Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop just got hit with a huge virus and won't even start up anymore. I have too many important things to just completely wipe it out so I am going to boot from a Anti-Virus recovery disk. Only problem is I have no idea how to write to a CD or even what kind of CD I need.

Do you have system restore Dent? If so, you might be able to open in safe mode and restore to a previous time, before the virus hit.

My laptop just got hit with a huge virus and won't even start up anymore. I have too many important things to just completely wipe it out so I am going to boot from a Anti-Virus recovery disk. Only problem is I have no idea how to write to a CD or even what kind of CD I need.

It's not hard at all. Just go somewhere you can use another computer and YouTube what you're trying to do. There are plenty of videos on there showing you how to do it step-by-step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have system restore Dent? If so, you might be able to open in safe mode and restore to a previous time, before the virus hit.

That's what I was thinking duey, but I can't even get far enough to choose to boot in safe mode. It just restarts in a continuous cycle the first few processes. I did find a way to system restore through some boot setup but It didn't work, still cant even get to the user selection screen.

That's what I was thinking duey, but I can't even get far enough to choose to boot in safe mode. It just restarts in a continuous cycle the first few processes. I did find a way to system restore through some boot setup but It didn't work, still cant even get to the user selection screen.

What is your OS? XP?

Sorry to hear that buddy, I'm not much help from after that point, lol. Good luck, someone will have an answer that helps.

Can you get into Safe Mode by hitting F8 when it's starting up?

Can you get into Safe Mode by hitting F8 when it's starting up?

I can get to the screen to choose safe mode but once I do I get the blue screen saying it needs to shut down and I can't get any further, it just keeps repeating this process.

I have to go do some things or I would stay on here and help you. If you can get into Safe Mode go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r /f This will run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Let me know how it goes. Hopefully it works if not I'll be back on here later tonight.

hey dent do you have a copy of vista? or another laptop or desktop?

I have to go do some things or I would stay on here and help you. If you can get into Safe Mode go to a command prompt and type chkdsk /r /f This will run CHKDSK to fix the file system. Let me know how it goes. Hopefully it works if not I'll be back on here later tonight.

He's already said he cannot get into Safe Mode.

I'm going out on a limb here, but guessing he has another computer as he's still posting and I dont see a phone note. j/k

I lost all my disks for this laptop but my mom has a laptop, no idea where her disks are, If you are thinking about just starting fresh I could do that cuz I have an XP disk laying around but I have far too much on here that I can't lose.

Agh, yea it shuts down before I can even get to command prompt. Thanks for your help anyways Green.

I'm going out on a limb here, but guessing he has another computer as he's still posting and I dont see a phone note. j/k

lmao... he could be typing it on his typewriter and sailmailing his replies... j/k

lmao... he could be typing it on his typewriter and sailmailing his replies... j/k

I'M going out on a limb and saying that I bet Dent has never used a typewriter! And if he has, then he's never used a manual typewriter!

I'M going out on a limb and saying that I bet Dent has never used a typewriter! And if he has, then he's never used a manual typewriter!

Great point Smally

What other typewriter is there other than a Manual one? Is the Manual the one with just the keyboard and it punches letters onto the paper with ink? I haven't used one of those. We have a like a 9 year old dell down here that is still going strong that I am on right now. My mom has a laptop as well but I don't use it.

We just got a new all in one and the Sony Pro Duo card will not come out of the card reader. I spent most of last night talking to Gateway. Just frustrating. It wont pop out and there isn't any type of eject button. I feel like such a tool. I wont even let the kids touch the mouse and I screw this up lol. Aye.

What other typewriter is there other than a Manual one? Is the Manual the one with just the keyboard and it punches letters onto the paper with ink? I haven't used one of those. We have a like a 9 year old dell down here that is still going strong that I am on right now. My mom has a laptop as well but I don't use it.

There are manual typewriters and electric typewriters. The electric ones are like a computer keyboard for ease of use. The manual ones you have to press harder to get the keys to strike the ribbon.

Here is a manual, and this one looks kind of like the one we used to have. Notice the return lever on the left - - - no "enter" key:

rsp.jpg

One thing to note about the manual typewriters, they had numbers, but no "1" key. You made a 1 by using a lowercase "L".

And here is an electric one. On some you were able to change the heads so you could use different typefaces. The manual one, you were stuck with the one. Notice it has an arrow to the left and no return lever.

ibmselectric.jpg

Google Chrome is supposed to be light and fast yet it always seems to crash on me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back