Piece Together a Set of Used Clubs for Around $800 or Buy a Set for $800?

Agreed with all the other comments about piecing together a set getting you far more bang for your buck. Plenty of reviews out there on SGI clubs that are a few years old that you can probably pick up pretty inexpensively from reliable sources. Some Cleveland HB Launchers plus Cleveland or Cobra woods, some Cleveland CBX wedges + a putter, add in a nice bag and you're in business.

I'll also echo the comments on Callaway Pre-Owned - I've never had a bad experience buying from there and the quality is always better than noted in the listings. Keep an eye out for upcoming sales if you can wait a few weeks for a set.

New clubs are rather expensive right now. Used clubs are a better value if you have a good source In your area.

Thanks for all the help everyone it’s much appreciated!

Some DTCs can be had on the used market pretty cheap for irons. Just a thought.

:welcome:

You didn't give too much information aside from you don't play that often. Some things that may help us to help you better...

Age range.
Left or right handed.
What your game currently looks like.
What you want your game to be.
How often you play.

What you like about the golf equipment you have experience with.
What you don't like about the golf equipment you have experience with.

It wouldn't make too much sense for us to recommend you spend all your budget on irons when you only play twice per year in company golf outings.

Having said all of that, take a look at Tour Edge. They have a line of Hot Launch clubs that are on par with PING, TaylorMade, Cobra, Callaway, and the rest but their prices are a bit lower.

As @Popeye has mentioned, Maltby heads are just as good as anything out there but they don't have a large price tag.

There's a lot out there but letting us know that you like chrome instead of satin, or copper instead of gunmetal, or black instead of chrome can help us make suggestions to help you.

I think you “can” be happy either way you go.....but, your ultimate satisfaction will come in how much the “golf bug” really bites you... and how much you end up playing. Personally, I think if you really get into it - shopping around for good buys on individual pieces will be more pleasing in the long run. I think if you find yourself getting into golf in a big way - you will eventually move away from the “complete” set - and go with other pieces anyway. I know that you may not be sure if this is gonna be a life changing venture or not - and if you end up just playing once every couple of months or so the complete set may be the deal. Golf grabs some people harder than others.

1) 28.
2) Right handed.
3) Ive golfed a handful of times and really enjoy it. It’s relaxing and the quality time spent with my buddies is fun. I used to always turn them down for fear of not knowing what I was doing and I regret that.
4/5) I want to just get better. I know I’m not going to be great probably ever. I will play roughly 8-10 times a year.

Line 4/5... right there is the reason NOT to drop too much on brand spanking shiny new clubs. If you're only going to play maybe once per month, I'd recommend against spending too much money on new clubs. I'd say find something made within the past 5 years. You're right handed so there's a MUCH greater chance you'll find something that works for you.

Now, if you play once per month and then determine that, it's simply not enough golf, then plan ahead and get those new clubs. Almost everyone here will try their best to help you spend your money.:D

If it's only 1 time per month, look at Tour Edge. They offer clubs that are forgiving and aren't budget busters.
TaylorMade, Callaway, Srixon, Titleist, Ping, them and the rest ALL make good equipment.

If it's more than once per month, then any OEM company should do. Especially if you plan to take lessons and improve a bit.

I was cruising through my local Play It Again Sports and they had 3 current model drivers... PXG 0811, Callaway Epic Speed, and Ping G410 for between $199 and $299. Those are good prices for current clubs. Granted, the other drivers they had were nowhere near current. Or even 10 years old.

But they had iron sets at moderate prices... like a set of TaylorMade Rocketbladez for $399... 4 iron through Pitching Wedge I think. And while the Rocketbladez are a few years old, they're still somewhat current.

For $800, you could get a full set of Maltby clubs that perform really well.

Back