Old Edwards Club - Highlands, NC

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I had the chance to play the Old Edwards Club back in my hometown of Highlands, NC. The club was built in the late 90's by architect Tom Jackson and at that time is was called "Highlands Cove". The ownership has changed hands and it is now named as the title of this thread indicates.

We played there for my dad's 60th Birthday. I wanted to take my Nikon and document the golf course for the forum. I enjoy taking pictures of golf courses and I hope you guys enjoy the coverage. Unfortunately, I was only able to document holes 1 - 14 due to the weather but I figured I would put up what I have. What's great about this course is that it's a tale of two nines. The front nine, called "the valley", is called that b/c it's literally in the valley. The back nine is referred to as "the mountain" and when you see the pictures you will understand why. It's always a treat to be able to play any of the exclusive clubs back home and this one is no different. It has it all.

Hole #1

The first hole is a straight away par 5. The tee box is settled beneath the clubhouse and next to the large putting green. The Pro at the course is there to great you at the first hole, wish you luck, let you know about local rules, pin placements and he watches you tee off.

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

Hole #2

Difficult par 4. Mostly due to the approach shot. You will want to hit driver off the tee so you can have at most a 7iron into the green. What makes this hole difficult is the approach shot. The front and complete left side is guarded by a natural habitat and a stream. Got right and you are in the trees. Want to miss long? Think again. You either hit this GIR, or you pray for a lucky bounce.

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

Hole #3

My favorite hole on the golf course. I don't even know why. I think it's the epitome of Mountain golf w/ a splash of the links thrown in. Not a long hole, but you want to hit driver. There's no need not getting it over the crest in the fairway. Do that and you have a wedge in to a green with a massive ridge that runs through it. The front pin placement gives you options. Fly it past and use the slope or just go at the stick!

DSC_0181-1.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183-1.jpg

Hole #4

The first Par 3 and a tough one. It was playing 172 to the stick, as noted in the picture below. I've witnessed the only hole in one I've ever seen on this hole, so it has some good mojo.

DSC_0184-1.jpg

DSC_0185-2.jpg

Hole #5

Fun par 4. You can lay up short of the creek, which starts at 229, or you can try to fly it, which requires about a 260 carry. I always lay up because that's the smart thing to do and the hole is much wider at that point.

DSC_0186-3.jpg

DSC_0187-2.jpg

DSC_0188-2.jpg

Hole #6

Most incredible looking par 5 ever! Well, maybe not, but I think it's amazing. Massive elevation on the tee but you must be straight. Right you're in the woods and left you're in the water. You hit a decent drive and you're faced with the decision. Around a 220yard shot to carry water or lay up?

DSC_0189-2.jpg

DSC_0190-1.jpg

DSC_0194-1.jpg

DSC_0195-1.jpg

Hole #7

Shortish par 4 that requires at least a 200 yard carry to clear the burn. Don't go left into the bunker or right into the trees. Hit one straight and you will have a scoring iron in your hand.

DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0197-1.jpg

DSC_0198-1.jpg

Hole #8

Awesome par 3. Not too long, not too short, but just right. I think it was playing 138 to the flag. Big green on this hole that has some decent break in it if you're in the wrong spot.

DSC_0199-1.jpg

DSC_0200.jpg

Hole #9

Awesome par 4 to end the Valley side. Blind tee shot that must not go left. Hit a good drive and you will have about 150-160 in. The green is guarded left, right and short so it's best to take a little more club.

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

Hole #10

The par 5 that kicks off the Mountain side. Right is death and the place to miss on this hole is left. Hit a good drive and you will have less than 200 yards to the elevated green.

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

and here's a wicked shot of the green profile!

DSC_0207.jpg

Hole #11

The most incredible hole on the golf course. A very difficult Par 3 for a couple of reasons: first, the massive elevation on the tee, and secondly is that you must hit this green. There's no where good to miss at all. It was 192 to the stick yesterday and an 8 iron put me in the center of the green.

DSC_0208.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

Hole #12

I hate this hole. It's gorgeous and it's great for pictures but it just isn't user friendly. It's not long but you have to hit the fairway. If you do you have a side hill lie, uncomfortable yardage and you must hit into a green that severely slopes left to right. Everything about this hole is penal.

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

Hole #13

This used to be a Par 5, but now it's a Par 4. It doglegs to the right and it's a monster. Favor the right side in order to catch the slope in the fairway so you don't have to hit a long iron or hybrid into this green.

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

Hole #14

Tough par 4 and the last hole I was able to document. It's a fun but difficult hole. If you are brave you can hit driver but you must put the ball in the extreme right neck of the fairway. A hybrid is the smart play, but it will leave you with a 165-175 yard approach shot to a small green that you can't miss short, left or right.

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0217-1.jpg

DSC_0218-1.jpg

All in all, what an incredible golf course. It will challenge every bit of your golf game. You have to be creative and you have to be precise to be successful here. The staff is wonderful! The facilities are top notch, and the views can be breath taking. I'm proud to say that this course is from back home!

Man TC, that course is spectacular and those pictures really showed what Mountain golf is all about. I want to play that course buddy, thanks for the pics.

Absolutely gorgeous course. Looks like I'd have to brink at least a couple dozen balls if I were to play there, LOL.

Outstanding pics and nice review TC!

Not sure why, but hole 10 popped out to me as my favorite from photos alone. Looks like a very nice track that can be quite the challenge.

Outstanding pics and nice review TC!

Not sure why, but hole 10 popped out to me as my favorite from photos alone. Looks like a very nice track that can be quite the challenge.

10 is fun. It's not that tough though. It's tougher in Summer because anything that hits short of the green rolls down into the flat of the fairway. Your natural tendency is to take more club and be long but that green slopes back to front so you have to be careful with going long.

The course looks tougher than it is I suppose. I ripped the front 9 apart.

What an amazing documentary. Some great pictures you got there and what a great looking course. I reckon you guys walked it. LOL

Wow, that course looks amazing. Tight fairways all over, lots of elevation changes, and trees galore! I would love to play that course someday it looks beautiful.

What an amazing documentary. Some great pictures you got there and what a great looking course. I reckon you guys walked it. LOL

We aren't that serious. They don't allow walkers. You'd die going from 9 green to 10 tee anyway. You would love the GPS units on their carts dude. It told you how far you hit your shots, and how far you were from the hole. Crazy.

We aren't that serious. They don't allow walkers. You'd die going from 9 green to 10 tee anyway. You would love the GPS units on their carts dude. It told you how far you hit your shots, and how far you were from the hole. Crazy.

I love when they have those nice GPS units. Ive only seen a few places that have those. That couse actually was very reminiscent of the one we played yesterday. Some of it more treacherous and some of it not. But both the shotmakers type of courses.

Beautiful pictures TC and a great review makes me want to head to the Mountains for some elevated Golf views and shots. Your not kidding when you advise to stay in the fairway if you miss it's a round killer.

Those are the best, we have them on our carts at Bear and they are a life saver, plus they tell you where the carts in front of you are so that you don't hit into them when there are blind tee shots ect.
I'm coming down to NC and we are going to play that course.

Those are the best, we have them on our carts at Bear and they are a life saver, plus they tell you where the carts in front of you are so that you don't hit into them when there are blind tee shots ect.
I'm coming down to NC and we are going to play that course.

Sure thing. What's worst is that there might be 4 or 5 other courses back home that are better than this one.

I miss this.

The view from #12 tee is both spectacular and terrifying, I'm guessing a big high fade would'nt work. Thank you for sharing with us.

I miss this.

The view from #12 tee is both spectacular and terrifying, I'm guessing a big high fade would'nt work. Thank you for sharing with us.

A big high fade from me or you? It would be scary to play a fade as a righty on that hole. I have played with a long knocker that drove that green before. 90% of the time I'm on the bank on the left, which is pure death. I hate it. I wish they would at least shave the bank so you could play shots off of it. Instead I always have a 80 yard shot with a golf ball 5 feet above my feet. I sure do hate that hole dude. I never play it well.

A big high fade from me or you? It would be scary to play a fade as a righty on that hole. I have played with a long knocker that drove that green before. 90% of the time I'm on the bank on the left, which is pure death. I hate it. I wish they would at least shave the bank so you could play shots off of it. Instead I always have a 80 yard shot with a golf ball 5 feet above my feet. I sure do hate that hole dude. I never play it well.

Haha, either of us man. It's freaking settled, I'm coming home in June and playing mountain golf.

Haha, either of us man. It's freaking settled, I'm coming home in June and playing mountain golf.

Nice! Give me some notice and I'll try to pull some strings.

Thanks for the pics TC. The course looks like it would kick my butt, especially the par 5 with water left and woods right. Beautiful looking course though that looks like it's in great shape.

Wow! That course is stunning. Thanks for the pictures and descriptions dude

As always TC great write up and the pictures were great. That course looks amazing with its layout. I really like the little touches like the whiskey barrels and it looks well maintained. Thanks for sharing.

That's awesome TC. Man, I'd love to play some of the courses up around where you're at. Beats the hell out of the golf here in Raleigh, IMO.

wow really nice TC thanks for the pics i LOVE the rocks showing the hole number and the distances on the par 3 really neat looking. looks like a fantastic course.

wow really nice TC thanks for the pics i LOVE the rocks showing the hole number and the distances on the par 3 really neat looking. looks like a fantastic course.

I'm glad you noticed the yardage markers on the Par 3's. Those are exact yardages to the flag. They change them daily.

I'm glad you noticed the yardage markers on the Par 3's. Those are exact yardages to the flag. They change them daily.

wow i've never even heard of a course doing that before! thats impressive.

Awesome!!! Pictures are fantastic and course looks amazing!

That course looks gorgeous TC. I think I will have to make a trip out to the western part of the state this summer and play a couple of rounds with you bro.

Back