PGA Class A perks

Zenger

Gunga... Gunga Galooga
Reaction score
Handicap
CDGA 1.7
Anyone ever thought about going through the process, paying the dues for the perks ?

Masters tickets for life.

All majors, Ryder Cup tickets, for life.
Complimentary golf or at least cart fee only or
Something at nearly every club, muni, or resort.
Get to put PGA behind your name.
Can qualify yearly for the PGA championship.

Seems pretty awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Isn’t it still nearly a decade of eligible employment for Class A?

Idk all the steps and in correct order but first step is pass the P.A.T. , i think its 155 over 2 rounds on b2b days. Then there are classes and tests and other things that could take years. If you pass all of that then you must be an "apprentice" i believe. I know im missing stuff or have the order wrong but its a lot.

Idk all the steps and in correct order but first step is pass the P.A.T. , i think its 155 over 2 rounds on b2b days. Then there are classes and tests and other things that could take years. If you pass all of that then you must be an "apprentice" i believe. I know im missing stuff or have the order wrong but its a lot.
36 on the same day for the PAT, I believe, and it's +15 over the course rating, and at selected courses on selected dates. And now you can take 4 year college courses to get the education part of it done and then go do the PAT. But you still have to apprentice and do the other stuff like wash carts and the mundane day to day golf operations stuff.

They’ve changed the rules to get in considerably in the last few years.

Pat doesn’t have to be passed before starting phase 2.

They’ve significantly reduced the price of the fees.

They’ve expanded the “types” of career paths. Golf “Media” to club fitting and more.

So free golf, free masters tickets. This pays for itself in like a year or two.

You also give up your amateur status so if you like to play in any am events that is out the window. In addition to the classroom work you need to work in industry for a number of years to get your Class A. It isn't as simple as a bit of classroom work and passing the PAT. Most sub 3 handicap ams with a bit of tournament experience would pass the PAT without much trouble.

I saw more than a handful of guys that went through the PGM program at FSU and never could pass the PAT. Might want to knock that out first before spending a bunch of time and money on classes then go out and throw up a couple scores in the 90s.

I saw more than a handful of guys that went through the PGM program at FSU and never could pass the PAT. Might want to knock that out first before spending a bunch of time and money on classes then go out and throw up a couple scores in the 90s.

Not worried about it. Passed it 2014 but didn’t go thru with program. Have to retake.

When you are playing for your livelihood it can be stressful. Not all people that are trying to get through the PGA program have played competitive golf. It is a help if you have played some as it is very different if you haven't done it.

Not worried about it. Passed it 2014 but didn’t go thru with program. Have to retake.

My use of "you" was a general one, not you specifically.

My use of "you" was a general one, not you specifically.
Its a long time to work in golf for the perks. For the love of the game, education, etc. Sure. But using the Masters tickets as an example, that perk could be yanked at any moment.

Its a long time to work in golf for the perks. For the love of the game, education, etc. Sure. But using the Masters tickets as an example, that perk could be yanked at any moment.
I haven't been golfing all that long relatively, but I've seen club pros put up with a ton of crap from people. It'd take a whole lot more than a couple perks to get me to think about it.

Guess I’m just thinking I could power through it in like 6 months, as they do not have a pacing guide. There are no work requirements regarding length of service any longer.

Guess I’m just thinking I could power through it in like 6 months, as they do not have a pacing guide. There are no work requirements regarding length of service any longer.

If you have to elected, you're not likely to be elected if you didn't pay your dues (meaning length of work put in).

If you have to elected, you're not likely to be elected if you didn't pay your dues (meaning length of work put in).
Depends on who you know.

Back