Pants/Shorts Temp Threshold

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Looking for a little help since this is something I typically don't have to bother with. As the title suggests, what is your temperature threshold for wearing pants vs shorts?

On the rare occasions I decide to wear pants instead of shorts, I usually go with ones that have some kind of breathable tech.

The weather for Chicago end of the month looks very benign right now (highs in the high 60s to low 70s). Think that might be ok for shorts.

I can wear shorts when it is 30 degrees out normally. For golf I will usually switch to pants around 45/50 degrees depending on the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a fan of wearing pants and layering I will wear pants up to 75-80* if not humid. 70* and under will almost guarantee pants???I say almost because I have become a fan of compressions pants under shorts who it's not not and humid.

IM shorts unless it dips under 60*

It's got to be below 50 before I even think about wearing pants. I would think anything in the 60s/70s is shorts weather in Chicago.

I do have a natural cold deterrent. Could easily double for this guy

CDUgQWsVEAAVnSK.png:large

Not sure anyone really wants to see that though.

If it is too cold for shorts on the course, I typically do something else that day. I will wear shorts down into the low 40's as long as it is sunny and the wind is calm. I am more sensitive to cold in my torso so I start wearing long sleeved shirts when the temps get below 70 and will increase layers up top pretty quickly when it gets colder.

I'm in pants until it reaches 95° or so I just think they're way more comfortable and help reduce sweating in unwanted areas.

If it's in the 50's then I wear pants!

Chicago is a bit south of me, and I'm sure the forecast will change at least 45 times before the event.

I've found that time of year is typically comfortable in either shorts will a long sleeve pullover or pants with short sleeves. Mornings will probably be quite cool (depending on how early we're starting), but most of the day should be comfortable. (Unless the windy city really lives up to it's reputation)

Chicago is a bit south of me, and I'm sure the forecast will change at least 45 times before the event.

I've found that time of year is typically comfortable in either shorts will a long sleeve pullover or pants with short sleeves. Mornings will probably be quite cool (depending on how early we're starting), but most of the day should be comfortable. (Unless the windy city really lives up to it's reputation)

Thanks, I'll plan for this. I have a couple of 1/4 zips that will be making the trip. Never played in a jacket/pullover though. Maybe that can be a built in excuse?

I'll wear shorts until the highs only get to 60-ish, even then I might break them out with a pull over or vest for 1st thing in the morning.

Thanks, I'll plan for this. I have a couple of 1/4 zips that will be making the trip. Never played in a jacket/pullover though. Maybe that can be a built in excuse?

I might be off track but I'm very particular about how 1/4 zips fit to play golf in. I like enough room in my shoulders, I'm wide there for my height, to not feel constrained but the sleeves/cuffs have to be tight enough that I can push them up a touch and they stay there. I hate a loose sleeve that slips onto my wrist.

I might be off track but I'm very particular about how 1/4 zips fit to play golf in. I like enough room in my shoulders, I'm wide there for my height, to not feel constrained but the sleeves/cuffs have to be tight enough that I can push them up a touch and they stay there. I hate a loose sleeve that slips onto my wrist.

Hmmm this is something I'll be looking out for. Unfortunately there's no way I'm going to try this in this heat/humidity down here.

I think I may just have to try and make it work. Thanks for the heads up

I wear shorts into the low 60's and any lower than that wear pants.

Temps matter but being fair skinned its more about when I'm not wearing shorts enough outside of golf to maintain some color. Don't want to be the white picket fence for legs guy and that time is coming soon....

Usually anything below 60 is pants weather!

I'm in shorts 99% of the time. If it is cool, I have several pairs of wind type pants I go to. Cool for me is anything under 60 degrees.

I'm used to the cold, but that doesn't mean I want to be cold on a golf course. If it's below 60 degrees (unless it's a 'warm' march day where 50 feels like 100 because of winter) I'll wear pants. My threshold for pants in heat is a lot higher than my threshold for shorts in cold.

Temperature wise, I can play golf in shorts until it is low 50's or high 40s depending on the wind. Wind gets going though I am going to opt for pants.

anything below 65 I will usually get the pants on. Depends on how sunny it is though. If there is no wind and lots of sun, I'll will even wear shorts until about 60. Conversely, if its a cloudy/grey day and some breeze, I'll even consider pants above 65.

Oddly, my decision to wear pants isn't about being warm or cold though (doesn't effect me that much), it's more a fashion thing for the type of day it is. For me, what I wear up top makes the difference on keeping warm or cool. Above 65, regular Golf polo. 60-65, a light long sleeve golf polo. Below 60, I start getting into the more thermal long sleeves or a cotton layer below the lighter long sleeve polo. I don't golf typically below 55 unless there is zero wind and not a cloud in the sky.

I'll wear pants once the temps get into the low 60s as a high. Other wise I'm a shorts guy.

Rule of thumb is 60* and I'll swap to pants.

I play in pants pretty regularly in my golf leagues (an unfortunate by product of golfing immediately after work). But on the weekends, I'm in shorts unless it dips into the low 40s.

80 and below I am in pants. If it is not humid at all I may go even hotter than that. If it is humid I will wear pants until 75 or so.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back