Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

Gave the G20 a spin at the range last night, since I've read some interesting stuff on here about it. Picked up the non-tour shaft in S flex, 10.5 degree.

Wow, it does launch high, even for me. I must say, this driver feels nice. I've tested out a lot of drivers this year and I'm just about saying that this is the best I've tried so far. It's that good. The forgiveness is awesome. Everything I hit seemed to be pretty much down the middle. I'm not sure if it flew any further, but it launched high and certainly got out there for me. Going against everything else I've been thinking recently, I'd like to try the lower launching shaft to see if it really does rocket.

This driver has me pondering, even at the end of the season!

Thanks for the info Paulo. This driver has peaked my interest as well. Would love to try this with the C Kua shaft I have in my 3W!

Over the weekend I got to put the G2O Hanks has for testing into play and even with a stiff shaft and 9.5 degree loft (my fit is regular/12 deg) I was bombing this driver down the fairway nice and straight.

As soon as I get moved into my new home, this thing is going in my bag

Over the weekend I got to put the G2O Hanks has for testing into play and even with a stiff shaft and 9.5 degree loft (my fit is regular/12 deg) I was bombing this driver down the fairway nice and straight.

NICE MaryC! Good to hear! I'd like to hear how it compares to your G10 when you give it a test drive (pun intended)

The playing cost of this game is too high a average can't play the game if he have no high amount of the money.
In this situation what do you suggest?

Last edited:
Is this in the bag yet man?

Gave the G20 a spin at the range last night, since I've read some interesting stuff on here about it. Picked up the non-tour shaft in S flex, 10.5 degree.

Wow, it does launch high, even for me. I must say, this driver feels nice. I've tested out a lot of drivers this year and I'm just about saying that this is the best I've tried so far. It's that good. The forgiveness is awesome. Everything I hit seemed to be pretty much down the middle. I'm not sure if it flew any further, but it launched high and certainly got out there for me. Going against everything else I've been thinking recently, I'd like to try the lower launching shaft to see if it really does rocket.

This driver has me pondering, even at the end of the season!

Same for you Mary....you've moved....has the G20 moved into your bag yet?

Unusually...no! I've got a long ponderation time on my driver this winter I think. Can't quite decide yet whether to bag this, or change the shaft out on my R9 and give that a shot....or perhaps both?
I'm thinking I might try out the G20 with the tour shaft, see how the launch on that works for my game. It's still sitting at the back of my mind and it won't go away though!

Same for you Mary....you've moved....has the G20 moved into your bag yet?

Actually I move this weekend so not yet BUT you can bet in 2 weeks for the 2nd arse whuppin KB &I put on Ole Gray it will be!

Will post picts as soon as I get it.

My First Ever Review on THP.(Ping G20 Driver on a (S) Fujikura Rombax 5X07 )

My First Ever Review on THP.(Ping G20 Driver on a (S) Fujikura Rombax 5X07 )

Hey folks,

I know that there have been lots of review for the G20 but can't seem to find the thread for it... Hence , here it goes ........... I have decided to start a new thread for my first ever review on the same....

A little bit about my physique- I'm 5'11, 190 Lbs

My average driver SS -> 95-97 mph.

My Current Set-up---> Ping G20, 9.5, Fujikura Rombax 5X07 (S)
Old Driver ------------> Ping G15, Aldila DVS (S)

Figured that since I just fitted the new shaft I was bent for a test round in a local club, which is 10min away from my home. Its a pretty short and narrow course as well since its been around from the 1930s and nothing much has changed from then.

To add objectivity into the assessment, I brought along my Bushnell Tour V2 to get a more accurate distance.

Hole 3 , Par 4, 279m (305 yds) - 234m (255 yards) drive on level fairway, with 45m approach shot. Ball flight, mid high with a slight draw. Made par

Hole 6 , Par 4, 249m (272 yds) - From the tee, reached the green in one and ball rolled to back of green. Chip back as it was red pin. Ball flight mid high with a slight draw. Made par

Hole 7, Par 4, 358m (391yds) - From elevated tee box - 2nd Approach shot to green about 118 m. Abt 240 m (262yds) drive but since tee box was severely elevated, I must have had at least 20yards advantage from the tee. Ball flight draw. 3 putted and made bogey

Hole 8, Par 4, 335m (366yds) - from elevated tee box -Hit a blocked shot and pushed my 1st drive right OB. Hit my provisional ball. Approach shot with pro ball l at 100m (109yds) . Abt 235m (256yds) drive but since elevated, again, I had at least 20m advantage from tee. Ball flight straight. Made double bogey.

Hole 9, Par 4, 289m (316yds) - slightly elevated fairway- 2nd approach shot to green 57m. Abt 232m (254yds) drive. Ball flight draw. Messed up my approach shot and made double bogey.

I played the back nine pretty much the same (FYI, the club plays 2 x 9 holes) , except that I rolled to back of the bunker on the hole no. 6 instead of getting it directly from tee too green.

I wasn't taking any notes for the back 9, hence officially the drive off hole no. 3, at 234m (255yards) was the furthest, at the same time was the fairest assessment due to its level elevation between tee box and fairway. I was hitting the the rest of my drive rolling in between 215-230m . Only had 1 drive from the tee went OB from the total of 10 drives (teed up with the driver) I hit today.

Before changing the shaft to the current Rombax, I was struggling to find the kick point or whip on the stock SR TFC shaft. I found the TFC stock shaft very whippy after only 7-9 games and getting frustrated with my drive. In a nutshell, the stock shaft didn't work for me. I was starting to have negative thoughts creeping and almost regretted why did I sell my G15 away which was working pretty well for me.

After today's game, I have started to realize the potential of G20 with the rombax. Its such a lethal combination (for me the least). Dispersion is tight. You can just whip it anyway you want.. and the ball flies hot off the face....... even with toe and heel mishits but the distance penalised from mishits are only about 20yards or so. I can still live with that.

Huge slices are almost a thing of the past now. Any mistakes made are typically a hook to the right when I start getting too handsy... Again, i can live with a bit of hook.. but huge slices are just a pain to watch. Its like a slow and painful death...

A set up which is able to juice up an increased distance will be a huge bonus for me, but on most courses that I play, 225-235m off the tee is more than I need, hence getting a better dispersion is my ultimate goal....

Comparison of results (G20 against G15)

Distance Gained - Negligible
Dispersion Gained - Better with G20 (9/10 fairways on the G20 has never been achieved with the G15. At most I ever got was 6-7/10 from the G15)
Feel /Sound : G15 had a better feel and sound (Really miss the sound of the G15 when hit sweet, G20 sounds like a tin can)
Forgiveness -Better with G20 (100% better!!)
Ball flight - G20 and G15 - Mid high launch (but I believe this is more due to the shaft rather than head itself)

The G20 impressed me in two departments, dispersion and forgiveness... For a high handicapper like myself, I need the improved dispersion to boost the confidence off tee...

At the same time , I have to mention also true value of good coaching. I had decided to invest in lessons with a local club pro and is starting to bear fruits. I used to have jitters at the tee box with the big stick, but after getting a more predictable and consistent ball flight (slight draw) thus giving me more confidence from the tee.

As and when, i will be posting more reviews of my future games .. so if you're looking out for the G20 you may wanna consider a good fitting unlike myself and ended up struggling the wrong shaft... Would also love to hear more hackers sharing their reviews of this awesome stick...

And if you have a different shaft combo with the head.. do share pls... love to hear them...esp if they are on fubukis, GD Tour ADs, ATTAS , UST Axivcore etc...
In summary, G20 ROCKS!!!... but now gotta work harder to earn more money from all I have spent...shucks..

Last edited:
This is really great! I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.

This is really great! I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.

Thanks ratfink for the kind words..will definitely pose another one when time permits for another round...cheers..

Nice review! I actually thought the counter weighted stock shaft was great and made swinging the club really really smooth with my 85mph swing. I guess that just re-enforces your point about proper fitting. Like you I thought it was a better club than the G15 in most respects, which is quite an achievement.

How are you adjusting to the sound? It's quite loud for a Ping.

Nice review Begbie! Cool to hear that you found a solid combo with the Rombax shaft - look forward to reading more of your feedback; nice job.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Thanks for posting your thoughts Begbie, very good initial review and great results with the big stick. Looking forward to reading about your progress with this club.

Glad you are enjoying the G20. PING makes great clubs. Nice write up too!

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Great review, thanks for sharing.

Good Job !! Informative, thanks for sharing !

hey mod.. thanks for the move.. :)

As promised, a short review of the next game I had with my G20. Sorry for the short write up as I'm pretty boxed up with work tonight, so a quick summary for now..

Had another game in the venue of last week's Iskandar Johore Open (http://iskandarjohoropen.com/)where Joost Luiten won his one and only European tour sanctioned event this year. Padraig Harrington won the tournament last year.

Check out the website for the golf course and its layout..... http://www.hhgcc.com.my/course_layout.html

Had 5 errant drives which cost me double bogey or more. The rest of my drives with this Rombax & G20 combo went well straight. Played my best score of 96 today for the course.

This course calls for many risks and rewards and if you notice the layout there are lots of water.. and its a gorgeous course.. with a green of stimp 10.5, its pretty fast and greens were in superb condition.

Here are my stats for the game today.

Average drive today : 225m.
Fairways hit : 9/14
Ball flight : Mid-high, draw.

The slices are the ones which went to the OB and water on the right, had two slices altogether.

So I guess I still could slice with a bad swing...lol... but overall, the game's pretty good.. and I won a few bucks from my mates... still loving the G20.... Superb...

Well the honeymoon period is certainly over for me and the G20. I have gone back to my R9 460 with regular shaft. The driver head/shaft is really puzzling to me. I hit a few clubs on a launch monitor and I am not sure if it was the salesman selling it to me or me wanting it but I thought that an 8.5 loft with tour stiff shaft was the right choice for me, with a swing speed of 102-105 and me playing off ~13. But I just can't swing it consistently.

I have had rounds where I have not hit a single fairway. I will go snap hook, slice, duff, 280 straight down the centre, hook, it is just difficult to hit. I think it is a combination of being a relatively heavy combination of shaft/head and also the long shaft. I'm not a very big guy, 160lb and 6 foot and it just feels like I am never in total control of the head and have to manipulate the club around impact to get the face square. I didn't hit my R9 since I got the G20 and I took it out the other day and hit 4/7 fairways in the 9 holes I played and shot 40. Managing to hit a couple of nice draws to around 250-270 yards right slap in the centre of the fairway. Yeah it might launch a touch high but for the moment I think it will try get my confidence back with the R9 and maybe have a look at throwing in a stiff shaft if I can find one.

It's a real shame cause I love the look of the head, it just sets up so nice and when you get one in the middle it is amazing. I might have to try the head with some different shafts, but even then I think 8.5 loft isn't right for me. Specially since I am still taking lessons and improving my swing.

I was really happy with this driver. I thought that the head was super forgiving and packed a ton of punch. I am curious if a different shaft would give me better results though. Either that or I could learn how to swing a golf club properly.

I was really happy with this driver. I thought that the head was super forgiving and packed a ton of punch. I am curious if a different shaft would give me better results though. Either that or I could learn how to swing a golf club properly.
Yeah I think probably my recommendation is to make sure you get fit by someone you trust (and not a salesman that wants a quick sale) and are 100% sure of the specs of the driver before you drop a big chunk of $$ on it.

It's my best club in my bag. I hit fairways about 4 out of 5 times and when I miss it's for a stupid reason. I'm 5'8" and I choke up on it a little bit. I was fitted for it and the club fitter guy said if I reshafted (and I didn't need to), not to go longer than 45".

I am demoing this club with the X-flex Tour D shaft. I hit both the 8.5 and 9.5 heads today, I am leaning towards the 9.5. Going below that is just intimidating for me.

Back