One man scramble.

rhinosparky

Reaction score
Handicap
One of my favorite events/tournaments to play in is a One Man Scramble.
The format is just that, a scramble. You play two off the tee and take the best one and so on.
How many times have you missed a putt only to try it again and sink it?
It's fun and a little taxing (essentially 36 holes in 5 hours) but it makes for a good tournament and there isn't the rampant cheating as there is in a team scramble.
Anyone else play these?

Would love to play in one of these sometime! My player B is a stud :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, when time allows. Player B seems to always win though.
Player A vs B is different than this. You only record one score.
I tee off and my first one goes 240 but is in the rough right.
Second tee shot is 250 and right in the middle of the fairway. I pick up the 1st ball and then hit two from the fairway.
Same scenario. !st shot land next to the pin and the 2nd shoot lands in the bunker. I abandon the bunker shot and then have two putts for birdie. I make putt #2 and write down a three. On to the next hole.

I used to make my HS kids do this a couple times a year. Usually this way, scramble, and then in the immediate days after they had to do worst ball with themselves.

this sounds fun but a lot of swings, especially for me. do they send you out with 4 or 3 guys?

They are starting to become more popular around here (Idaho). Plus they eliminate the dreaded team scramble cheaters coming in at 26 under.
Always the magical 46 coming in at those :rolleyes:

this sounds fun but a lot of swings, especially for me. do they send you out with 4 or 3 guys?
Usually four. It doesnt take as much time as you would envision.
You are not required to hit it twice. Say you smoke a drive there may not be a reason to hit it again. If you chip in you might not hit again.

How many are going out at a time? This feels like it could take a while unless balls are being left behind.

The format is just that, a scramble. You play two off the tee and take the best one and so on.
It's fun and a little taxing (essentially 36 holes in 5 hours) but it makes for a good tournament and there isn't the rampant cheating as there is in a team scramble.
Anyone else play these?
I run a Thursday night game where I switch up the format every week. I usually do two man or 3 man teams but the one man scramble is my back up incase we get a weird number of players like 13 or 17. I do have a variation though in that you don't just get two shots. You can hit a 2nd shot but if you do you have to take that shot and can't use the 1st. It makes it interesting as if you hit a decent but not great shot from 150 out, do you risk hitting another one and potentially hitting a bad shot? It makes it fun and brings in some strategy.

I run a Thursday night game where I switch up the format every week. I usually do two man or 3 man teams but the one man scramble is my back up incase we get a weird number of players like 13 or 17. I do have a variation though in that you don't just get two shots. You can hit a 2nd shot but if you do you have to take that shot and can't use the 1st. It makes it interesting as if you hit a decent but not great shot from 150 out, do you risk hitting another one and potentially hitting a bad shot? It makes it fun and brings in some strategy.
I love that twist...adding pressure on the second one instead of a free swing

I usually try to do only 3 guys as it can be slower. If I have to do 4 then I try to make sure it's 4 of the faster players. The key is to play ready golf and make sure everyone has a 2nd ball ready to go so once you hit the first you then hit the next. It's not a bad idea in this one to actually have 3 ball with you. That way if you hit one farther but in trouble and don't take it you can hit the ball that's shorter along with your 2nd and then go pick up the other ball.

Anyone else play these?
Yes I play this often at a Par 27 Par 3 course. Our current record score is 22 (5 under).

Other variations of this are based on the tee shots:
-Hit two tee balls and play the worst one into the hole. Very good way to work on your scrambling.
-Hit two tee balls and play the best one into the hole. Gives you a good idea of your scoring potential.

Another benefit of the one man scramble is that you have an immediate opportunity to correct any mistake you made on the first try.

Anyone else play these?

I usually try to do only 3 guys as it can be slower. If I have to do 4 then I try to make sure it's 4 of the faster players. The key is to play ready golf and make sure everyone has a 2nd ball ready to go so once you hit the first you then hit the next. It's not a bad idea in this one to actually have 3 ball with you. That way if you hit one farther but in trouble and don't take it you can hit the ball that's shorter along with your 2nd and then go pick up the other ball.
How much under their handicap are players hitting?

We play one with a little difference sometimes....you can take a second shot, but if you do, you have to play the second

I love that twist...adding pressure on the second one instead of a free swing
I've seen someone go from an ok drive to blasting it OB on there 2nd (I've actually done it once) and having to play 3 off the tee. I also had one put his 1st shot from about 85 yards to about 18 ft for birdie. He though he would need to get a birdie to win so he hit another and chunked it. He ended up making a double and finished 2nd 1 stroke back. Had he just taken the 1st and made par he would have won.

I've seen someone go from an ok drive to blasting it OB on there 2nd (I've actually done it once) and having to play 3 off the tee. I also had one put his 1st shot from about 85 yards to about 18 ft for birdie. He though he would need to get a birdie to win so he hit another and chunked it. He ended up making a double and finished 2nd 1 stroke back. Had he just taken the 1st and made par he would have won.
I'm trying to play out scenarios like that to think where would I really pull the trigger for the second shot...but we all let ego get in the way sometimes thinking "oh I can beat that"

How much under their handicap are players hitting?
Probably around 2-3 shots for most on 9 holes but I've seen guys really go low. I think the first or 2nd time we did it I shot a 29 net 27. I've also had a couple where I only shot 33-34.

I'm trying to play out scenarios like that to think where would I really pull the trigger for the second shot...but we all let ego get in the way sometimes thinking "oh I can beat that"
The closer I am to the green the more likely I am to hit the 2nd. I pretty much will always hit a 2nd chip if I'm not inside 5 ft and have been known to hit another even though I was only 2 ft as I was trying to make the chip. The other things I think about it do I have a reasonable putt for birdie. If I'm 40 ft away on a par 3 then I may hit another. Hopefully it's better but if not I trust my short game enough to feel like I can still get up and down if I have two chips and two putts.

I used to make my HS kids do this a couple times a year. Usually this way, scramble, and then in the immediate days after they had to do worst ball with themselves.
worst ball is my nightmare hahaha

The closer I am to the green the more likely I am to hit the 2nd. I pretty much will always hit a 2nd chip if I'm not inside 5 ft and have been known to hit another even though I was only 2 ft as I was trying to make the chip. The other things I think about it do I have a reasonable putt for birdie. If I'm 40 ft away on a par 3 then I may hit another. Hopefully it's better but if not I trust my short game enough to feel like I can still get up and down if I have two chips and two putts.
Totally agree, once inside like 110-100 expectations will definitely get tighter and I'd be much more likely to hit 2

I often play that with myself, I'll play my ball and then 1 or 2 others to see what happens and it is absolutely due to the fact that if I had a "do over" I would have made that x, y, z shot.

It's a lot harder when you track everything on a watch but I've found that if I am quick with my subsequent hits they do not register or if they do I can easily delete them but it doesn't happen often.

I do it for practice quite a bit, always seems to help mellow me out a bit if I know I've got a second attempt at a shot!

Back