Old Man shakes fist at sky; handicap posting as a single

That's super cool that you wrote your own app, I love it! I might be wrong, but I thought that 18Birdies gave you a handicap based on rounds entered as well, just food for thought.
I actually do use 18 birdies to track total rounds and some other stats. I don’t love how they track 9 holes scores, a good 9 will really throw it off as they just double the 9.

I don't play solo very often, but if I did I would post the scores. Especially if I was somebody who played mostly solo rounds, as some in this thread (and others like it) have said. Realistically, what's more ridiculous - me playing 150 rounds in a year and only posting 10 of them when I happened to get paired with a rando (who couldn't care less about my game, handicap or score), or me keeping score honestly and posting all those rounds?

I understand the principle behind the rule, but it's still stupid and unrealistic. The Rules of Golf are written by rich elites sitting in ivory towers, and the USGA is completely out of touch with the realities of golf for the average person. We don't all play at high end private country clubs, with others keeping our scorecards and peer reviewed attestation at the end of each round. Hell, my buddies and I don't usually even know what each of us shot at the end of a round, I could write anything I wanted on my scorecard and nobody but me would know the difference. How is that any different than me posting a solo round?

have enjoyed reading the responses and, while I have no dog in the following fight, I do believe it is an important point:

when the handicap system was moved towards unification under the World System, the ending of posting scores was done against the wishes of the USGA but done to fit in with the world system. See also knee high drops...the USGA guys were arguing for placing. Had the pleasure of playing with one of the gentlemen who was on the committee and I picked his brain the entire round.

On a completely unrelated note he likely hates me now...

As stated in other threads....if you play many courses around the world a recognized handicap "card" is often required. USGA (in the U.S. likely administered by your state association) is an easy, recognized path to that requirement regardless of feelings on what else they may do.

Glad to see some common sense applies out here... I admittedly got myself a handicap so I could play at my local courses men's league, as they required it. I go out as a single quite a bit in the summer for some twilight rounds when it stays lighter out here in the Seattle area, more often than not I get hooked up with other folks or catch up with another single or twosome, and on a rare occasion I don't. I record my round either way as there is no stranger checking me on it, I only have myself and my integrity, which for the time being is enough for me to justify it.

I pay to play and post them. Rarely do I play a true solo round; most of the courses here are too busy and will just throw me in another group.

I would care a lot more about their rules if the USGA were paying me to play.

Since I retired and my game has gone to hell, I play most of my rounds solo. It just works out that way. People I used to play with are younger than I am and their game hasn't declined like mine has so I don't enjoy playing with them as much as I used to knowing that I'll be the one paying at the end of the round. I've also gotten to a point where
when I play anymore it as much about just being outside in the open air and beautiful surroundings of a golf course as it is about actually playing golf. I still mostly enjoy playing but it's no so much about having to shoot a low round like it was in the past. I believe it was three years ago that I last had a handicap card. I don't play tournaments
any more so I don't really need one. Back when I did play a lot more I typically played 27 holes at a time. This new rule about nine hole rounds would have really messed with that also. I used to post an 18 hole round and a nine hole round.

I don’t care what they say, I record scores even if I play by myself.
This is better than people who don't post scores and make up their own handicaps 👍🏼

I keep my handicap through the AGA ( Arizona Golf Assoc. ) and GHIN.
I post all my rounds, solo or not, unless just going out for practice, which is maybe 20% of the time.
How do they know I played alone? Who cares.
Stupid rule.

Yea it really is some dumb rules, i would say post them.

play an honest round and post an honest score, solo or not. you don't post an honest round and the only person you're bull***tting is yourself
people who don't play within the rules aren't going to let a little thing like playing in a group stop them from manipulating their score...

Yep, post them all. I don’t play many solo round anymore but I did when they first banned posting solo. I mainly use my GHIN to track the number of rounds played each year and for the small money games we play.

I'd say something like 95% of golfers in the world play by the Rules they agree with but ignore the Rules they don't like. So it isn't like the folks in this thread are unusual in any way.

Back