On Course Sales and Donation Pitches

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A couple weeks ago a group of us were playing in Orlando and twice encountered a charity table set up on a par 3 during a normal, full fare round of golf. Then it happened to me last weekend during a tournament.

I referred to these as “live pop-up ads” during the round and was more than a little annoyed by them. I get that these are expected during scramble rounds, but I have never seen these during a regular round of afternoon golf. The deal that was offered to us was a $20 spend, if you hit the green you get $20 in pro shop credit and some other small item. If you miss you get a $10 pro shop credit. We all bought in the two times we were asked.

So I ask, has anyone else experienced this? Would it bother you as much as it did me?

A couple weeks ago a group of us were playing in Orlando and twice encountered a charity table set up on a par 3 during a normal, full fare round of golf. Then it happened to me last weekend during a tournament.

I referred to these as “live pop-up ads” during the round and was more than a little annoyed by them. I get that these are expected during scramble rounds, but I have never seen these during a regular round of afternoon golf. The deal that was offered to us was a $20 spend, if you hit the green you get $20 in pro shop credit and some other small item. If you miss you get a $10 pro shop credit. We all bought in the two times we were asked.

So I ask, has anyone else experienced this? Would it bother you as much as it did me?
We have the hero tour or something. You enter for 20 bucks or so. Get a free tournament pass and if 2 or more people in your group stick the green you get pro shop credit. It supposedly helps veterans so I did it. 🤷‍♂️

I haven't seen that on a non-event day. At least not for a charity. In Vegas you can bet on yourself and I do religiously. For that small of an amount having to think about the whole thing would probably annoy me during a normal round. I mean, it you want to support it and you're confident you'll hit the green you're basically taking money out of the charity. I'm sure they come out ahead in the end but on a personal level I'd probably at best feel conflicted and annoyed by the whole thing.

Next time, just me the damn 20 bucks, BD. Don’t make this anymore difficult than it needed to be.

(I hate those things too, fyi)

I've run across them occasionally and I find them annoying. I understand it in tournaments/events, I don't understand it at all in random casual rounds. Depending on the charity I may or may not take part.

I've never encountered this outside of an outing, and imagine it would also irritate me if it was during a casual round.

I was wondering when/if this was coming… 😂
I am not a huge fan of them either but I don’t let them bother me on course.

I’ve only seen it in couple scrambles. One was you could bet up to $100, if you hit the green money back, if you got within 20ft you doubled your money.

I’m good for a scramble or tournament if It goes to a charity but not sure I would like it for a normal round.

I haven’t encountered this other than charity scrambles which I’ll do. During a regular round is a step to far personally for myself as it feels no different if a beggar wandered on course, the rates of playing is still pretty high and now add on the begging at par 3’s to statistically give them 20$ feels like a bad idea for the average golfer.

I have only seen it once or twice not in a charity event. I never know how money gets to the charity which makes me nervous.

Starting to see this more and more during non tournament rounds. I was with @Hibs @Greg Kulbick @Saywhat4412 and it was $20 each and all four of us needed to hit the green to win pro shop credit. We declined the offer and I felt we were given the evil eye. I’m not a huge fan of them.

I just say no. Sorry, but I’m not sorry. Myrtle Beach has a lot of this stuff.

Last edited:
Have never encountered during a regular round up here and only at charity tournament on a par 3 as part of fundraising for that event. I don’t mind in that forum but would be annoyed during a regular round.

Seems a little cheesy for a regular round. I’m a bigger fan of peace and quiet on the course. Maybe incorporate that stuff at the driving range or practice tee.

That happened a lot in N Carolina back when I had game. It was whatever you gave them they would double up to $20 if you hit Green. I always hit Greens on 3s so I didn't participate, did not want that Awkward moment when ball hits Green. I'd always donate after everyone hit. I'm weird like that... 😀

Starting to see this more and more during non tournament rounds. I was with @Hibs @Greg Kulbick @Saywhat4412 and it was $20 each and all four of us needed to hit the green to win pro shop credit. We declined the offer and I felt we were given the evil eye. I’m not a huge fan of them.
I forgot about that. Yeah I’m not a fan at all and it’s bothering me now thinking about it lol. In a charity tournament of course that’s to be expected. During a normal afternoon round is irritating. It’s Golf’s version of the iPad tip for a regular purchase.

I've seen that at a course I used to play, and yeah I did it each time I came to it even though I'm not really a fan of it as it wasn't a course that I was likely to spend dollars at the pro shop on merchandise anyways. That course has since closed and I haven't seen it at any others near me.

I’ve only encountered this during charity scrambles. I would not be a fan if I encountered this is a ordinary round of golf.

there’s a guy permanently parked on the par 3 5th at shingle creek here in orlando. fortunately he’s not too hard a sell and he’s a nice guy. but i’d prefer he wasn’t there.

there’s a guy permanently parked on the par 3 5th at shingle creek here in orlando. fortunately he’s not too hard a sell and he’s a nice guy. but i’d prefer he wasn’t there.
That is the experience that started this thread. He has a buddy at Champions Gate.

We always get this at different courses around Hilton Head we play. All the ones we typically get are buy in for 20 and if you hit the green you double your money into store credit but if you miss you get 10 in store credit.

Back