Passion in Professional Golf, Where Do You Draw the Line?

Bernoulli

Team Hackers 4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
There was some debate brewing today in the Workday Charity Open thread about Joh Rahm's on course conduct. Rahm is referred to as one who has a fiery temper and has passion. Is his on course behavior acceptable in professional golf?

Clown. I don’t like clowns.

You became a millionaire playing golf. Sponsors pay well too but will leave you. Don’t be a clown and we are cool

I said this in the Workday thread, but I'll reiterate my position. I very much dislike when people throw childish tantrums on the golf course. A buddy of mine frequently throws a club about 5-10yds after a bad shot, then complains about everything the rest of the round - really gotta keep you head on a swivel for flying clubs. This happens so often my other playing partners bet on over/under how many holes until a club gets let loose. We usually laugh and just tell him to chill out. It's gotten so bad that there have been rounds we have not invited him because we wanted to have a relaxing round of golf. Noted, we are not playing for money.

In professional golf, I lighten my stance a little because these guys are playing for boatloads of money. I still think it makes them look like a child, but you do you. Everyone is bringing up the argument that people do it in other sports and that is true. Players do throw helmets at the bench, break sticks, etc. I still think it looks childish and don't think it helps your game at all.

Let's not forget, these guys are also role models for a bunch of young kids. If they see the best players in the world slamming their clubs and the like, they will think it's fine for them to do it as well. I remember many many years ago playing football and I threw my helmet at the bench - boy did my father give me a talking. I've never thrown anything out of anger since then. I for one, would not want my child acting like that.

No, it really isn’t. I can’t think of a sport where a temper tantrum is fine.
Brady slams his helmet on the sideline all the time and gets in his lineman face when they miss a block. Everyone says what a leader Brady is and how he is firing up his team. Jordan punches Steve Kerr in practice and gets praised for his competitiveness. Somehow though in golf if someone show emotion it is the worst thing in the world. Any other sport people with emotion are praised in golf they are a pariah.

I don’t like dropping clubs to finish a swing or slamming clubs. But the club slamming crosses the line. But it’s like a car wreck, when the Rahm volcano erupts I can’t look away 🤷‍♂️

Personally, I think the terms "passion/passionate have become over used as a good excuse for losing one's temper, when things don't go their way. Especially with today's athletes.

Getting angry is a form of losing control of one's emotions. I just don't think losing control and having passion work very well together.

Clown. I don’t like clowns.

You became a millionaire playing golf. Sponsors pay well too but will leave you. Don’t be a clown and we are cool

I agree, to much asshattery in all pro sports. Leave the clowning around for this hack.😎

Brady slams his helmet on the sideline all the time and gets in his lineman face when they miss a block. Everyone says what a leader Brady is and how he is firing up his team. Jordan punches Steve Kerr in practice and gets praised for his competitiveness. Somehow though in golf if someone show emotion it is the worst thing in the world. Any other sport people with emotion are praised in golf they are a pariah.
I think the helmet slam and the getting in the face of a player are different. But I see what you are saying, absolutely. I think I draw the line with productive emotion - if there is a benefit, so bananas but if you are just slamming equipment I don’t see the productive nature. Brady getting in a guys face might be productive. Ive never heard of Jordan punching people but if he did, yikes. I certainly won’t defend it lol

I understand the immense pressure that is present on tour.
I also understand that these guys are playing for a lot of money.
I am fine with club dropping, aggressive waving, head shaking, sad faces.

I do not understand why they think it's okay to slam clubs.
I do not sympathize with millionaires trying to make more millions.
I do not think it paints a good picture of the game for anyone watching (particularly young people).

I'm on the fence regarding club snapping or launching a club into water. Both still look ridiculous, but instantly punish the player doing it.

I said this in the Workday thread, but I'll reiterate my position. I very much dislike when people throw childish tantrums on the golf course. A buddy of mine frequently throws a club about 5-10yds after a bad shot, then complains about everything the rest of the round - really gotta keep you head on a swivel for flying clubs. This happens so often my other playing partners bet on over/under how many holes until a club gets let loose. We usually laugh and just tell him to chill out. It's gotten so bad that there have been rounds we have not invited him because we wanted to have a relaxing round of golf. Noted, we are not playing for money.

In professional golf, I lighten my stance a little because these guys are playing for boatloads of money. I still think it makes them look like a child, but you do you. Everyone is bringing up the argument that people do it in other sports and that is true. Players do throw helmets at the bench, break sticks, etc. I still think it looks childish and don't think it helps your game at all.

I am going to disagree about helping your game. Everyone needs some way to release negative emotion and some are better than others. The releasing of that energy does help them play better because once it released it is gone. It is the people hold onto that energy that play worse.

For the record my line is club throwing, that is going to far.

I do not think it paints a good picture of the game for anyone watching (particularly young people).

I'm on the fence regarding club snapping or launching a club into water. Both still look ridiculous, but instantly punish the player doing it.

When someone breaks a club from slamming/throwing, it always brings a smile to my face. More expensive the club = bigger smile. Sorry if that's wrong.

When someone breaks a club from slamming/throwing, it always brings a smile to my face. More expensive the club = bigger smile. Sorry if that's wrong.
it's not wrong in my books to laugh at a grown man throwing a tantrum.
Golf is a mental game, and they are losing the battle pretty aggressively.

If it's once every 10 rounds or whatever, I get it. One snap, we all have them.
If it's every round, multiple times a round? There's just no way I'd tolerate playing with them. I'm taking time away from my family to enjoy golf, not watch a grown man justify a soother and a diaper.

I don’t even think there’s a fine line between clowning and passion.
1594317586888.gif
Edit: I think it’s pretty clear. Anything potentially physically damaging or mentally distracting is crossing the line.

I agree with this 110%. The only thing that I think I could add would be to point out that the answer is right in the title: Professional Golfer.

I think the helmet slam and the getting in the face of a player are different. But I see what you are saying, absolutely. I think I draw the line with productive emotion - if there is a benefit, so bananas but if you are just slamming equipment I don’t see the productive nature. Brady getting in a guys face might be productive. Ive never heard of Jordan punching people but if he did, yikes. I certainly won’t defend it lol
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ching-me-face-helped-relationship/3010280001/ Here is an article on the incident

I don’t like dropping clubs to finish a swing or slamming clubs. But the club slamming crosses the line. But it’s like a car wreck, when the Rahm volcano erupts I can’t look away 🤷‍♂️
I’m very anti eruption but I openly admit I’m not above dropping my club at the top of the finish a few times a season.
that headline! How bad does a relationship need to be that a punch to the face HELPS it 😂

Let's translate any of this to golf though...

1- Final stretch of holes, leader knocks one stiff on a par three, immediately goes over to his playing partner, gets in his face, and etc.
2- Same player on the next hole pulls his driver a bit off the tee, goes over to his caddie and gets into his face about not talking him out of driver etc.
3- Same player finishes his round and goes to the range with his caddie to work on things, punches him after not liking the distance calls on the day.

All of those things sound absolutely ridiculous for golf and I am personally glad they do. Showboating, unsportsmanlike conduct, aggression - all that BS is welcome to stay out of this game.

If you have to describe someone as fiery, when what you mean is ***hole, that's going to far. Full disclosure, I've been guilty a time or two of similar outbursts but I've pulled back on anything more than cussing myself out (normally quietly) and moving on.

I get that bad shots are frustrating but there are ways to release that frustration that are more productive and don't lead to others mimicking that at local clubs. We've all had days (or at least I have) where we questioned our love of the game when it went bad and we couldn't get it back but we don't all get free clubs to hulk smash on the ground or throw in the pond.

The impetus for this thread, in addition to the comments on the tournament thread, derives in part from an article I read today on Rahm on golfmagic.com. The article, written today, states that Rahm is known for his fiery temper and his passion. The article explored the effect of having the player's actions on the course recorded on camera . Obviously, it has to do with Bryson's episode last week. I'll leave an interpretation of the article up to each person's subjective beliefs. It's only fitting that the subject of the article, the fiery and passionate Rahm, has his behavior on display the very same day that the article appeared.

I'm old fashioned and remember when golf and tennis were for the most part played with tempers and outbursts tightly controlled. I would prefer the players not slam their clubs and get all bent out of shape too much. I allow myself one curse word per round and am currently 2 or 3 rounds ahead, so I can let loose a bit more next week :p

I'm old fashioned and remember when golf and tennis were for the most part played with tempers and outbursts tightly controlled. I would prefer the players not slam their clubs and get all bent out of shape too much. I allow myself one curse word per round and am currently 2 or 3 rounds ahead, so I can let loose a bit more next week :p
Ooo, tennis is a good one. They are super "passionate". That's why they bring backup rackets.

I kind of enjoy seeing a player blow up once in a while. When I see it all the time though it gets annoying.

Back