• New Tech

Votes: 53 96.4%
  • 30 Years old

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

TOAOST21

Reaction score
Handicap
the great debate on another forum made me think of this and i thought i would send it to the masses, how many of you have new clubs or the ability to get them (i.e price or availability isn't the issue) yet you choose to play older clubs. and putters don't count

make this into a poll that says Would you play newer technology or technology from 30 years ago. Price does not matter. id like to see those results lol

got it. great idea

my vote is in.

Weezy dont be afraid to comment in here. you make a good debate and I would like to hear more info on why you think 30 year old clubs are still as good as newer clubs. Should make for a good debate.

I've got 30 year old clubs rusting in the garage...there is nothing in the world better about them than the more recent versions I play with. Technology is a good thing and make hitting a golf ball an easier task than it used to be.

Not comparing myself to a pro obviously, but if there was something from 20-30 years ago worth playing, they would be playing it (see the few holdouts with Ping Zing wedges - prior to the groove rules).

Well the debate wasn't that they are better, it was that they are just as good. You can't compare some 30 year old blades to uber forgiving callyways or whatever. I actually said the eye 2s were as forgiving as anything on the market today. They were far ahead of their time but they were available. Alot of pros didn't use them because they looked weird but try some out, i bet you will be surprised how good they are. Stick your favorite shaft in em and you won't miss your new clubs imo. The copper ones look awesome too.

I want to hear your side of how there hasnt been any improvements since the superquad driver. How is FCT technology not an improvement? when you can turn the head and watch 8 different ball flight patterns. Id say thats an improvement.

ok i have a set of Ping eye 2's wanna know where they are...the man room in my house(don't laugh my fiancee lives with me so it was a good compromise). i could probably put the KBS TOUR shaft in them thats what i have in m irons yes i added those to the regular r9 head after switching from my tp versions which have the same shaft. i also have a old set of adams tight lies gt's and i chose to play my r9 tp's over them because they are very similar in size and the r9 tp's were way more forgiving and i hit the ball longer. so in ten years alone i would say that they made advancements. now i love my ping eye 2's but to say they are as forgiving as any of the irons out there today would mean you really do have no idea what is on the market today

bridges i already asked that i didnt get an answer or was too confused by the answer i got

I have tried quite a few sets of irons over the years, the most recent being Nickent 4dx Cb's and I keep going back to my Ping Eye 2 coppers. I don't think there is a better cb iron out there.

There is a huge difference in newer drivers, hybrids and balls over older stuff but irons? I don't think so.

I want to hear your side of how there hasnt been any improvements since the superquad driver. How is FCT technology not an improvement? when you can turn the head and watch 8 different ball flight patterns. Id say thats an improvement.

Well FCT won't help you hit the ball any better it just makes it easier to get fit. Generally you find the setting you like and leave it their, the same was acomplished with bending before but was difficult to get done. But i don't hit anything any farther than my old superquad or 905R. I traded up thinking i would get a big improvement and i didn't. I guess my numbers were maxed out with both.

I have tried quite a few sets of irons over the years, the most recent being Nickent 4dx Cb's and I keep going back to my Ping Eye 2 coppers. I don't think there is a better cb iron out there.

There is a huge difference in newer drivers, hybrids and balls over older stuff but irons? I don't think so.

you dont think there is a difference in 30 year old irons to say against todays taylormade r9 irons?

See i'm not the only one!

Guys its a matter of what YOU like. I hit the r9s and hated the feel but that was ME.

weezy my little bro has an r9 driver now he used to hit this horrid slice now with the closed face angle he hits em straight as an arrow without really distorting his launch angle...hmmmm improvement, and i believe its dj that has last years r9 and said on a bad day he likes FCT so he can make minor changes to his swing and face angle and work the ball back to where it needs to be. and spinscan im not disagreeing with the fact they are good or that the look sick but there and a snowflakes chance in hell im switching back, go get fit for a set of new irons and tell me they aint every bit better

Well FCT won't help you hit the ball any better it just makes it easier to get fit. Generally you find the setting you like and leave it their, the same was acomplished with bending before but was difficult to get done. But i don't hit anything any farther than my old superquad or 905R. I traded up thinking i would get a big improvement and i didn't. I guess my numbers were maxed out with both.

with the fct though, say im on the range before my round and im just hooking the ball and having big draws (right handed) i switch it over to the R position and BAM instant fix for the day. Say im a straight ball hitter and cant draw the ball set it between L an N and look there is a draw i know you still have to hit it obviously but with new technology it makes life so much easier on the course with just simple 10 second adjustment than having to fight a hook all day because im playing and old driver. Now i know other people play other drivers than r9 but its just an example.

Guys its a matter of what YOU like. I hit the r9s and hated the feel but that was ME.

yes i understand that completely but i just wanted your opinion on why you dont think there is a better driver than the superquad. Just a good little debate.

thats the thing though bridges a lot of companies have the option to change face angle on the fly now its great technology see how widespread it has become

thats the thing though bridges a lot of companies have the option to change face angle on the fly now its great technology see how widespread it has become

yup i think tech. has came a good ways in even the past couple of years..

I do actually like the fct but i don't think most people do so i really don't see them putting it out much longer. I like the ability to move the face some as my swing changes but i wouldn't say it helped me hit the ball better, since the neutral position was best for me. So like i said for me there hasn't been a better driver than the superquad.

I do actually like the fct but i don't think most people do so i really don't see them putting it out much longer. I like the ability to move the face some as my swing changes but i wouldn't say it helped me hit the ball better, since the neutral position was best for me. So like i said for me there hasn't been a better driver than the superquad.

your joking right? so if people didnt really like the fct then they wouldnt have made the supertri? wait they did make the supertri that has fct and also made a 3 wood with fct and also made hybrids with fct. But yet you say not many people like clubs with the fct? i dont know where you get that statement from because its not true.

also you say "I like the ability to move the face some as my swing changes but i wouldn't say it helped me hit the ball better"
when your swing changes id say the fct helps you, wouldnt you? thats the point of it is to have different ball flights so when your swing changes like you said you can adjust the driver to it.

im done for tonight. i will reply in the morning. cant wait to see what this response says. haha

i have to agree with you bridges, Weezy take a look at everyones sig anyone with an r9 wood or tp hybrid has fct, i love it and had an r9 driver just this year i hit the superfast better next year who knows i may like the ubertri better and switch back all i know is that most popular woods at my local club have been the r9 series WITH FCT, where do you get that most people dont like it better i have never heard one person on here or in person complain that it sucks or it doesnt make their life and game a little easier

I would be stunned if everyone dropped it that would include your beloved Cobra, TM, Nike, and the Nickent driver with the same style option

your joking right? so if people didnt really like the fct then they wouldnt have made the supertri? wait they did make the supertri that has fct and also made a 3 wood with fct and also made hybrids with fct. But yet you say not many people like clubs with the fct? i dont know where you get that statement from because its not true.

also you say "I like the ability to move the face some as my swing changes but i wouldn't say it helped me hit the ball better"
when your swing changes id say the fct helps you, wouldnt you? thats the point of it is to have different ball flights so when your swing changes like you said you can adjust the driver to it.

im done for tonight. i will reply in the morning. cant wait to see what this response says. haha

I wasn't trying to be argumenative this is just based on what i have heard people say. It just seems alot of people that i know or are at my club don't like the fct. They say it makes em want to tinker with their equipment rather than fix their swing. Like i said it didn't help ME any because the neutral spot fit me best and i never had to mess with it. I think the success of the superfast sort of proves that people don't really care about adjustability, they just want long, straight being a secondary consideration. Although I like the supefast head, i just couldn't control it with that super long shaft.

i have to agree with you bridges, Weezy take a look at everyones sig anyone with an r9 wood or tp hybrid has fct, i love it and had an r9 driver just this year i hit the superfast better next year who knows i may like the ubertri better and switch back all i know is that most popular woods at my local club have been the r9 series WITH FCT, where do you get that most people dont like it better i have never heard one person on here or in person complain that it sucks or it doesnt make their life and game a little easier

I would be stunned if everyone dropped it that would include your beloved Cobra, TM, Nike, and the Nickent driver with the same style option

I said i liked it, most people aren't golf nuts like people on this forum so they have different wants.

the old dudes at my club aren't golf nuts they simply enjoy not having to worry about changing too much with their swing or fighting a killer slice all day they just turn the face and play on lets ask JB he would know he def has the hook up with TM and would be able to tell us if they are gonna phase FCT out of clubs in the near future

Back