Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

***skim alert!!***

I have been hearing so much good things about this driver from a GI point of view. Has anyone tried it with either the Shotmaker or Nunchuck shaft? A super forgiving, fairway-finding, bomb launcher sounds good to me!

Its worked so well for me up to this point I dont think Id change it.

found this little nugget in the interwebz....

'...there are spots on the face and crown of the K15 where the thickness is no thicker than 2 business cards put together.....

that compared the variable thickness face of the G20 would explain the difference in sound and feeling to me

Here's what Ping has to say about the G20's face:

I don't see anything about the thickness of the face on their description of the K15. I think the major changes are in weight distribution.

How about they are both great drivers? The K15 to straighten out the fader/slicer mid handicapper and the G20 for the low handicapper?
Love my Pings and the sound of my K15 driver!

How about they are both great drivers? The K15 to straighten out the fader/slicer mid handicapper and the G20 for the low handicapper?
Love my Pings and the sound of my K15 driver!

I've found the G20 to be more then forgiving. I think it caters to a much more broader scale of golfers then the low cappers.

Saw this in GG today, but didn't hit it. Their sim is messed up at the moment and registers 1 of 4 shots. Seemingly only the bad ones too hehe
I like the look of it. The driver head looks huge, almost like you can't miss with it.

Saw this in GG today, but didn't hit it. Their sim is messed up at the moment and registers 1 of 4 shots. Seemingly only the bad ones too hehe
I like the look of it. The driver head looks huge, almost like you can't miss with it.

That's kind of how I've felt hitting it so far.

Played in my typical Wednesday foursome tonight. One the gals works in the pro shop at a local muni had the G20 (10.5/stock Reg 45" shaft) in her bag. I told her I was about "this close" to pulling the trigger on it but have been hitting my G10 so well that I was a bit cautious about switching out. She let me hit it a few holes and on two holes I hit two balls, one with my G10 and with my G20. There is a DEFINITE sound difference (and since audio is my job, I can tell you it is a big sound difference between the G10 and the G20) When I got ahold of the whole ball with the G20 it had a soft muted "THAWK" versus the crisp, clear "ZING" of the G10. I actually have to say I like the sound of the G10 better.

But, the G20 gave me about 10 more yards than the G10 and that was even with a loft that really doesn't suit my game. She told me to come down to her shop and she'd let me take it out for a full 18. Going to take her up on that this weekend.

If everything goes well with that 18, don't be surprised to see my sig change by the end of next week...

Good stuff Mary - 10 yards gained on one that is not even fit to you is impressive! I agree about the sound and "thwack" is a good description of it....not tingy at all. Looking forward to hearing your results if you are actually fitted to it.

Tappin' from my iPad!

hit it man.... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't think the head is overly huge and to me it makes me focus on hitting through the ball more for some reason

that's great Mary! just go buy it already as its sounds like you have found a new driver for yourself.

Played in my typical Wednesday foursome tonight. One the gals works in the pro shop at a local muni had the G20 (10.5/stock Reg 45" shaft) in her bag. I told her I was about "this close" to pulling the trigger on it but have been hitting my G10 so well that I was a bit cautious about switching out. She let me hit it a few holes and on two holes I hit two balls, one with my G10 and with my G20. There is a DEFINITE sound difference (and since audio is my job, I can tell you it is a big sound difference between the G10 and the G20) When I got ahold of the whole ball with the G20 it had a soft muted "THAWK" versus the crisp, clear "ZING" of the G10. I actually have to say I like the sound of the G10 better.

But, the G20 gave me about 10 more yards than the G10 and that was even with a loft that really doesn't suit my game. She told me to come down to her shop and she'd let me take it out for a full 18. Going to take her up on that this weekend.

If everything goes well with that 18, don't be surprised to see my sig change by the end of next week...

Solid gains there Mary. I think your description of sound is pretty darn close too. But I won the race to the G20 as its already in my bag haha. And its been great so far.

Solid gains there Mary. I think your description of sound is pretty darn close too. But I won the race to the G20 as its already in my bag haha. And its been great so far.

I bow down to the superior OEMer.... I'm going to make it my "housewarming" gift to myself when I settle either in Atlanta or Orlando in the next 30 days. I can wait (I think) and it will make the packing/unpacking go much faster knowing I can then go pick up the driver!

Hanks, have you seen an improvement in GIR with the G20 since it is keeping you more in the fairway?

Wow, ten yards is awesome. Can't wait to see you hit it at the get together next month :)

tapatalk addict....

Awesome stuff MaryC! I like to read some thoughts that are backed up by data. This G20 is legit. And your post just proves it.

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. No data to back anything up. G20 is the greatest driver in the history of drivers. I'm gonna bag one now.

Yes and no. I've noticed in the brief time I've had with it on the course that I've hit more fairways or haven't missed as bad as I can with the K15 so I'm at least set up for more potential GIR's. Sometimes I put too much pressure on myself to execute my second or third shot into the green and flub the crap out of it, destroying my GIR chance but no fault of the G20's. So far this at least puts me in the fairway with a chance to get that GIR

I bow down to the superior OEMer.... I'm going to make it my "housewarming" gift to myself when I settle either in Atlanta or Orlando in the next 30 days. I can wait (I think) and it will make the packing/unpacking go much faster knowing I can then go pick up the driver!

Hanks, have you seen an improvement in GIR with the G20 since it is keeping you more in the fairway?

don't hate Yoccos! just like with any club, it works for some and not others and that's ok.

Yeah, I guess I'm wrong. No data to back anything up. G20 is the greatest driver in the history of drivers. I'm gonna bag one now.

I'm not discrediting anything you say, and Mary was merely pointing out the differences between the G10 and G20, for her.

I'm not discrediting anything you say, and Mary was merely pointing out the differences between the G10 and G20, for her.

I know but I'm just Nikegolf'ing at times and I need to stop.

I'm going to give this one another because of how much I liked the G15 and K15. I just like hitting drivers. I'm going to do it without looking for a K15 experience too.

I know but I'm just Nikegolf'ing at times and I need to stop.

I'm going to give this one another because of how much I liked the G15 and K15. I just like hitting drivers. I'm going to do it without looking for a K15 experience too.

I think that's a brilliant idea dude. Try to go about it without trying to compare it to something else. B/c you're right, it's not the K15, it's the G20.

I think that's a brilliant idea dude. Try to go about it without trying to compare it to something else. B/c you're right, it's not the K15, it's the G20.

I could always be like Phil and game two drivers......

I could always be like Phil and game two drivers......

I don't see a problem with that buddy! At least you've hit the thing dude, that's the most important thing.

I don't see a problem with that buddy! At least you've hit the thing dude, that's the most important thing.

Me either! Ill just drop my putter hahaha :)

No really though, I have 2 open face drivers I hit so well, I'm kinda looking for another just to mess around with. I have some issues at times going right. It might lesson the blwo for the week or two I go when I cant control it. I'll about fairways and staying out of trouble nowadays. I think if the G20 proves longer and more forgiving than the G15... I may have to do it.

I don't doubt that it will for you, man. PING took the good qualities of the G15 and K15 and popped out the G20.

No really though, I have 2 open face drivers I hit so well, I'm kinda looking for another just to mess around with. I have some issues at times going right. It might lesson the blwo for the week or two I go when I cant control it. I'll about fairways and staying out of trouble nowadays. I think if the G20 proves longer and more forgiving than the G15... I may have to do it.

There's only really one way to find out bro, and that's by some thorough testing and demo'ing. The G15 was a good driver for me but I think the G20 is better. I think it's a nice blend of G15/K15 but rolled into a nice package.

This thread is making me feel very happy I ordered a G20 driver and 3 wood. Arriving next week hopefully. I keep thinking that going for the tour stiff shafts in both (driver with 8.5) is a bit bold but the numbers on the launch monitor supported this. I currently have a R9 10.5 with regular shaft and it just balloons too high. My SS with driver was between 100-103 although I did manage a few 105-106 and launch angle was around 13-15 degrees. Spin was 2000-3000 iirc. Always feel a bit tentative just buying a club on indoor launch monitor numbers. Will see what happens when I get a chance to hit it out on the course!

Back