Okay, no update on colors BUT, I've done different paint fills on my clubs for several years and have messed with acetone to remove the old paint. I was bumming through the local Harbor Freight the other day and bought a kit of dental pick tools. After removing the paint fill from 3 of the irons, I would put this $5 or $6 set an absolute must if you want to save time on this part of the process.

They had a few sets to choose from but I went with the more expensive set because it looked and felt a little more heavy duty. They are SO sharp! I will advise you use caution when using them. This is a 6-piece set with 3 of them having picks on both ends. I will not be using acetone for this part of the process ever again. The tips are so strong and such a fine point, they get even the smallest gaps that I used to have to scrub and scrub and rub with anything I could find to get 'most' of it out. These get all of the old paint, right away.

The subject of the thread is Paint Fill Tools and these are a MUST if you want all of the right tools for the job!

2012-02-16 19.58.18.jpg
Thanks for the tip. Great find.

I don't have enough posts to post my pictures...so I will post my pic until I qualify forum posting rules.

I use gel type paint remover, and those works great. I just let it soak in for couple of minutes, and use my old toothbrush to clean it off. I tried acetone, but they evaporate too fast, if I am challenged with stubborn paint.

I guess you can use the dental picks to get the paint to the hard to reach areas too.

It doesn't show up well in the picture but the silver part of the back of the iron (everything except the 'Nickent 3DX Pro' letters) is actually silver paint! See post 647 for the before.

So, when I did paintfill in the letters and used some nail polish remover to wipe off the excess, the silver paint began to come off. YIKES!

So I have decided that my next task will be to paint the entire backs of the clubs. I have some metalic gold, silver & bronze spray paint from some trophies I made a while back and I think I can mask off the areas I don't want painted well enough to do that and that only. I'm thinking silver. Gold might stand out too much, and bronze is just a bit dark for my liking. I may do one with gold and one with silver and then decide.

There are only about 6 more weeks before the courses will open so I better hurry!

%5BUNSET%5D.jpg

I did get some other stuff done. For my MP T-10 wedges I went with a lime green in just the Quad Cut logo, the lofts and the Mizuno logos on the bottom. I'm doing a Maroon & Gold (yellow) Minnesota Gopher theme on the putter & 3-wood. More pics to come later.

2012-02-19%2013.56.05.jpg

My old putter was like that. Silver paint, which I thought was matte finish on the club. Ended up taking off everything to go with "naked" look. I am not sure I like it that much without the paint, and I guess I might have to try the paint spray method. Keep us posted

Has anyone tried the acrylics or lacquers. Just seems to open up a lot more color combos

Has anyone tried the acrylics or lacquers. Just seems to open up a lot more color combos

I have used acrylics in the clear colors. They worked just fine for me on my putter. I want another cameron because they fill so nicely. I am going to try nail polish too because there are endless choices.

I have used acrylics in the clear colors. They worked just fine for me on my putter. I want another cameron because they fill so nicely. I am going to try nail polish too because there are endless choices.

I did a few more with nail polish and it was soooooo easy compared to the Testors. I even bought a clear coat to finish it off and made it look so very nice. MUCH cheaper also, well the ones I bought were at least and it dries faster.

I did a few more with nail polish and it was soooooo easy compared to the Testors. I even bought a clear coat to finish it off and made it look so very nice. MUCH cheaper also, well the ones I bought were at least and it dries faster.

Pics or shens bro. I gotta see this fill.

sharpie's haha thats what i use (thats all i got)

SethO, you asked about using nail polish. You might have to scroll back a few pages to find the pics I posted of my clubs(I no longer have access to the original pics so hopefully they are still there). They were the Titleist 909, Nike wedges, Ping putter, TM irons all with orange paint fill on them. You mentioned that you saw that Rickie Fowler uses nail polish on his, well that's actually where I got the idea...and then stumbled across this thread after I'd done mine. Anyway long story short, mine were done in nail polish. I didn't really have any issues with bubbling, and some nail polish remover on a q-tip swiped over it lightly a time or two took the excess right off. The paint is kind of thin(it's all I've used so I'm not sure how it compares to what you're used to). It's pretty easy to work with though, I just kept adding the "brushfulls" of paint until it looked like I wanted it and then blew on it a little. Dry time was fairly quick.

SethO, you asked about using nail polish. You might have to scroll back a few pages to find the pics I posted of my clubs(I no longer have access to the original pics so hopefully they are still there). They were the Titleist 909, Nike wedges, Ping putter, TM irons all with orange paint fill on them. You mentioned that you saw that Rickie Fowler uses nail polish on his, well that's actually where I got the idea...and then stumbled across this thread after I'd done mine. Anyway long story short, mine were done in nail polish. I didn't really have any issues with bubbling, and some nail polish remover on a q-tip swiped over it lightly a time or two took the excess right off. The paint is kind of thin(it's all I've used so I'm not sure how it compares to what you're used to). It's pretty easy to work with though, I just kept adding the "brushfulls" of paint until it looked like I wanted it and then blew on it a little. Dry time was fairly quick.

Thanks for telling me bro. I am going to go see if I can find those pics.

How did you fill them in? Toothpick? Squeeze bottle?

I've used nail polish markers...yes markers. Boys take a stroll thru the makeup department of a H&B store, some have fine tips too in standard colors like black, white, gold & silver.

How did you fill them in? Toothpick? Squeeze bottle?

I literally gave the bottle a shake, unscrewed the cap and put the brush directly where I wanted to paint. I wanted to get as much paint in the area as possible b/c I was afraid of how much the nail polish remover on the q-tips would take off. If I remember correctly I pretty much filled numbers on the bottom of my TM irons up to the top, then dipped a q-tip in the remover, and rubbed back and forth over the number very fast. The thought process was that if I didn't keep the cotton on it long it would only get the excess. Not sure if the thought process was right, but it worked lol. Only bad part was that with the brush and the nail polish being thinner it might take a couple of coats. I did use a few toothpics to try to really get in the gaps, which helped a littled. I need to get my hands on some of those dentist tools someone had earlier.

What would happen if I tried to paint fill the grooves of an old wedge? I think it would look cool... how bad would the performance be affected?

I agree it could look neat but you'd lose some groove depth. Especially on a wedge, I wouldn't want to give up that advantage.

What would happen if I tried to paint fill the grooves of an old wedge? I think it would look cool... how bad would the performance be affected?

I think u would def see a loss in spin, but I think the paint would quickly come out of the grooves being used most frequently.

I think I'm gonna give it a try on an old junker wedge, just to see how it really works.

I have a technique question- with the enamel paints are you trying to cover all the surfaces of the indentation with a coat of the paint or are you literally filling the area and making a "pool" of paint which evaporates and leaves you with all the surfaces covered? I hope that makes sense.

I have a technique question- with the enamel paints are you trying to cover all the surfaces of the indentation with a coat of the paint or are you literally filling the area and making a "pool" of paint which evaporates and leaves you with all the surfaces covered? I hope that makes sense.

I can't really speak for the enamel paints as I used nail polish, but I definitely went with the fill the entire area in making a pool approach. Mainly b/c it was my first time and I had no clue how much the nail polish remover on the q-tip would actually remove with each swipe.

Back