PGA Best/Worst Dressed

_JL_

Let's Go Pens
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
I was having a discussion in another forum about the best and worst golfers on Tour and it got very interesting, so I thought I'd start one here (forgive me if there is already a topic about this, I searched and couldn't find one).
I just want to know who you think are the best and worst dressed golfers. Obviously I am of the younger, JL type style so high on my list are guys like Camilo and Jesper. I also like anyone else who takes risks and stands out from the crowd. Ian Poulter and Aaron Baddeley come to mind. Even Phil was working some nice pinstriped pants for a couple rounds of the US Open, I'd like to see more of that from the top players. Also, I don't mind a more casual, even "messy" appearance like Fredrik Jacobson, Johan Edfors, or Ryan Moore. If I had to compile a list, it would probably look something like this:
1. Ian Poulter (Can go a little over the top, but his clothes always fit and almost always stand out, usually in a good way.)
2. Jesper Parnevik (Really the first in my generation to go against the crowd with flashy, form-fitting attire. I always wanted to see what he would wear next.)
3. Camilo Villegas (I'll pretend the US Open wardrobe never happened, that was awful.)
4. Geoff Ogilvy (I love the new PUMA stuff, and Geoff wears it well)
5. Aaron Baddeley (Takes chances and he's always aware of how he looks, i.e. shoes always match the belt and hat, etc. Very diverse wardrobe.)

Most people on the other forum absolutely did not agree with me, as they seemed almost appalled that I liked Ian and especially Jesper. Basically two schools of thought formed, the first being the more "classic" style, who favored the can't miss type looks of guys like Tiger and Davis Love. And the second being the "flashy," form-fitting styles of the young guys.

As for my worst-dressed, I would just say anyone who wears khaki pants and a white polo every round. I also don't like clothes that are too big, especially sleeves that come down past the elbows. Also, one of my biggest pet peeves is players who button the top button of their shirts. Guys on my worst dressed list would be Furyk, Stricker, Watson, and, believe it or not, Tiger. He always looks good, but I have never seen him take much of a risk with anything he's worn, and I know he could pull it off.

This discussion could also eventually lead to sub-discussions about things like no-show socks, plaid/argyle, military style hats, white belts, and John Daly, so feel free to delve into any or all of these topics as well.

I think that Poulter does go over the top, but many times his clothes are the nicest out there. Great fit and great quality.

Jesper I just did not care for his look. And the hat was absurd.

Camillo, looked great up until last year. JL is trying too hard.

Ogilvy wears the PUMA stuf great and their lines get better and better.

Badds is okay with the Penguin stuff. Still find it odd that they dress him and yet you cannot buy the pants.

Most of the Nike guys really dress well. Tiger, Stewie, AK, etc...
Sergio usually looks great.
Adam Scott was one of the best out there until Burberry dropped him.

We differ on our point of view of worst dressed a little bit. I do not think you have to take a risk to be a good dresser. it is all about matching your wardrobe to your style and your game. Tiger does that better than anybody. He obviously does not just go with the flow, do you see anybody else wearing mocks?

Some like the Euro look (cut differently) and some do not. I like great colors in my gear, but it does not have to be crazy patterns. That is where JL lost me and where Sligo and PUMA and others take over.

For me top best dressed I would say (this is just off the top of my head)

Stewie Cink
Brian Gay
Poulter
Ogilvy
Immelman
Paul Casey
Sergio

Heck now that I realize it, I could be here a while and better put more thought into this.

Worst dressed is a large list. I will be back with my top 5 soon. But you can bet Ernie Ells will be on there as will some other classic looks. And although Karrie Webb plays for the LPGA and not the PGA, I think she pees standing up and I can guarantee you her style is so bad it runs over to the PGA.

And although Karrie Webb plays for the LPGA and not the PGA, I think she pees standing up and I can guarantee you her style is so bad it runs over to the PGA.

I think I just peed myself reading this.....too funny

I think Tiger needs to be on any best-dressed list. He doesn't wear all that wild carp that like some (especially Poulter!) wears, but he always looks nice. His clothing can be worn anywhere (well, maybe not a construction site!) and no one would be talking about how wild or stupid he looks.

He obviously does not just go with the flow, do you see anybody else wearing mocks?
Another one of my big pet peeves, mock turtlenecks. Fine for a casual weekday round, can't stand them on Tour.

And I forgot to mention Sergio. He looks good when he's wearing black and white, but I don't really like anything else. But I can't stand him altogether, so my judgment may be skewed a little.

I'm expecting to catch lots of grief for mentioning Tiger among the worst dressed. Don't get me wrong, I think he looks fine all the time. I just don't like how safe/predictable the wardrobe is.

This is really hard to do. There are so many people that dress well on the tour now. Then you have to distinguish is dressing poorly the same as dressing "blah". I dont know the answer to that, but I am working on it.

Another one of my big pet peeves, mock turtlenecks. Fine for a casual weekday round, can't stand them on Tour.

And I forgot to mention Sergio. He looks good when he's wearing black and white, but I don't really like anything else. But I can't stand him altogether, so my judgment may be skewed a little.

I'm expecting to catch lots of grief for mentioning Tiger among the worst dressed. Don't get me wrong, I think he looks fine all the time. I just don't like how safe/predictable the wardrobe is.

I really do not think he is all that predictable other than the red. At the Masters he worse that shirt that was black with blue arms. How about this week. Light blue shirt with stripes. Nike does a great job of mixing it up.

Obviously he does not wear the crazy stuff, but to me there is a difference between crazy and outlandish and stylish. I think the JL stuff for the past two years is just plain horrible. But some really like it. Heck, even I liked one or two of their shirts.

I guess the question really is does the apparel work for the person. Like I think Stew Cink is one of the best out there. his clothes match his personality and they fit him perfectly.

I think my best dressed list would be:
Tiger Woods
Davis Love III
Brian Gay(most of the time)

Worst dressed:
JOHN DALY!!

Worst dressed = Henrik Stenson when he took his clothes off at the CA Championship. Or is that considered least dressed?

Worst dressed = Henrik Stenson when he took his clothes off at the CA Championship.

I think there are some ladies who would disagree with you.

i think John Daly and Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey are a couple of the worst dressers on tour. those oversized pleated pants he wears just above his butt crack just dont do him any favors.
And Daly just looks like a clown in my opinion now.

Dont forget about Woody on the worst dress. He gets bonus points in my book for being patriotic, but the shirt is just ugly.
woody-austin1.jpg

yeah, he wears some of the ugliest shirts ive ever seen

that is because they have to be water proof.

Adam Scott was one of the best out there until Burberry dropped him.

HA! I knew it!! You are an Adam Scott fan at heart!!!!!! :) I will be putting more pics of him up soon.

Another lesser known player who dresses pretty snazzy (as well as his wife who follows him around the course) is Eric Axley!!!!

http://golfurl.net/EricAxley

Im a Burberry fan. My encounters with Mr. Scott left me saying "WTF".

Axley is not lesser known on THP...hehe.
He used to be part of team Sligo.

Axley is not lesser known on THP...hehe.
He used to be part of team Sligo.

SEE! I know style when I see it :). I always thought he looked good!

We modeled our THP ladies shirts after something I saw him wearing ironically enough.

We modeled our THP ladies shirts after something I saw him wearing ironically enough.

Very cool! I should be ordering one of those shirts soon!

I forgot to mention Luke Donald. He would be on my best dressed list as well.
He always seems to somehow fit the exact mood of the day/tournament.

I forgot to mention Luke Donald. He would be on my best dressed list as well.
He always seems to somehow fit the exact mood of the day/tournament.

Okay, I totally agree JL! Forgot about him also. He does remind me of one of the characters from Lord of the Rings though....I just want to pat him on the head every time I see him.

Back