Offseason Project - Short Game Rebuild Challenge (shoutout @wormkiller)

mantan

24 WWGC Champions - Southern Twang
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In another thread lamenting golf improvement, @Wormkiller commented that anybody regardless of age has the ability to have a good short game. I wholeheartedly agree.

I shared how the last year plus, my short game has fallen off a cliff. I went from a decent, not great short game player to completely lost. I've bounced between a 13 and 14 the last 6 months and truly believe that my short game is costing me at least 2-3 strokes on my handicap. It's almost become a mental issue. I used to think of success as getting it within a few feet of the hole. Now I've had rounds where I'm just hoping a pitch or chip gets on a green.

I wish that was an exaggeration. Last league round I left a tee shot on a par 3 10 feet left of the green with a short sided pin. An aircraft career of green behind the hole. I skulled a ball across said carrier into a bunker and ended up carding a 6.

It's almost a mental issue like the yips right now. Zero feel. A ton of thin shots, chunked shots and an occasional shank.

According to The Grint stats, my driving accuracy the level of a single digit. Iron play, thankfully, is a strength of my game. I'm a pretty good putter - especially on putts under 10 feet ( have to putt everything out in league play). I'm usually a pretty good lag putter. My putts are a bit high because my scrambling is abysmal. A chip or a pitch often leaves a 15-20 foot putt with no realistic chance of getting up and down.

I've tried a lot of things the last 15 months. I took a lesson with a guy who used the Phil Mickelson 'hinge and hold.' It felt like the margin for error was really small...and I just couldn't make it work. I've gone through every short game is easy video on YouTube.

I practice 2-3 days a week and play weekly. I spend 60-65% of my practice time on short game. I do block practice and mini games to simulate playing in a round. But it feels like I'm Wile E. Coyote with the ACME box...great plans, but it blows up during a round.

So I'm going all in this 'offseason' with Dan Grieve's book '3 Releases' (It's sort of the offseason - the league I'm in plays all year, but winter golf is hit or miss, so I use November-March to experiment more in rounds, tweak equipment, try different balls.

This year it's all short game all the time. I started with a 90 minute short game practice session working 75% on Release 1 (which I've struggled with) and 25% on release 2 (which I feel better about).

I have to get this right. I truly believe I can get to single digits if I can just get a 'decent' short game.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share that can help are greatly appreciated!!

I am focusing on a similar goal after my data experience write-up where Jen mentioned that I should focus on short game a bit more because I will have a lot of those shots. I picked up “3 releases“ as well and am focusing on working on that. Dan Grieve also has an app where for $100 a year you can see videos of him explaining his system, practice drills etc. I think the videos work a bit better for me than just reading what he is saying in the book.

Good luck on your progress, look forward to following along.

My short game was incredibly variable but after a lot of dedicated practice and reading it has improved to become a stronger part of my game but it's not where it should be yet. After reading a number of books (I prefer that to watching loads of videos) I am convinced the secret is in the correct use of the bounce for the lie of the ball. So I worked on getting good contact on a good lie consistently using the bounce of the club and releasing through the ball - this book explained it best for me:

Your Short Game Solution: Mastering the Finesse Game from 120 Yards and In Hardcover – Illustrated, 26 Mar. 2015​

by James Sieckmann

I'm now at the point where I can get good contact on 10+ shots in a row with different wedges when I practice. Now that I have developed reasonably consistent contact I'm working on distance control between 2 and 30 yards... For height control I rely on different lofts to minimise the changes in swing. Most of this practice is off a mat which also lets me practice 5 different lies, but when ever I get to the course I try and spend 15-20 mins in the short game area - just trying out different lies....

A

My biggest opportunity is improving my putting so I’ve decided I’m going to find a well respected PGA putting instructor over the winter and take a series of lessons and commit to doing whatever else it takes to improve my putting, especially inside 10 feet.

If you can, find a place and time where you can practice with properly cut grass.
I'll put on my jacket and practice longer chips at a nearby chipping green early in the morning when I usually have it to myself!

The executive or Par 3 course is often used for practicing as well. Saw someone do a nice chip. Of course he did, he was practicing with a couple balls!
When I do that I will look behind a lot to make sure nobody is waiting. I also know spots on the course to check a couple holes back. I can see someone on the 2nd when I'm doing the 6th.

My short game was incredibly variable but after a lot of dedicated practice and reading it has improved to become a stronger part of my game but it's not where it should be yet. After reading a number of books (I prefer that to watching loads of videos) I am convinced the secret is in the correct use of the bounce for the lie of the ball. So I worked on getting good contact on a good lie consistently using the bounce of the club and releasing through the ball - this book explained it best for me:

Your Short Game Solution: Mastering the Finesse Game from 120 Yards and In Hardcover – Illustrated, 26 Mar. 2015​

by James Sieckmann

I'm now at the point where I can get good contact on 10+ shots in a row with different wedges when I practice. Now that I have developed reasonably consistent contact I'm working on distance control between 2 and 30 yards... For height control I rely on different lofts to minimise the changes in swing. Most of this practice is off a mat which also lets me practice 5 different lies, but when ever I get to the course I try and spend 15-20 mins in the short game area - just trying out different lies....

A

This sounds similar to Dan Grieve's stuff. I'd heard about using the bounce before and tried a few things I'd read and seen around it. This was the first book where the concept clicked for me. Previously it felt like a bit of a magic trick.

One of my biggest issues was (is) wanting to 'drag the handle'. The idea of returning the bounce to the ball felt (feels) foreign...but works really well.

If you can, find a place and time where you can practice with properly cut grass.
I'll put on my jacket and practice longer chips at a nearby chipping green early in the morning when I usually have it to myself!

The executive or Par 3 course is often used for practicing as well. Saw someone do a nice chip. Of course he did, he was practicing with a couple balls!
When I do that I will look behind a lot to make sure nobody is waiting. I also know spots on the course to check a couple holes back. I can see someone on the 2nd when I'm doing the 6th.

Finding a good short game practice area is the toughest part. Understandably, a lot of public courses don't put a lot into building/maintain a short game area. It's a lot of cost with no real revenue. The course closest to my house has a decent short game area. But they do a TON of junior clinics and classes and are a very busy course. It's often too packed to really get any work in. The other one less crowded...but has a small green with a ton of slope/undulation. When you're practicing, you want to see how your ball hits/rolls out.

I do 90% of my practice at a dedicated practice facility about 20 minutes away. It has a huge short game area that's free to use if you have a range card for the the (green grass) driving range. It has two sides with a huge green area. You can hit shots up to about 45-50 yards. It's well maintained, so it's like hitting form a fairway lie - but also has a large area of rough and bunkers.

The only downside is the 'green' area is mowed at the same length as the fairway. So it's great for practicing landing to a spot...but it doesn't react like a ball on a green.

Don't forget that you also want to see turf interaction as well as the landing. With the proper choice of wedge grind hitting it off the fairway should be much easier than hitting it out of the rough or grass that is worn down from excessive use.

by James Sieckmann

A
This is the best book I’ve found for short game after trying all the others .

In another thread lamenting golf improvement, @Wormkiller commented that anybody regardless of age has the ability to have a good short game. I wholeheartedly agree.

I shared how the last year plus, my short game has fallen off a cliff. I went from a decent, not great short game player to completely lost. I've bounced between a 13 and 14 the last 6 months and truly believe that my short game is costing me at least 2-3 strokes on my handicap. It's almost become a mental issue. I used to think of success as getting it within a few feet of the hole. Now I've had rounds where I'm just hoping a pitch or chip gets on a green.

I wish that was an exaggeration. Last league round I left a tee shot on a par 3 10 feet left of the green with a short sided pin. An aircraft career of green behind the hole. I skulled a ball across said carrier into a bunker and ended up carding a 6.

It's almost a mental issue like the yips right now. Zero feel. A ton of thin shots, chunked shots and an occasional shank.

According to The Grint stats, my driving accuracy the level of a single digit. Iron play, thankfully, is a strength of my game. I'm a pretty good putter - especially on putts under 10 feet ( have to putt everything out in league play). I'm usually a pretty good lag putter. My putts are a bit high because my scrambling is abysmal. A chip or a pitch often leaves a 15-20 foot putt with no realistic chance of getting up and down.

I've tried a lot of things the last 15 months. I took a lesson with a guy who used the Phil Mickelson 'hinge and hold.' It felt like the margin for error was really small...and I just couldn't make it work. I've gone through every short game is easy video on YouTube.

I practice 2-3 days a week and play weekly. I spend 60-65% of my practice time on short game. I do block practice and mini games to simulate playing in a round. But it feels like I'm Wile E. Coyote with the ACME box...great plans, but it blows up during a round.

So I'm going all in this 'offseason' with Dan Grieve's book '3 Releases' (It's sort of the offseason - the league I'm in plays all year, but winter golf is hit or miss, so I use November-March to experiment more in rounds, tweak equipment, try different balls.

This year it's all short game all the time. I started with a 90 minute short game practice session working 75% on Release 1 (which I've struggled with) and 25% on release 2 (which I feel better about).

I have to get this right. I truly believe I can get to single digits if I can just get a 'decent' short game.

Any thoughts or experiences you can share that can help are greatly appreciated!!
I don’t believe I ever said this but good luck with your goal, wil definitely be following :)

I don’t believe I ever said this but good luck with your goal, wil definitely be following :)

You are correct, sir. My mistake. It was your thread, but @Sean 's comment. :)

Another 75 minutes today working on Dan Grieve Release 1 and 2. It's rained a ton in DFW this weekend so things are just drying out. I'll be able to get another 2 hour practice session in Friday afternoon. Probably 75 min short game and 45 min full swing and will play on Saturday.

A lot of work today was on the chapters about hitting out of the rough and uneven lies. I feel really comfortable off a flat fairway lie. But last round I really struggled on a course where you had pretty thick rough around the greens and I struggled.

Good luck, following…

Another 2 2/1 hours of short game practice the last two days. And 30 minutes of full swing, lol! I'm of those players who doesn't hit a ton of full swing shots when things are working well. I'm my own worst enemy about trying to tinker with my swing when it's working. I hadn't made a full swing shot in two weeks. So was happy when it was dialed in out of the box. I spent most of the time on the full range working on Dan Grieve's system for pitching (30-90 yard shots)

I play tomorrow morning. I really just want to see some competent short game play. Not the blades, chunks and two shots to get to the green that have plagued my game.

I feel pretty good about what I've studied in the book....just need to see if it shows up on the course.

Ugh. All that practice this week. On #2 I had a simple 30 foot chip with plenty of green. The lie was decent...in the rough but not buried. And I promptly skull it across the green.

The coup de grâce was a long par. It was playing 190 in to the wind and has water on both sides of a crowned green. Pulled my tee shot into the water. I had a pitch back up the hill. Just get it on the green. Period. I hit a release 2 pitch but didn't hit it hard enough going back up the hill. I was on top of hill but didn't make the green. I probably should have putt it. But instead I skulled a pitch off the other side of the green. Then skulled another one back across.

I ended up with an 8.

I hit two good chips all day. And a lot of ugly ones.

It's SO frustrating to work so hard at this and still struggle mightily. My playing partner knows what I'm working on and uses a similar technique. He did tell me after the round that I was getting very wristy rather than powering the chip with body rotation.

I'm hoping it's just something I'm subconsciously doing and that's the issue next time. I'll go practice 3-4 days this week....but the issue is it's just not translating.

I've had some struggles as well. Some of it is concentration and staying down on the shot. I had to find a setup where i hit the ball first consistently. Doing better now. I also putt whenever I can. BTW Anna Norquist on LPGA admits she isnt a good chipper and its amazing how far off the green she putts from. Having said that I'm sure here bad chipping is still better than mine LOL!

Ugh. All that practice this week. On #2 I had a simple 30 foot chip with plenty of green. The lie was decent...in the rough but not buried. And I promptly skull it across the green.

I'm hoping it's just something I'm subconsciously doing and that's the issue next time. I'll go practice 3-4 days this week....but the issue is it's just not translating.
Expectations are too high. If you are in the rough grass may get between the club and the ball. Or maybe not.
Turf interaction requires firm grass. There might not be enough grass for good turf interaction.

Being in the rough is a penalty. Expect to lose shots.

With grass between the ball and the club you aren't going to get spin no matter what.
My preference is for a high lob shot. The descent angle will stop the ball.
The other is to have it hit the green with very little speed, perhaps bouncing it off the edge of the rough with a chip and run.

Last edited:
Short game practice is cheap, easy, and never not productive.

Paging Kevin Kisner….

I agree that the short game is obviously easier for people to get good at than the long game, especially chipping and short pitches.
Ball striking being equal, to excel at the short game you still need the clubhead speed to generate spin when its needed on shots to tucked pins and such.

@mantan Once in a while I completely muff a chip/pitch, and there are days when I struggle with it a little bit, and days where it all goes right. I remember when I started working on it and like anything else golf related it took time, but it was worth it.

The main reason I devoted so much time to my short game was because I wasn't hitting a lot of greens, and wasn't getting up and down much either. I've shaved quite a few strokes off my score because of a solid short game.

Best of luck and hang in there.

When I started working on my SG, my biggest flaw was taking the club too far back and decelerating. Subconsciously I realized that if I hit the ball with that kind of back swing it would go too far. It's important to accelerate through the ball (including putts and bunker shots). Recognizing that, I started shortening my back swing and accelerating through the ball. It took a while to engrain that move, but for me it was the key to developing a good short game. I see a lot of golfers decelerating because they take the club too far back.

Another thing I do when I practice is put the ball in a variety of positions, from very tight lies, to lies where you can barely see the top of the ball. From that I've learned how hard I have to hit the shot. For example, a 30 yard chip from a tight lie has a shorter swing than a 5 yard shot where the ball is deep buried in the rough.

Are you able to practice under actual course conditions? I expect weekends to still be busy as folks try to get in the last round of the season, but during the week there are times when the course I play is empty.

Are you able to practice under actual course conditions? I expect weekends to still be busy as folks try to get in the last round of the season, but during the week there are times when the course I play is empty.

Just don’t treat the course like a driving range. Our superintendent counted 23 shots take from a spot about 2’ in diameter. Needless to say he’s got game cameras everywhere and the culprit had his ass handed to him.

Today I got to the chipping green early, so I could practice longer chips with nobody else around. I used three balls and practiced hitting out of the rough. The 52 gap wedge works the best for me on 20 yard chips. I also practiced with my 56 and 58, A good drill was to hit out of three different lies to the same spot on the green. One buried in the rough, a decent lie in the rough, and a tight lie.

A lot of clubhead speed has the disadvantage of thinning the ball deep into the woods if I miss.
An alternate approach is a slow flop that lands softly. If I hit it ball first or barely use the bounce it won't travel as far as I miss.

I play on sticky mud that may be a lot different than the hardpan lies I see in videos where folks can thump the club against the grass.

Back