One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

I'm going to pick your brain between Aerojet and Forged Tec next time we play.
I found the Aerojet to be preferable to me with their launch characteristics.

9i for the mental hurdle.

The 4u will be very similar to the 5i
Definitely agree with this logic. Would maybe even go PW if you're planning to play that as a 10i

2020 Cobra Forged Tec or Edel SMS
hmm FT in the bag (sometimes) my gut says you’d lean OL FT then over the AJ. Even knowing the AJ profile is small, being able to look down at something you already familiar with likely eliminates any mental barrier that may be there visually.

hmm FT in the bag (sometimes) my gut says you’d lean OL FT then over the AJ. Even knowing the AJ profile is small, being able to look down at something you already familiar with likely eliminates any mental barrier that may be there visually.
May be right, especially if the one length gives me a more consistent strike compared to VL irons. I don’t mind large soled irons, but my burned out concrete muni sure doesn’t come summer.

Definitely agree with this logic. Would maybe even go PW if you're planning to play that as a 10i
Probably. I try to use my GW in a lot of various situations but PW has historically been a ‘full’ club only

do you mind elaborating?
I found the Aerojets much easier to launch than the Forged Tecs when I played them. And specifically I think the OL concept works better with the fast and forgiving face of the Aerojets. Granted, my Forged Tech set was VL, but I think that the shape and design of the Aerojet really allowed the OL concept to shine. I believe the same to be true with the Darkspeed.

More specifically, I think the 5 and 6 irons were very playable in the Aerojet OL. I’m not sure I would be able to get the ball high enough with the Forged Tec OL, but that could just be me. I am playing the King Tours now and I like them the best of the 3, but they are VL.

Dipping my toe back in the One Length game. Been seeing a trend all year where my Green % is 10-15% better with 8i vs my other 3 irons. Decided to build a set around my Forged Tec 8i. Going with AeroJet OL 7i, Forged Tec 8i, Forged Tec OL 9i, PW. All are at 8i length and with Dart V shafts. I have an AJ OL 6i built the same but not sure I'll game it. It gaps well for a 6i but I kind of need it to be a 5.5i for my bag.

When I played the '20 FT OL it was right when I got my Skytrak and I thought I was hitting the 9i and PW too high. Having played a couple different VL 9i and PW models since I don't believe that was the case, as I hit VL models similarly.
how did this mixed set of irons work for you?

I’m contemplating a set of the AJ the price drop . I’m waiting to see how much trade credit I get offered on an iron set I have collecting dust before pulling the trigger.

how did this mixed set of irons work for you?
It worked well. I had the AJ 6 and 7 bent 1* weak and the gaps were pretty good. Felt like the AJ 7i was more forgiving than I needed in that slot, and the AJ 6i and Tec 5u performed similarly, I just prefer the feel and aesthetics of the Tec utilities blending into the Forged Tecs more than the AJs.

I found the Aerojets much easier to launch than the Forged Tecs when I played them. And specifically I think the OL concept works better with the fast and forgiving face of the Aerojets. Granted, my Forged Tech set was VL, but I think that the shape and design of the Aerojet really allowed the OL concept to shine. I believe the same to be true with the Darkspeed.

More specifically, I think the 5 and 6 irons were very playable in the Aerojet OL. I’m not sure I would be able to get the ball high enough with the Forged Tec OL, but that could just be me. I am playing the King Tours now and I like them the best of the 3, but they are VL.
I had the same experience. I am playing some Callaway standard length now, but the ease of use of OL Aerojet compared to FT was better for me. I had a harder time with the FT 4/5 irons than the Aerojet.

It worked well. I had the AJ 6 and 7 bent 1* weak and the gaps were pretty good. Felt like the AJ 7i was more forgiving than I needed in that slot, and the AJ 6i and Tec 5u performed similarly, I just prefer the feel and aesthetics of the Tec utilities blending into the Forged Tecs more than the AJs.
yeah, the visual flow from the king tec utility into the forged tec is hard to walk away from, even with aerojet looking great

For those who have played or hit both, are the Dark Speeds that much an improvement over the AeroJets?? The price drop is calling my name. OL is an iron I migrate back to.

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a 3H OL Aerojet hybrid that was on sale and we will see how it goes on Friday. Right now my expectations are pretty low - my main reason for trying this club out is because I literally cannot make solid contact with my current 3H (Calloway 2022 Super Hybrid). I think the club length is messing me up, and switching to something the same length as my 7H which I hit pretty well might do the trick. I know I’ll be sacrificing distance, and it may just be better overall for me to use my 4H until I learn how to hit my 3H, but the price was pretty reasonable and I figured it was worth a shot.
How are you liking the 3H OL, been looking into OL hybrids as well, hows the distance and height?

Back