PING G430 MAX 10K Driver Preview

The stock alta shaft doesn't do the head justice IMO. The head launches the ball high already and most will need a lower spin shaft.
Yet the stock Alta pairing will outsell the rest combined.

True. As will the stock pairing for any club release compared to the other no upcharge options. It’s why they choose it in the first place, to hit the largest portion of the bell curve.

Well, it’s a sizable part of why they choose it at least. Hahaha

The Alta’s have always been boom or bust with me for some reason. Hated it in the G30 and G430 line. Loved it in the G400 line. Was lukewarm in the G410.

In fairness, the G430 was the fairway and hybrid. Had such high hopes for both after loving the driver (with a different shaft). Ended up getting the 430 with a different shaft and loving. So wanted to love the hybrid, but didn’t.

The Alta’s have always been boom or bust with me for some reason. Hated it in the G30 and G430 line. Loved it in the G400 line. Was lukewarm in the G410.

In fairness, the G430 was the fairway and hybrid. Had such high hopes for both after loving the driver (with a different shaft). Ended up getting the 430 with a different shaft and loving. So wanted to love the hybrid, but didn’t.
It is for a many. And the build matters. Ping is pretty specific about different stock lengths for their different shafts and the swing weights between them all.

It is for a many. And the build matters. Ping is pretty specific about different stock lengths for their different shafts and the swing weights between them all.
That’s a great point. The Alta’s are usually a half inch longer. That long a driver has always been a challenge even though the counterweight shaft is supposed to make it more playable.

DSC02424.JPG

DSC02430.JPG
DSC02434.JPG

DSC02436.JPG

10k baby

Not a bad look eh @ddec

The turbulators are always a bit jarring to see but it gives it kinda a mean look.

Not a bad look eh @ddec
your pics look pretty pretty pretty good. The one time I saw it in hand, I didn't care as much for the shape.

I'm playing my 9* with a tz6 shaft seems to be a max carry set up. I put a ping tip on my rogue silver so it should be good for dryer conditions.

The turbulators are always a bit jarring to see but it gives it kinda a mean look.
It took me a minute to acclimate to them again, it’s been a while since I had to stare at them for prolonged periods of time and not just in a bay or quick testing hahaha

Hmmm.

Many thoughts matriculating through my head after the first session on the ST+ for data collection.

Its faster than the Qi Max....by a lot....for me. I don't have to WORK to swing it fast like I am experiencing with that head. That said, I also don't think it is as easy to hit straight as the Qi Max, BUT, this does spin less, about 450 RPM less on average. The high spin numbers here are where the low spin numbers for that head are for me, which is wild in the way that as has been talked about in here a lot and by most YT reviewers, the 430 Max 10K is surprisingly lower spinning.

Averages for me are still at 2868 in a 20 shot session, but the high spin was 3298 with the low being 2582. That is pretty damn impressive in terms of spin retention and robustness working across the face, as I was NOT living in the middle today.

It is a bigger head so my top end SS is a little lower than with my gamers, but I expected that, still settled in around 110 on average today, I had to work HARD to get the Qi Max to even hit 109 one single time.

Definitely makes me curious for the 9.0 head versus this 10.5, but that isn't the current review/test in front of me!

Lots of positivity from this one so far for me, which, contrary to what many tend to think, I expected.

Hmmm.

Many thoughts matriculating through my head after the first session on the ST+ for data collection.

Its faster than the Qi Max....by a lot....for me. I don't have to WORK to swing it fast like I am experiencing with that head. That said, I also don't think it is as easy to hit straight as the Qi Max, BUT, this does spin less, about 450 RPM less on average. The high spin numbers here are where the low spin numbers for that head are for me, which is wild in the way that as has been talked about in here a lot and by most YT reviewers, the 430 Max 10K is surprisingly lower spinning.

Averages for me are still at 2868 in a 20 shot session, but the high spin was 3298 with the low being 2582. That is pretty damn impressive in terms of spin retention and robustness working across the face, as I was NOT living in the middle today.

It is a bigger head so my top end SS is a little lower than with my gamers, but I expected that, still settled in around 110 on average today, I had to work HARD to get the Qi Max to even hit 109 one single time.

Definitely makes me curious for the 9.0 head versus this 10.5, but that isn't the current review/test in front of me!

Lots of positivity from this one so far for me, which, contrary to what many tend to think, I expected.
I'm surprised that you are playing the 10.5. I have the 9*. I think I should have asked Ping if they could find me an 8*, but again I don't like waiting for custom orders.

I'm surprised that you are playing the 10.5. I have the 9*. I think I should have asked Ping if they could find me an 8*, but again I don't like waiting for custom orders.
We review what gets sent to us from companies, it’s that way across all brands. Honestly, it’s not that big of a deal. For me, a review isn’t about if it fits me, it’s about does it do what it claims, and even in a club that isn’t the best fit I can still see the performance traits and capabilities of the product at hand, if that makes sense?

Besides that, the numbers I’m seeing with the 10.5 head are so far pretty good on a personal level, and, it’s been fun to hit in general.

Hmmm.

Great info. I wouldn't mind giving this one a swing.

Data collection is complete on this one, and I played it on the course to get my thoughts gathered so it'll go to paper/type this weekend.

For grins, I turned it down to 9.0 and got some data there too. That was pretty fun.

This, is still a very confusing release for PING in my opinion, that will never change, but, its also a fun release.

AND before someone asks, YES, the sound is LIGHTYEARS better, even in the #GarageSim, but it is still unmistakably a PING driver sound.

Back