set of G425s from my pro shop. Same specs. Took them right out of the box and bagged them for a round. Was worried about the smaller heads. Never looked back. Love the smaller head and top line at address. Like the feel and feedback that I never got from 710s. Spin rate is a little lower and flight is a bit lower (mine is high) so bringing it down is a plus. The black was cool at the beginning but I’m glad I am back traditional.

Back