Official Rant of the Day

That was a me a few days ago and after feeling better this weekend, this morning I have no taste or smell 😕 Thankfully the kids have been at their moms but this is going to put a huge damper on christmas.
I live near farmland and can confirm I haven’t lost my sense of smell. But we’re supposed to see everyone this weekend, so I am being extra cautious even though it may result in huge suckage. Sorry to hear about the Rona and the timing. Hope you recover quickly!

Not being a native I had to look that up.

What? It sucks here, too cold for me but my wife is from here and she wants our son to graduate from the local high school. So I'm stuck here for another 4 years minimum.

Well, I wasn't aware of what you were referring to. I am guessing that Australia may be a place that doesn't really experience much of a Winter, except maybe for the far southern part of the country which is the closest to Antartica. Where I, and now you, live, we can get everything during the Winter. We can get warm and dry, we can get frigid and snowy! The coldest temps I have experienced here is -22*F! The warmest is +104*F! That's quite a range!

I live near farmland and can confirm I haven’t lost my sense of smell. But we’re supposed to see everyone this weekend, so I am being extra cautious even though it may result in huge suckage. Sorry to hear about the Rona and the timing. Hope you recover quickly!
I wish you a quick recovery from whatever ails you. I hope it isn't Covid, especially with the holidays and family gatherings coming up. At least the fertilized farm fields feature fast fragrance for facial faculty findings.

I am guessing that Australia may be a place that doesn't really experience much of a Winter, except maybe for the far southern part of the country which is the closest to Antartica.

In Sydney the high during winter is around 60°, but at Christmas it could hit 112°. The ski fields aren't that far south, about an 8 hour drive SW of Sydney, still in the same state.

The day is not starting off the way I had expected. This time of the year with work definitely takes a lot of joy out of the season for sure. Time to just try to drown out the noise and worry about what is in my control.

The day is not starting off the way I had expected. This time of the year with work definitely takes a lot of joy out of the season for sure. Time to just try to drown out the noise and worry about what is in my control.
Sorry, dude.

There’s not enough daylight hours this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People know the answer to their own questions - and know it's a negative answer so instead of "taking ownership" and just giving the answer, they ask me the question. Typically I reply with "what is the rule / policy" whatever it may be, they answer that and then go to the associate or another manager or whatever and say "Daluteh told me x, y z" - when in fact no, I don't make the rules I just enforce them to keep us out of court. You know the rules as well as I do, it's just not always acceptable to do whatever you want and not be legally compliant. They pay me for two reason: 1 - take care of our people and 2 - keep us out of court. THATS IT (not really - but it should be)!

"We approved something, so we need to make sure you guys approve it before the end of the year."

Why would we approve something your agency already approved? One of my coworkers and I are surprised the agency processed this task correctly, not needing our intervention, but are still cautious there's something waiting to bite us. It has to be a trap.

People know the answer to their own questions - and know it's a negative answer so instead of "taking ownership" and just giving the answer, they ask me the question. Typically I reply with "what is the rule / policy" whatever it may be, they answer that and then go to the associate or another manager or whatever and say "Daluteh told me x, y z" - when in fact no, I don't make the rules I just enforce them to keep us out of court. You know the rules as well as I do, it's just not always acceptable to do whatever you want and not be legally compliant. They pay me for two reason: 1 - take care of our people and 2 - keep us out of court. THATS IT (not really - but it should be)!
I get that a lot...

There's a particular person of significant local authority who likes to dabble in business that falls under my authority. When he shows up and attempts to mislead me in order to get an answer that he wants I really don't like it.
If I did that in his regular business I'd get a vacation in a government hotel room... the kind with bars.

Today is officially the first day of winter. No explanation needed.

On the brighter side, I’m one day closer to the start of the golf season.

There’s not enough daylight hours this time of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Give it a day. Then you'll have a few more minutes than you had today. And a few more after that... and so on as it's winter solstice today and the days only get longer from here.:D

Unless the universe pulls some "you think 2020 was bad, watch THIS!" type of move...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

More nose swabs 😖

Love it when an analyst asks my opinion about a deal, doesn't like my answer and then asks someone else until they get the answer they want. Just take ownership.

Don't be an ask-hole

I just spent 40 minutes on the phone walking someone through a process I don't do, and don't have access to view the input side of in the system, by using the manual we create for agencies so they can do it. Ended up working, but man, that was not easy. I had to the same thing this morning for a different process, but I least I have input access and could do some trial and error with numbers to get it to work.

I'm ready for a nap and made a proclamation I was done reading emails for the day. I wonder how my boss is going to take that when she gets back from lunch and finds out.

Give it a day. Then you'll have a few more minutes than you had today. And a few more after that... and so on as it's winter solstice today and the days only get longer from here.:D

Unless the universe pulls some "you think 2020 was bad, watch THIS!" type of move...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ha! you're right. Good point. Tee time this Thursday at 12:16pm. :)

Mother Nature definitely wants to remind us that it's Winter Solstice today.

Sunrise: 11:10 am.
Sunset: 4:47 pm.

And we're under a severe snowstorm warning. It hasn't stopped snowing since yesterday morning.

At least the days start to get longer again starting tomorrow!

Yep! Which puts the lie to the idea that the days get shorter in the Winter and longer in the Summer. It's exactly the opposite.

And we're under a severe snowstorm warning. It hasn't stopped snowing since yesterday morning.

Wow! That's a late sunrise! Our sunset here in Ohio today wasn't much later at 4:57 PM, but our sunrise was at 7:45 AM. When my Mom was alive, I felt that she was a victim of SAD, Seasonal affective disorder, because she just hated these short days. So, I started a little tradition with her. I would be sure to call her every Winter solstice and tell her that it was the shortest day of the year, and that every day for 6 months would get a little longer each day. And then I'd offer to bring over some pizza to celebrate!

Last edited:

Wow that is crazy. i’m sure all that snow looks beautiful though!

Yep! Which puts the lie to the idea that the days get shorter in the Winter and longer in the Summer. It's exactly the opposite.

Wow! That's a late sunrise! Our sunset here in Ohio today wasn't much later at 4:57 PM, but our sunrise was at 7:45 AM. When my Mom was alive, I felt that she was a victim of SAD, Seasonal affective disorder, because she just hate these short day. So, I started a little tradition with her. I would be sure to call her every Winter solstice and tell her that it was the shortest day of the year, and that every day for 6 months would get a little longer each day. And then I'd offer to bring over some pizza to celebrate!
Yep, not much daylight up here this time of year. I definitely take vitamin D to help offset that!

That’s a really nice tradition with your mom.

Wow that is crazy. i’m sure all that snow looks beautiful though!
It definitely can!

3.25 hours spent shovelling and blowing the snow after work today though. Lol

It’s actually most pretty when it’s -40° because it’s usually clear skies!

I did a double take when I saw the time for sunrise. It took me a minute to remember that you are in Yukon. 😆

This is a real BS rate for late December in Pennsylvania.
1640153507681.png

Back